PDA

View Full Version : Koni FSD Vs JCW Dampers - Opinions?

ELFMAN
22nd November 2008, 06:37 PM
I've been looking into various further mods for the car (it's a recognised medical condition - 'Cannyleaveitaloneitis') As part of a bigger (and quite interesting!) package, Lohen have mentioned that the Koni FSD's are pretty good. However, my JCW Suspension is not too shabby at all. Anyone tried FSD's and in particular has anyone had a comparison with the JCW (R53) setup? The Koni's will be better than the STANDARD 'Sports Plus' I've no doubt, but whether they're a worthwhile swap from my JCW dampers is debatable. Any ideas most welcome!:thumbs up:

Gismo
22nd November 2008, 08:48 PM
What are you wanting from any kind of suspension set up, handling or looks etc?
Will you be tracking the car?

ELFMAN
22nd November 2008, 10:44 PM
Purely road use, and no lower than it is, as the lower plastic lip at the front already snags on speedbumps and can ground on crappy roads. I've always reckoned the JCW setup is a good all-round compromise for everyday use. It's about 10mm lower than standard which helps a bit without skelping every bump in the road. Lohen said the Konis would improve the ride, but I don't want to compromise the handling as the JCW's ride is acceptable and a lot better than the 'Four Bricks' original Sports Plus! I did consider going for Coilovers, but after a bit of pondering and wallet-searching decided that was OTT for my car.

So it's all about maximising an everyday road setup. It's probably going to get Eibach Anti-Roll Bars and Powerflex Front Wishbone Rear Bushes just to replace the old items which are 5 years old next month.

Gismo
22nd November 2008, 10:52 PM
Hmm, i'm thinking that upper and lower strut braces will give you what you want.
Reading between the lines, i reckon you're ride (ooerr :blush:) is as hard (or soft) as you want it and that you purely want limited body roll when cornering.

So, my advice, get upper and lower braces :thumbs up:

Edit: Just realised you already had the upper brace, so, a lower brace to compliment the car

Ivano
24th November 2008, 09:48 AM
Never had them but i have heard very good stories about the Koni FSD...And the fact you don't want the car any lower, they would work well with your JCW Springs..

I think most people who run FSDs are just looking for a better damper rather than for lowering... As us lowering brigade tend to go for Coilovers or.... Then regret it on our Scottish roads and for me switching back to something like the JCW Set up which i currently run and love

I believe LOHEN fit a lot of Koni FSDs with the standard springs.

ELFMAN
25th November 2008, 09:14 PM
Cheers guys, I'm pretty happy with the way the car handles and rides at the moment, which is why I was looking for advice before messing with an already good setup. I have the JCW Strutbrace already, and the car doesn't have bodyroll to speak of, so I'll keep an open mind. With the other small tweaks I mentioned above, it should be pretty well sorted in the suspension department, but I'll ask Lohen to clarify the differences between the JCW and FSD Dampers. Good to hear what everybody thinks though!