PDA

View Full Version : Our blue (R56) MINI is Kaput.

AndyP & Lenore
17th November 2008, 04:20 PM
Off to the dealer on a flat bed.:frown:

I checked all the fluid levels on Sunday morning. Noticed the coolant was non-existent:confused:. Even if I shook the bottle nothing showed, so I took the cap off and there was a dribble at the bottom of the expansion tank. Called the dealer today and he told me to top it up with water to half-way between empty and full mark. Then take it for a 20 minute drive to warm the engine up.

Did all that and when I got back there was less in the tank than after I had topped it up. Called the dealer back and he said get MINI Assist guys out. They've just been out and loaded the car onto a flat bed and took it off to the dealer.:frown::argh:

I'm sure it's a simple leak which will be fixed in no time at all.:yes nod:

A.:sad:

ianking
17th November 2008, 04:44 PM
Has there been evidence of water under the car?

We had this problem with Sarahs r56 cooper.
Water was not leaking from the car though but it was certainly dissapearing somewhere. On a couple of ocassions the temp warning came on the screen on the rev counter. Took it to the dealer and I think they bled the system.

Where is your car going? Mind and ask them NOT to wash it or all your hard work of 2 bucket washing will be wasted.

AndyP & Lenore
17th November 2008, 04:50 PM
No real evidence of any leaking, which is the weird thing. Although the dealer did say their was a panel underneath the tank and if it was leaking onto that, it would simply be getting dispersed as we drive along.

But at the end of the day, it could be a tiny little pin hole and spraying out anywhere.

It's going into vardy's and they know not to wash our cars. But if they do, it would only be a blast with a hose, they don't physically touch the cars. or so they say.:blush:

A.

ianking
17th November 2008, 04:57 PM
Yeah the 130 was in at Eastern 2 weeks ago and although I always say not to wash my car (I saw the boy write 'Dont Wash') on the job card they still did. I think they have only done 1 side and bonnet as fine swirls all over it. Cant really proove it but i think they started then realised and stopped. Im a bit cheesed off. Picked the car up in the dark and wet so didnt notice until the next day.
The car wasnt even dirty when it went in.

Gaz B
17th November 2008, 06:33 PM
I had a problem similar last week! The radiator and expansion tank were changed about 8 months ago due to a water leak. So I assumed everything would be ok.
My wife broke down in Glasgow last week with the car overheating. While she was waiting a guy who had stopped to help dipped the car for oil and found that there was NO oil registering on the dipstick. The oil was changed during a service in January and we have done less than 5000 miles since!!:confused::ragin::argh:

Anyhoo the RAC dude turned up and filled the water, topped up the oil and pluged in his laptop to check everything is ok. And it was. Damn weird there are certainly no puddles on my drive and the car is'nt burning oil either!!!!

Thank god it is finally going tommorrow.:yes nod:

AndyP & Lenore
17th November 2008, 10:27 PM
I checked the oil on Sunday Gaz and it was fine. It's just a water issue I have.

Is yours an R56 or and R53?

A.

T5LLC
17th November 2008, 10:45 PM
my r56 cooper was loosing coolent for about 2 weeks i tried eastern mini they couldnt find anything then it over heated so mini assist came out and aprently my fan fuse had gone for sometime. so i took it away thinking it was fixed ended up over heating a further twice all because mini assist had fitted wrong fuse and not bled the system, had to go to menzies for this to be found out. weird thing is, its still loosing coolent so needs checked again!!

AndyP & Lenore
17th November 2008, 10:48 PM
Hmmmmmm.

So when I get the car back, that may not be the end of the matter.

Cheers Leanne.

A.

T5LLC
17th November 2008, 10:50 PM
just pre warning, so you keep your eye on it.

Scottie
17th November 2008, 11:11 PM
Sell it.:Whistle:

AndyP & Lenore
17th November 2008, 11:44 PM

lol.

It's not quite that drastic just yet Fi.:hand:

A.:D

Gismo
18th November 2008, 03:20 AM
If it's leaking out the coolant bottle the heater panel under it will be tinged green with the antifreeze.
Sadly, to have no oil on the dipstick because it was serviced in January would probably result in a no warranty claim :frown:
Levels should be checked regularly.

Hope you get your car fixed Andy :thumbs up:

Crombers
18th November 2008, 09:25 AM

Keep it :moonie:

KenL
18th November 2008, 06:40 PM
just pre warning, so you keep your eye on it.

I think we (me included) are lazy these days with cars. I must keep an eye on my coolant more often :eek:

AndyP & Lenore
18th November 2008, 06:58 PM
Well, first report from dealer...

can you guess.....

anyone?

NO FAULT FOUND!

We really need a "WTF" smiley for times just like these.

It is a BMW dealer after all.

They are doing further investigations over night.

A.

Sheilz
20th November 2008, 12:57 AM
Hope everything's okay with the car.

Funnily enough I've had to start topping up my coolant system too. I dont usually check the oil but prior to my trip to Yorkshire this weekend got Munro to do all the checks and oil level was below the minimum. Car had a major service in August and has gone through his quietest spell ever. not burning oil either, no sign of leaks, temp gauge sits at the same level all the time. Bit bizarre. Have just finished washing the Yorkshire dales off him but too dark to check the fluids. Might do that tomorrow just to check it out. Suppose with specy's mileage I shouldn't complain if anything needs replacing. Still running spot on.

AndyP & Lenore
20th November 2008, 01:04 AM
Got a call from the dealer this morning.

It seems the car did lose some pressure overnight.

They tracked it down to the hose that goes to the thermostat.:confused: It seems it had a pin-prick hole in it. Knowing absolutely nothing about engines, I'm taking their word for it.

So we'll be picking the car up tomorrow and we'll see how we get on. But will be keeping a close eye on all levels from now on, that's for sure.

A.:D

stoney
20th November 2008, 09:12 AM
hope is sorted now andy

Mini MoJo
20th November 2008, 02:05 PM
My sisters Dooper has slowly been loosing coolant, we topped it up a while ago and now it is back at minimum again. Recently her fan has been coming on a lot and that's from only small 15 minute journeys, she doesn't ever put the foot down, she is gentle. I phoned my local dealer and they said that this is common as the cars are turbos but surely not at this time of year? Anyway they said to bring it in and the mechanics can do a quick check over.... :confused:

Ivano
20th November 2008, 02:46 PM
Yeah the 130 was in at Eastern 2 weeks ago and although I always say not to wash my car (I saw the boy write 'Dont Wash') on the job card they still did. I think they have only done 1 side and bonnet as fine swirls all over it. Cant really proove it but i think they started then realised and stopped. Im a bit cheesed off. Picked the car up in the dark and wet so didnt notice until the next day.
The car wasnt even dirty when it went in.

Oh yes, that sounds familiar. I always leave a note in my Car 'Do Not Wash' and advise the service dept but a couple of times they have washed my car and ignored my request and like yours sometimes when it has been absolutely sparkling and clearly didn't need washed.

I think they do it just to annoy us and even look at you as if your daft when you tell them not to wash the car... Well some of us take pride in our MINIs which dealerships don't seem to understand!!!!

japper
20th November 2008, 04:29 PM
If it's leaking out the coolant bottle the heater panel under it will be tinged green with the antifreeze.

Hope you get your car fixed Andy :thumbs up:

What heater panel under the expansion tank?. Only one thing under the expansion tank is the 'muffler' hose from turbo to intercooler.

My fluid level drops from full to min level every 6-7k miles. I've never ever had to top up any car's cooling system before. If that's a leak it's a slooooow one. Could it be evaporation ( i know it's a sealed system but there must be a pressure blow off ) because the expansion tank is next door to that bl''dy red hot turbo?.

Gismo
20th November 2008, 06:09 PM
What heater panel under the expansion tank?That'll teach me to read the post correctly, i was of course referring to the R53 :Whistle: