PDA

View Full Version : Car Thieves Die During Pursuit

Gismo
18th November 2008, 07:44 AM
Read the story here (http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Oldham-Police-Crash-Cop-Correct-To-Chase-Christopher-Morrison-Cassie-Fox-And-Paul-Bunting/Article/200811315153189?lpos=UK_News_First_Home_Article_Te aser_Region_5&lid=ARTICLE_15153189_Oldham_Police_Crash%3A_Cop_Co rrect_To_Chase_Christopher_Morrison%2C_Cassie_Fox_ And_Paul_Bunting)

Obviously a tragic loss of life, but, in general terms not knowing the full story, my sympathy vote reduces significantly for folks that steal cars and are prepared to drive as dangerously as this.

I'm choosing my words carefully, i don't want to comment on this particular case cause i don't know all the facts, so, please remember that when replying.
Also, sympathy to the remaining passenger and hope that another young life is not lost.

Always when an accident like this happens the driver was a good guy/gal, harmless etc

Scottie
18th November 2008, 09:06 AM
my sympathy goes out to the families of those who lost their life.

It is unfortunate that the story ended how it did. The people in the car made a choice by being in the car and driving at those speeds the risk to life was greater.

If however it makes other people think twice about stealing and driving away from police at speed.

ianking
18th November 2008, 09:42 AM
Sympathy for the families of the passengers but at the same time the passengers most likely knew the person driving the car and therefore most likely knew it was a stolen car so shouldnt have been anywhere near it.
The person who was driving and stole the car, driving it at 80mph in a residential area isnt really a big loss to society I would say.

mini saltire
18th November 2008, 10:03 AM
When I was 18 years old (some 14 years ago) my pride and joy (a Nova 1.4SR) was stolen from outside a pub in North Berwick on a Monday night. I was inside playing in a pool league match, I was there for 2 and half hours. I left the pub sober and realised my car had been stolen. I called the police and they asked me where I was and they were very shirty with me.:confused: They told me to stay where I was and they would come and get me. I then rang my Mum and Dad who were very very concerned as they had the police sitting with them asking if they knew where I was (this was obviously before the mobile phone age) because my car had been involved in a fatal accident and the driver had fled the scene. I can't imagine what they must have gone through until I rang them!! The police had put 2 and 2 together and figured it must be me as my car at the time had not been reported stolen. My car had been driven into Edinburgh and 30 mins after being stolen a 14 year old boy was driving and lost control of the car and went side-on into an oncoming car. His 17 year old front passenger survived as did the 16 year old girl behind him but the 15 year old boy behind the driver died at the scene. They had lost control and hit an oncoming Volvo. The driver of the Volvo would never work again due to her injuries. The driver ran off and left his friends to die. They eventually caught up with him and he spent some time in Falkirk's young offenders.

I had to go and collect my belongings from my car which was an awful experience. The police had little remorce for the 'joyriders' as they get to see the damage they cause others.

My insurance went from £350 a year up to £850, I got back a smaller sum than the car was worth and then the lady that got hit tried to sue me for having the car stolen????? :ragin::ragin:

euan
18th November 2008, 10:50 AM
That's a nasty story there.

I know there are few others on here who watch the "Police Chase" type programmes, and you see the folk on there who've nicked cars and driving them like idiots - they are full of bravado and no brain cells. Now, that's a sweeping generalisation, but typically they have no thoughts for others.

I feel sorry for the passengers though - they usually know what they are doing but are only doing it to fit in, particularly the girls.

As for this crash, as has been said, it's not a great situation for the families involved and sympathy to them. However, if you drive like a w***er, regardless if you own the car or have stolen it, with no regard for yourself or others, your not going to get a lot of sympathy from me I'm afraid.

AndyP & Lenore
18th November 2008, 11:14 AM
Mark I cannae believe the woman tried to sue you just because it was your car. I hope that lawsuit was thrown out before it got started.:frown:

This is a tragic incident, regardless of cause, fault or whatever. But like others have said, you reap what you sow. But it could be the case that the passengers were - albeit mixing with the wrong crowd - possibly even trying to get the driver to stop. Mixing with bad eggs shouldn't automatically label you as a bed egg with no morals, just questionable judgement. However, the driver........:frown:

A.:sad:

The Dogfather
18th November 2008, 12:53 PM
Passenger or driver, if you're in a stolen car then that's the risk you take, so no sympathy for the accident victims however I hope the girl recovers.