PDA

View Full Version : Tyres Runflat Recommendations ?

Sheilz
11th November 2008, 11:10 PM
Wonder if anyone here has ever tried another brand of runflat beside pirelli and dunlop. Am looking for new shoes for the wee man and read some good feedback on Bridgestone's. Anyone got any advice. Need to get them on the car ideally tomorrow as have a trip down to Whitby at the end of the week. I dont need to measure the tread left on specy's current shoes, his skittishness on very wet roads tells me all I need to know :argh:

KenL
11th November 2008, 11:19 PM
I have Goodyear Excellence run flats on my R56.

These are so-called second generation runflats that are supposed to give a better ride quality than earlier ones.

I can't compare to others but they seem to work well enough and I am no where near needing to replace any after 19k miles. I swapped front to back during the summer at about 15k, all 4 have plenty tread left.

AndyP & Lenore
12th November 2008, 12:16 AM
Sheilz, we have 18" Bridgestone run flats on our Blue MINI. Much prefer them to the standard Dunlop SP01 18" run flats.

But I think your wheels are 17". And I don't know if Bridgestone make a 17" Run flat or not.

To be honest, the Dunlop SP9000 17" run flats are very good. Probably the best out of all the tyres we have had. But then, we've never tried Bridgestone run flats in 17" if they do make them.:confused:

Cheers,

A.:D

Sheilz
13th November 2008, 12:37 AM
Thanks guys. After much internet searching I decided to go for Continental Sport Contact 3 SSR runflats. Someone over on Mini2 has them on his 08 JCW so I guess they will do fine on specy too. The top of the range Dunlops were just too expensive even by searching for the best deals wouldn't have been much cheaper than going to JC, while the more affordable Pirelli's get too many negative comments for driving in the wet, though again their best ones were also very expensive. I really cant expect Munro to pay over £500 for specy's tyres :Whistle:
And just to ensure my internal panic button is switched off for the night - will someone please reassure me that the measurements are 205 45 17 for my car :yes nod:

Big Gordy
13th November 2008, 09:14 AM
And just to ensure my internal panic button is switched off for the night - will someone please reassure me that the measurements are 205 45 17 for my car :yes nod:

Yeh Sheilz those are the correct measurements for the standard 17" runflats :thumbs up:

Sheilz
15th November 2008, 01:05 AM
Supposed to have been getting these fitted tomorrow but dealer cant get them to Aberdeen before Tuesday. Reason they gave was they're coming from Jutland and no matter how much he pleaded it wasn't possible. Found this out at 3pm today, Friday not a good day to make alternative arrangements for a Saturday. Just to be a bit different - a bit random too perhaps - I've arranged to have them fitted first thing on Tuesday............ in Whitby:Whistle::Whistle::Whistle::laugh::laugh:You know just fancied a wee run through the Yorkshire Dales, a wee meander to the garage :Whistle::Whistle: