PDA

View Full Version : Mini2 Gathering - it's cheaper than you think!!

Gismo
9th April 2004, 07:57 PM
Noticed this on MINI2 (http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55779) looks like they are planning a big gathering and if i read it right they are looking for regional volounteer's, anyone from here fancy putting their name forward :)

It's being staged at Heathrow which appears to be the best :evil: place for the all international's to arrive at :eek:
Call me cynical, but it's also where the majority of the organisers are based.

I won't be attending this event, mainly due to uncertainty of work commitments, but, to base the event so far away to cater for a very few internationals flying in to attend instead of being a wee bit more central in Britain that would ensure more attendees from all over the UK would go

Heather
9th April 2004, 09:17 PM
I had noticed that one of MINI2 but, like yourself, found it a bit strange that this was felt to be the most central point. Its not one I think I could get to.

Burple
9th April 2004, 10:18 PM
not this time...
too far... and to many other things on the go I'm afraid.

And when I met some of them at Mini In the Park last year, they didn't seem too keen to chat unfortunately... :(

Willie M
9th April 2004, 10:33 PM
Doubt I'll make this one myself either. Heathrow's just a wee bitty too far away for me too :(

It'd be a pity if NMS wasn't represented though, and it does look like they're looking for a regional coordinator. Calum, Seany ? ;)

Monsta Mo Mini
10th April 2004, 04:05 AM
Someone else methinks...the south east always seems to think the world revolves around it!

Willie M
20th April 2004, 04:05 PM
Was just checking back on this thread in MINI2 today.
I see there's been a lot of feedback / interest from Scotland then 8)

Julz
20th April 2004, 04:16 PM
Well I say sod the lot of 'em!! Why don't we start our own website dedicated to the Scots!! What does everyone think?? I thought newminiscotland would be a good name!!;):D

Willie M
20th April 2004, 08:53 PM
Hmmmmm...
You might just be onto something there Julz.

Fontal
20th April 2004, 10:14 PM
I'll go I'll go ;);) I think not it's just slightly to far for me to go.:p:p

Julz
10th May 2004, 04:07 PM
Ok, ok, so it's me!!:I

It's Rob's birthday the day before the big bash and I was going to treat him to a long weekend in London, so this will tie-in nicely!! (but please no-one tell him as it's a bit of a surprise :eek:).

BUT, we'll be flying down, BabyB will be left sleeping in the garage!!:(:evil:

Julz
11th May 2004, 05:31 AM
RIGHT, now that we are definately going, it has been decided that we will be travelling south on the thursday and back on the sunday, what's even better is the much cheapness of the flights!!

£16 there, £14 back with British Airways!!

So, can I not convince any of you other loaded people to come and join in (Rob'll be in his kilt which is always worth a giggle, and I suppose I'd better wear a frock!!:eek::kiss:)

Gismo
11th May 2004, 05:05 PM
quote:Originally posted by Julz
£16 there, £14 back with British Airways!!That's not a bad price :cool: but it is from Stanstead :evil:

Julz
11th May 2004, 05:09 PM
Nope, Edinburgh to Heathrow

The total cost for us to fly there and back is £118 (£30pp for taxes:eek:), which still ain't bad!

Surely I can convince some of you to go too!!;):D

seany
11th May 2004, 09:53 PM
can't make it

Duncan Stewart
12th May 2004, 04:57 PM
Enjoy yourself Julz & fly the flag for Scotland.
I'm afraid formal dress dinners aint my cup of tea so I'm not planning to go.

seany
12th May 2004, 08:28 PM
Duncan it's not my cup of tea to

Julz
12th May 2004, 08:54 PM
It's not the formal dinner I'm fussed about, especially as Rob will be in full Scottish regalia and I'll have my posh frock on, so it will be a night of much merryment with a bunch of like minded folks!! Plus, if I'm in London anyway!!;):D

Julz
13th August 2004, 09:27 PM
Just incase anyone is interested, the location has changed to Northampton (near enough to BBR to tempt anyone??):D

Gismo
13th August 2004, 09:32 PM
Why did it change???

Julz
13th August 2004, 09:36 PM
It was starting to get a little expensive using the Marriott, Northampton is actually easier as I can get return flights for two from Edinburgh to Luton for £75! We'll still be going to London for a few days first though!:clown:

The Dogfather
14th August 2004, 07:02 AM
Glad they moved it further North but it's still in the South of England. Why O Why can't they see beyond the home counties? Surely Leeds or Manchester would be more central. Bloody Southerners!

Vicki
17th August 2004, 05:58 AM
I'll be attending this event. I really love the M2 guys and just spent the whole weekend with about 150 ish MINIs doing the Cotswolds run :)

Look forward to hopefully meeting a few of you there.

Julz
17th August 2004, 05:33 PM
quote:Originally posted by bad dog mini

Glad they moved it further North but it's still in the South of England. Why O Why can't they see beyond the home counties? Surely Leeds or Manchester would be more central. Bloody Southerners!

Aye, more central for us, but that's impractical!! They're trying to keep the venue as close to London for the purpose of the rest of the world, as this event is not just for the Brits, there are people from Oz, Canada and the likes going, so if they can make it......:sleepy:

We'll see you there Vicki!!;)

Gismo
17th August 2004, 06:00 PM
Aye, more central for us, but that's impractical!! They're trying to keep the venue as close to London for the purpose of the rest of the world, as this event is not just for the Brits, there are people from Oz, Canada and the likes going, so if they can make it......:sleepy:
I'm afraid i don't see the argument that keeping it closer to London is more practical, there are many major airports that fly to/from the USA and others every day which are more convenient for the whole of the UK, even Aberdeen has direct flights.

However, it is the organisers decision where to host the event etc

Julz
17th August 2004, 06:56 PM
I know what you're saying Alan, as it's really only a convenient location for those down south, and there are alot from further north, but still, Heathrow and Gatwick are more convenient airports for everyone! I can't see Aberdeen being convenient for anyone except some of us, and I'm afraid to say, there are more of them than there are of us!! Nobody else seems to be complaining about the location, and considering the cost of flights to Luton, Stanstead etc.. (near London....;)), it's probably not that much more expensive than travelling by car anyway!! Anywhooo, it's like you say, it's for the organisers to decide on location and considering the numbers that are going regardless of location, it doesn't seem to be a problem!8)

Gismo
17th August 2004, 07:45 PM
I fully agree with you, however, i didn't nominate Aberdeen as an airport to be used, merely pointed out the fact it handles direct flights to the USA ;)
As for Heathrow etc, i checked from various points in the USA about pricing and availability to the UK using Opodo, turns out that Manchester is cheaper to fly to than either Heathrow or the current location :evil: and no, Heathrow and Gatwick are not any more convenient for visitors than Manchester, Birmingham and Glasgow

Anyway, as you say, there are more of them than us, it's their party, but to say that "there are people from Oz, Canada and the likes going, so if they can make it...." implying that maybe we should is a bit off
I have attended many more MINI2 runs than any other member on here and feel i have done my bit to fly the NMS flag.

Not trying to be offensive here :I it's just my point of view, i still consider it too far for me to travel, but, if it had been more central to all of MINI2 in the UK then yes, i may have attended

Julz
17th August 2004, 08:06 PM
Alan, they 'so if they can make it...' comment was in no way directed at you as I know you are our worldwide representative, it was more aimed at two personal messages I have received from parties who shall remain nameless (but will hopefully take the hint:mad:), and I quote, "why should we bother our arses travelling all the way down there, would it not be fairer for those selfish english lot to move the location further north to enable some of us more northerly people to attend".
I still think the location is purely for ease of the organisers, otherwise it would be like me trying to organise a mini run in Newcastle, not very handy and a little impracticle!
Unfortunately it seems to be the Scots who are putting in the lowest appearance (namely me!!) so we can't really grumble as it has been noted that our input on M2 has reduced of late, this was another heated debate I was involved in via PM's last week as certain people were claiming the Scots were too cliche (or however you spell it), as somebody (another un-named person:dead:) pointed out that we were not getting very involved, so I happened to mention the location, and then the volcano errupted:disapprove: and so it goes on, I get moaned at from you lot, and I get moaned at from them, so maybe I'll just not bother all together!:eek:

Big Gordy
17th August 2004, 09:00 PM
There,there Julz sit down and have a sweetie :) Feel better how,gooood :p:D:approve:

GAJ
17th August 2004, 09:01 PM
Time to kiss and make up I think!:kiss::kiss::p No tongues though!:dead:

soggy
15th September 2004, 08:42 PM
I'm quite dismayed to see some of the comments here and would like to offer a bit of guidance as to the organisers thought process for this event..........

Firstly we chose London as we hoped for a significant number of folks to be flying in. Heathrow seemed a good option as it has superb links to all countries, it was also close to some of the regional airports such as Luton to enable budget airlines to be used too. Now, as it turned out the hotel being close to Heathrow was very expensive so we made a tough decision and decided to relocate. We specifically moved it further North to cater for additional UK folks. Alan, your comment that it was London because the majority of organisers are based there is wrong ( you cynic :p :D ) One is near Blackpool, one is in Norfolk, two are in Northants, one was in Oxford and is now in Wales and one is in London !! We do not have a south east bias and nor do we consider the World revolves around us ;)

As organisers we do need to be in regular contact with the location and with local suppliers - hence Northampton as it is central(ish) to the team and two of us are local to manage that activity. We are also making a big commitment to get the event going. last night we held a planning meeting in Northampton - and people travelled from London, Blackpool and Thetford to make a 2 hour meeting - at own costs and out of valuable time.

So please do not think we have chosen the location to be awkward or selfish - far from it. I do understand it's a long way and a big expense for anyone to come down from Scotland for it, but it is also a long way for others. And for the organisers we will be spending more time and money organising the event than you would travelling to it!!

I posted a thread on this forum without realising this discussion had taken place. I'm delighted Julz is coming, Alan I was hoping to meet up with you again but understand if you cannot make it. I would love for more of you to be there - and yes it may be a formal do but you Scots do that far better then us English with all your kilts and kit ;)

The event is a charity thing with a bit of fun, we do not want to create any angst or bitterness so please understand our point of view too.

I really hope some of you can make it - it would be good to have you there, and I'll buy you a pint if you do :)

Thanks for listening

Bob :)

Gismo
15th September 2004, 09:31 PM
I always congratulate people who make any effort to organise an event of any kind, especially when it's mini related as well, too many people just do not realise the amount of effort a simple run takes and for you guys to take on this event deserves even more credit than you're currently getting.
It goes without saying that if the organisers reside in the little parish of england then to organise the event anywhere else in the UK would be at best daft :I
I could "pick" into your comments, but do not see the need and provide only my thoughts :blackeye:
We had a charity run recently where a large number of MINI2 members joined us, not every date is suitable to all, for me, my work is so erratic that i can only attend events at little notice.
I simply cannot commit to your event as i have to book flights and accomodation whilst not knowing if i can make it or not and am not prepared to take the loss of deposits etc

I can only comment on my own specifics, but, i would have to wonder why only one newminiscotland member was able/willing to attend.
By stating that people are flying in from all over the world only goes to antagonise those up here, i guess.

As mentioned before, i have attended many more MINI2 runs than anyone else from NMS and do not have any regrets or gripes, often travelling down on a friday and returning after the run on sunday.

I will make one promise though :p if i am not away working i will travel to the event, i can only guarantee that 1 week before it happens, so, if someone can take a hotel booking with a refundable deposit book me up :) have kilt will travel, i also want that pint you promised

I do not feel any animosity or bitterness and will continue to attend as many runs as i can

Please remember i only speak for myself here :)

Scottie
15th September 2004, 09:45 PM
From a peronsal point of view. The location of a event would stop me from attending if it was something I wanted to go to. However a Ball is not my cup of tea.

soggy
15th September 2004, 10:00 PM
Thanks Alan :)

And Alan - and anyone else - there is no deposit on the hotel room so you can book that and cancel up to the day itself ;)

Gismo
15th September 2004, 10:14 PM
quote:Originally posted by soggy
there is no deposit on the hotel room so you can book that and cancel up to the day itself ;)
I'm booked :eek:;)

soggy
15th September 2004, 10:32 PM
Feck, thta's going to cost me a beer :( :p :D

Gismo
15th September 2004, 10:57 PM
:( :p :D

You'll have to learn the short cuts for NMS, they are different from MINI2 :)

Julz
15th September 2004, 11:01 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

Yaaaaay!!:D Fingers crossed you can actually make it so that we can drink all Soggys beer on behalf of all the Scots who would like to come, but can't!!;):p:D

Gismo
15th September 2004, 11:11 PM
Julz, how are you getting down, still flying, if so i can't take the chance, so, i'll be driving :question:

Scottie
15th September 2004, 11:14 PM

there is no deposit on the hotel room so you can book that and cancel up to the day itself ;)

I'm shocked youre going:eek:

Thought it was only women who could change their mind.:D:blackeye:

Gismo
15th September 2004, 11:18 PM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop
Thought it was only women who could change their mind.:D:blackeye:
Well, i will be wearing a skirt :evil:;):cool::I

Julz
15th September 2004, 11:24 PM

Julz, how are you getting down, still flying, if so i can't take the chance, so, i'll be driving :question:

Yup, still going by hairyplane!!:clown:

Thing is Alan, you may be able to get some last minute el cheapo deals, just don't know til the time comes!!;) We're flying Eeeeeasy Jet from Edimburger to Luton for £75 return for the twa of us!:D

Scottie
16th September 2004, 12:09 AM

[quote]Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

We're flying Eeeeeasy Jet

Don't you mean Sleazzy Jet.:D

Cheaper from Inverness to Luton. They have just started the route and it cheap as chips.:cool::kiss:

Gismo
16th September 2004, 12:12 AM
We're flying Eeeeeasy Jet from Edimburger to Luton for £75 return for the twa of us!:D
How are you getting to the hotel from there

Julz
16th September 2004, 12:24 AM
We're actually going to London on thursday for a long weekend, then by train to NH, but I think there is a shuttle bus to and from Luton to NH!! Have a wee shifty here (http://www.london-luton.co.uk/)

soggy
16th September 2004, 05:30 PM
And I'm sure they'll be some of the usual suspects travelling up from the south past Luton en-route to Northampton who may be able to squeeze you into their cars ( and I'm not even attempting a smilie here :D :rolleyes: )

soggy
18th September 2004, 02:00 AM
Are you on your own Alan or bringing your (much) better half :p

Vicki
27th November 2004, 07:16 AM
Im really looking forward to this event!Ive booked a room at the Ibis hotel across the road from the moat house, from going on the Cotswolds run i know that the Ibis is literally 2 jumps over a set of traffic lights haha!

Cant wait to meet you Julz :) U should definetely try and swap ur flight tho if at all possible like someone else said, im travelling from Luton to Inverness in march and checked out a flight on easyjet site and it was £35 including all the taxes and rubbish! BARGAIN!!! lol

Gotta try and sort out my frock soon- i dont usually do dresses lol.

xxxx

Julz
27th November 2004, 08:30 PM
We're actually flying in on wednesday night and having a few nights in London so it's the only way I'm afraid!! I promised I'd take Rob for his birthday which is the friday and I'm buying his prezzie down there (Breitling watch, only one retailer round here, and 6 in the one street down there!!;)):D:D

Julz
9th January 2005, 10:05 PM
quote:Originally posted by Vicki

U should definetely try and swap ur flight tho if at all possible like someone else said, im travelling from Luton to Inverness in march and checked out a flight on easyjet site and it was £35 including all the taxes and rubbish! BARGAIN!!! lol

My logic tells me not to travel north to an airport to fly south again!!!;):D

Booked the tickets earlier, what fun, site kept crashing and their customers services is pish!:mad: Anyway, 2 return tickets for £51.60!! Bargain!!:D:D (plus £30 return bus fare from Luton to Northampton!!:clown:)