PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox Expiration

ianking
17th November 2008, 09:43 AM
Was driving the white mini yesterday on the way up to my folks house so that I could give it a good clean then take some pics and put it up for sale, (planning on buying a new S or JCW next year) but unfortunately it has died of death on the way there.
The old man had to tow it to the house.

Just after I pulled away from the junction there was a clunk noise and a wee puff of smoke from under the bonnet. No drive in any gear, forwards or backwards. I dont think it was the clutch as there was no smell and no slipping. (however I would rather it was the clutch). Need to get the gear box out to have a look.

I have come to the conclusion that MINIs dont age well. Things like this and the power steering failure the other month shouldnt happen to a car of this age. The old man has seen many over the garage door now comming in for MOT and services. He is changing lots of wheel bearings, rusty brake pipes, steering racks and pumps. He has written advisory notices for corossion as well on early models.
Dont think I will have a MINI that is out of warranty again as its too much of a risk.

Just need to get the chance to tow it into the old mans garage and get the box out. Think it will be off the road for a wee while now as we are both a bit busy and I will need to wait until after xmas if I need to buy another gear box.

Gismo
17th November 2008, 09:45 AM
I'd be asking MINI for some kind of explanation, i appreciate they might not answer, but, i'd do something to try and get something from them, especially as there seems to be a lot of instances of this type of fault and the steering pump as well :sad:

AndyP & Lenore
17th November 2008, 10:20 AM
This is kinda worrying.

Our plan all along was to keep the red MINI for a long time. I can see it being our little classic for a decade or more. But I doubt we'd be encouraged to do that if major items like gearboxes start blowing. Brake pipes I would expect to change after 7 or 8 years, but not just post-warranty.

The flip-side here is that Crombers and Shielz have had their MINI's way past warranty and I don't think either of them has had any real trouble. Crombers has had a couple of steering problems, but they were an inherent fault with his year of car and (from memory) have all been fixed under warranty so far.

So could it be, Ian, that your MINI is going through a period of really bad luck?

A.

Crombers
17th November 2008, 11:31 AM
Sorry to here about this & yeah long term ownership does incite sharp intakes of breath from time to time :frown: :sad: :ragin: :argh:

Hope you get a fix

Big Gordy
17th November 2008, 11:57 AM
The flip-side here is that Crombers and Shielz have had their MINI's way past warranty and I don't think either of them has had any real trouble.

Me too:popcorn: We've had our ONE for over 5years and the only thing that's gone (so far:Whistle:) on it was a rear caliper which was replaced under warranty:thumbs up: Having said that we've only done 15000 miles since May 03:blush: which may have something to do with it:D

JOHN MILNE
17th November 2008, 02:07 PM
I spoke to the guy who repairs our gearboxes
he said he has done a quite a few mini gearboxes
they can be repaired or he can supply a recondition box for £595.00 plus vat:frown:

Craig
17th November 2008, 06:35 PM
Not good news Ian - always a consideration when looking at keeping a car for long periods... :sad:

hope you get it sorted Ok and it's not tooo expensive to fix... I suppose having a garage at you finger tips helps... ;)

stoney
17th November 2008, 07:05 PM
i know how you feal ian i have some pully gone and top mounts and needs new disks and pads all round it sods law :frown:

Big Gordy
18th November 2008, 09:39 AM
always a consideration when looking at keeping a car for long periods...

But why should it be Craig:confused: I've owned some high mileage motors in the past 15 years (Cavalier 158,000, Mondeo 134,000, Audi 116,000) and not once did I think the gearbox, or the clutch, was going to let go:eek: Is the mini that badly designed/built that we have to except such risks with long term ownership of them:frown: I hate to say it but I don't think you would have these problems with a Ford, Honda, Nissan, etc, etc......Iof course I may be wrong:Whistle: Maybe all the Ford forums are full of people complaining about their gearboxes blowing up:smilewinkgrin: Jeez I'm begining to sound like my dad:thud::smilewinkgrin:

ianking
18th November 2008, 09:45 AM
I agree with you Gordy. I think the MINI becomes a bit fragile after 6 years of average miles. It shouldnt be the case though.

I bet a German or Jap car could take twice as many miles before anything as serious goes wrong.

Craig
18th November 2008, 06:42 PM
Gordy - I think we are basically saying the same thing... :smilewinkgrin: I was only referring to MINI as they seem to have issues with fairly expensive parts after not that long.. ie Gearboxes, Steering pumps, clutches etc etc..

My dad's old passat which is roughly the same age as Ian's White MINI has had nothing replaced on it and it has towed a caravan/trailer etc. I just think that there is something wrong with the quality of some of the parts on the MINI that means that longevity is not very high.. :frown::frown:

Big Gordy
19th November 2008, 09:37 AM
Its a bit of a worry for the likes of me and crombers as we always intended to hang on to our mini's for a considerable length of time:yes nod: I'm maybe not in the same boat as Alan as ours only does about 3500 miles a year:blush: but it should still last longer than some of them seem to be:ragin:Maybe this is the downside to BMW sourcing the engines from Brazil but I hope not:argh:

Crombers
19th November 2008, 06:03 PM
Its a bit of a worry for the likes of me and crombers as we always intended to hang on to our mini's for a considerable length of time:yes nod: I'm maybe not in the same boat as Alan as ours only does about 3500 miles a year:blush: but it should still last longer than some of them seem to be:ragin:Maybe this is the downside to BMW sourcing the engines from Brazil but I hope not:argh:

My milage will be similar to yours now that my MINI has retired from commuting and annual trips down Engerland way, except I'm now at 58000 miles.

Suppose we'll just have to see what happens as you & I march bravely into the unknown.

A bit like NMS pioneers really :thumbs up:

Big Gordy
20th November 2008, 09:38 AM
My milage will be similar to yours now that my MINI has retired from commuting and annual trips down Engerland way, except I'm now at 58000 miles.

By my calculations you would need to mothball your Cooper for 12 years for me to catch your mileage up buddy:p can you do without it for that long:moonie:

(58000 - 16000 = 42000 divided by 3500 = 12 years)

Crombers
24th November 2008, 09:24 AM
By my calculations you would need to mothball your Cooper for 12 years for me to catch your mileage up buddy:p can you do without it for that long:moonie:

(58000 - 16000 = 42000 divided by 3500 = 12 years)

You'll just need to get out more mate :thumbs up:

ianking
24th November 2008, 09:48 AM
I decided to haul the box out yesterday (wish I hadnt bothered, bigger job than I thought)
good news is the clutch was in many bits so the box is still good.

The haynes manual said to remove the crush tube to drop the box out but there was just no way that i could get the box out. I had to remove the whole sub frame, (I kept the rack and pump attached though so didnt have to strip the frame) anyone know of a quicker way to do it. I had to put the car back together as the ramp I was borrowing was needed for this morning. going to strip the car again next Sunday.
Anyone want to help? Really hurt my back lifting the box back in.

stoney
24th November 2008, 10:01 AM
I decided to haul the box out yesterday (wish I hadnt bothered, bigger job than I thought)
good news is the clutch was in many bits so the box is still good.

The haynes manual said to remove the crush tube to drop the box out but there was just no way that i could get the box out. I had to remove the whole sub frame, (I kept the rack and pump attached though so didnt have to strip the frame) anyone know of a quicker way to do it. I had to put the car back together as the ramp I was borrowing was needed for this morning. going to strip the car again next Sunday.
Anyone want to help? Really hurt my back lifting the box back in.

i will give you a hand if you want ian i dont have a clue what i am doing but can lift stuf :thumbs up:

ianking
24th November 2008, 02:11 PM
Cheers Rob
It turns out that one of my mates is now able to help. He has also done a couple of clutches in the past which is handy.