PDA

View Full Version : Ragazzon downpipe fitted to Cooper S

R56Turbo
13th November 2008, 12:44 PM
Hi all!

Had my new cat-less downpipe fitted last thursday and its an amazing part. It adds a nice sporty sound to my Milltek back section (which i think is pretty quiet) and when reving the engine you get a couple of nice pops/crackles :rolleyes::smilewinkgrin:

The performance gains can be felt all over the revs and it makes the most significant difference from 3000rpm to redline. I have done just over 250 miles and have not had any CELs. So with the sound and performance added to NO cels it makes it a great part and the even better news is that it cost around 200euros :D

Here's some pictures i took to compare downpipes before/after and also to show how the car looks with the new downpipe fitted (Red arrow = Ragazzon) :

http://i437.photobucket.com/albums/qq94/coopman7/Car%20pics/Ragazzonstandard-comparison2.jpg
http://i437.photobucket.com/albums/qq94/coopman7/Car%20pics/Ragazzon-topview.jpg
http://i437.photobucket.com/albums/qq94/coopman7/Car%20pics/Ragazzon-bottomview.jpg

I made a little video of the exhaust sound when reving :
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=hIMpyz1tlkg

I should be on a dyno very soon and i will post the results up as soon as!

Craig
13th November 2008, 07:02 PM
Sounds :cool::thumbs up:

and it will be interesting to see the bhp difference once you get it dyno'd. .:yes nod::yes nod:

:off topic: if you want a louder exhaust, I have one in my garage that would do the job nicely...:thumbs up::off topic:

ianking
13th November 2008, 07:48 PM
Was this car parked in Bilston Industrial Estate just outside Edinburgh the other week? If so I spotted it. I work in the estate.

MrMischief
13th November 2008, 10:20 PM
Should be interesting to see how many ponies that liberates, I'd guess around 5-10. Is the pipework smoothed down inside the pipe? I'm only asking as the welding looks a little rough and reminds me of some XS Power products I've seen for Jap cars in the past. They do the job, but a lot of people have problems with pipework cracking, welds failing etc, hopefully it's not the same case.

It's a shame the Ragazzon pipe doesn't follow the same flow path as the standard job, that's a hell of a right angle turn for those hot gases to take. Good luck on the rollers :thumbs up:

Gismo
14th November 2008, 09:48 AM
The performance gains can be felt all over the revs and it makes the most significant difference from 3000rpm to redline.Is that the bum dyno :D did you dyno before the downpipe was fitted?

ianking
14th November 2008, 09:57 AM
I had my standard R56 S on the dyno when it had just 600 miles on the clock. Im pretty sure it was about 193bhp. It was using just standard unleaded as well.

R56Turbo
15th November 2008, 02:12 PM
Sounds :cool::thumbs up:

and it will be interesting to see the bhp difference once you get it dyno'd. .:yes nod::yes nod:

:off topic: if you want a louder exhaust, I have one in my garage that would do the job nicely...:thumbs up::off topic:

I was on my way to get my resonator removed and decided my exhaust was perfect for what i wanted, nice and poppy and throaty when at WOT and hardly any noise when driving around like a normal person ;) There is pretty much zero drone on the motorways etc which is my main concern as ive owned some crazy lotus's with noises to have a nose bleed to lol My mate has a full 3inch turbo back (no cat, no resonator) and it sounds amazing but he just ordered a massive resonator from the states for it as he says motorway driving is headache material!! I will be sure to post up my dyno printout asap!

Was this car parked in Bilston Industrial Estate just outside Edinburgh the other week? If so I spotted it. I work in the estate.

Isnt it a small world :p That was me! I also work there , i got the DP fitted there too! Thats prob when you saw me. I will keep an eye out for you in future :thumbs up:

Should be interesting to see how many ponies that liberates, I'd guess around 5-10. Is the pipework smoothed down inside the pipe? I'm only asking as the welding looks a little rough and reminds me of some XS Power products I've seen for Jap cars in the past. They do the job, but a lot of people have problems with pipework cracking, welds failing etc, hopefully it's not the same case.

It's a shame the Ragazzon pipe doesn't follow the same flow path as the standard job, that's a hell of a right angle turn for those hot gases to take. Good luck on the rollers :thumbs up:

The welds look a little rough but they are spot on! If it fails (lets say in one years time) then for 200euros i could prob just buy another :cool: I think the price of the product reflects the finish, im sure they could have made it look perfect without welds however id hate to see the price (they sell a 200cpi sports cat downpipe for around 800euros :eek:). It does look amazing though, polished finish etc..

The bend on the new downpipe at turbo end is actually less of an angle than the standard pipe.The standard pipe has an almost question mark shaped bend (not to mention how thin the internal diameter of the pipe is too) whereas the Ragazzon is pretty much bang on 90 degrees and is nice and wide. Look at the comparo picture, the standrad pipe has a much tighter bend at the turbo side and then it bends itself back over to line up with the flexi pipe whereas the Ragazzon is straight all the way from its initial bend down to the flexi pipe.
Also the inside of the Ragazzon is alot smoother than the standard piece!

Is that the bum dyno :D did you dyno before the downpipe was fitted?
I have had a couple dynos done before/after (not with the downpipe though) and you could feel big differences all over the revs but when i got this downpipe i was amazed that i could actually feel the difference in throttle response and how sharp the turbo spools up and how the car manically races to redline is insane. There is def meaningful power increases all over the rpm as with the level of tune i had before downpipe installation meant that a simple 10bhp increase wouldnt be felt on the butt dyno and i was amazed at how great the improvement is.Cant wait for dyno now

I had my standard R56 S on the dyno when it had just 600 miles on the clock. Im pretty sure it was about 193bhp. It was using just standard unleaded as well.

I got mine dyno'd before and after my remap months ago. I got 183bhp as standard and 211bhp after remap (more importantly i had 190lbft as standard that jumped to 243lbft). Since adding new mods i have noticed a massive difference in the cars performance. 193bhp seems a little high especially from a standard car however every dyno will get different results. If i use my previous dyno i will have somewhere around 240+bhp and well over 280lbft however im going to go with awesome gti as a friend of mine who has same spec of cooper s (mod wise) pulled 225bhp and 275lbft!! So basically im going to awesome so we can compare outputs and maybe i will head to the first dyno for some pub figures ;)

Sorry for the long post guys LOL thanks for taking a look!

ianking
15th November 2008, 03:26 PM
got mine dynod at Star performance.

Which company do you work for at Bilston?
I work for BEAR.

R56Turbo
15th November 2008, 07:36 PM
Star as far as i can remember is a pretty accurate dyno.

MrMischief
16th November 2008, 12:26 AM
Star as far as i can remember is a pretty accurate dyno.

Yeah, I've had 3 or 4 cars on the rollers there & used them for quite a few different mods & services. Top guys.

Good luck