PDA

View Full Version : Radiator leak !

lowrider
23rd November 2008, 12:24 PM
I noticed that my coolant was below the max level and yesterday noticed a small damp patch on the ground below the radiator. Upon limited investigation (would need to remove the trim under the bumper) I noticed a wet patch at the bottom right hand corner of the radiator. Can anyone advise if there is a pipe located there or if this can be fixed. I'll speak to my mechanic tomorrow but if anyone could advise me today I'd appreciate it.
Might be on the hunt for a new radiator (hope not):ragin:

Andrew

lowrider
25th November 2008, 09:03 PM
Bumpo:smilewinkgrin:

Gismo
25th November 2008, 09:34 PM
No way for us to tell :frown: you have to check it out visibly, the leak could be elsewhere and simply dropped onto the bumper lip and fed it's way to the lowest point.
If you have auto air con don't discount that damp patch it leaves behind

GCA3N
26th November 2008, 06:46 PM
This is a common fault in the mini's. I hope it is not the radiator, but sounds like it is. I have a 5 year old cooper and the radiator went this year. £300 it cost to replace....bummer.:argh:

lowrider
26th November 2008, 08:09 PM
Had a look today, its the plastic elbow which looks like its attached to the radiator.The elbow looks like it is a separate part with large hose attached to it. I phoned Mini parts today and they guy said there is no elbow ! He faxed me the mini coolant diagram which does only show a hose.There is an elbow attached to another hose but not one shown coming from the radiator itself. Can anyone advise me on this ? I know the parts dept can be rubbish but a non existent part ? The elbow looks like it attaches to the bottom left hand side then the hose is attached to it with a jubilee clip. Can anyone tell me if it is actually a separate part or actually part of the radiator ?

Craig
26th November 2008, 09:10 PM
are you sure this isn't you air con? I think it sits in front of the radiator on the front of the MINI ? That might explain the diff in diagrams... :confused:

have a look at www.realoem.com as it gives you all the diags and you can see what he sees and then work out what it might be... ;)

lowrider
26th November 2008, 11:04 PM
Cheers, the diagrams are the same as the ones the guy at the parts desk faxed me. It is definitely an elbow joint, which is either a seperate part or a part of the actual radiator. The diagrams don't show it . I have checked the radiator and air con radiator diagrams and none show an elbow attached to the radiator.:argh:
HELP !

C.Noble
26th November 2008, 11:06 PM
Is your car a S or a Cooper (or a Diesel!)?

What age is it?

Does it have air con?

Auto or manual?

lowrider
27th November 2008, 12:27 AM
Cooper, petrol

2002 51 plate

Air con (climate)

manual

lowrider
27th November 2008, 06:21 PM
Mini centre had a look today apparently it is the elbow attached to the radiator which is part of the radiator so they quoted me £180 + vat for a whole radiator ! The parts guy did say that the elbow looks like it bolts on but they cannot sell it seperate ! If anyone has a 2002 cooper radiator that I could buy to salvage the elbow part I would be greatful as spending £180 when the rest of the radiator is perfect seems crazy. If anyone knows of where I could find a used radiator for a 2002 cooper withair-con leave me a message.

Cheers, Andrew.

lowrider
29th November 2008, 01:31 PM
Update....

I called a raditor repair shop who told me that the radiator elbow bolts on an has a rubber gasket. A phone call to mini confirmed this but guess what, they don't sell the gasket seperately ( probably a £1 part) you have to buy a full radiator at £180 :thud: Why design a radiator with replacable gaskets which can't be bought ? Looks like I'll be looking for a gasket then !