PDA

View Full Version : Do dealers really want to sell?

AndyP & Lenore
8th November 2008, 01:49 AM
L & I headed up to Edinburgh today to have a look around some dealers and cars.

Although we're not huge fans of VW or Audi cars, it would be silly to rule them out without a look. So first we stopped off at VW Edinburgh. Had a look at the cars on the forecourt and a salesman came out to speak to us. We told him what we were looking for and he invited us into the showroom to have a look at their group stock to see what they could offer us that matched our requirements. He came across a VW GT Sport which was sitting on his own forecourt - in fact we had already seen it and I had intended asking about it anyway. If I'm honest, it didn't have xenon's or an auto dimming mirror so we probably wouldn't have gone for it, but if had been a nice drive and the headlights had been OK, we may have been swayed. So I asked if we could take it out. At this point the salesman said he had a customer coming in in 10 mins and then he had a handover at 4.30 and besides the car wouldn't have any fuel in it so not today. L & I looked at each other, wondering why he'd lost interest. Couldn't figure out why and because the car was unlikely to be THE car for us, we decided to retreat with our tails between our legs and let the nice man deal with his "real" customers. Quite why he didn't say; "I have a customer coming in soon so let me find another salesman to look after you" I have no idea.

Off to Audi. Spoke with a really nice guy who used to be at Vardy BMW. Again, what we were looking for A3 Sportsline DSG. Only one on his forecourt was in black. :frown: But he was delighted to take us out in it so we at least see what one is like to drive - knowing he wouldn't be getting the sale on that particular car. Left the dealership with a positive feel that he actually cared about what we wanted and he would be in touch if he came across one.

Off Volvo. S40 - none in auto gear box. Bit too big anyway. No joy there. But did speak to a salesman who seemed happy to help if they had a car that suited us.

Off to Vardy BMW.

By this time we had pretty well decided a 1 series is probably gonna be the best buy for us. Not too big, not too small, 5 doors, frugal, powerful, not bad looking, fairly well equipped as standard (M sport), and reasonably priced.

Our mate who used to work in vardy has moved on to Land Rover so we don't really have a contact in there anymore. So we had a look around and again, there was no car there that matched exactly what we wanted. A couple of M Sport's, but no Auto in M Sport. The salesman had said that if they didn't have what we were looking for they could source a car for us. So we asked if we could take the Manual 120D M Sport out to see how it drove.

He said; "Sure, when would you like to take it out?"
I said; "how about now. we're here and looking"
He said; "You're joking! Have you seen the traffic?"
I looked round and could clearly see a few vehicles on Seafield road. It was just after 4 and rush hour would only be a short while away. But it was by no means gridlocked.
I said; "You know what? Forget it. I'm not going to be spoken to like that. I made a reasonable request to take a car on a test drive, I don't expect to be told off for asking while traffic is heavy."

We left.

So, 3 interactive experiences with dealers today, and after being treated very poorly indeed by two of them the only conclusion I can come to is that business is booming and they don't need our money.

Only Edinburgh Audi made any attempt to help. As it happens, we've pretty well decided against an A3 anyway. They're just..... a bit.... dull. All in our humble opinion.

Still want a 120D M Sport, but we will be travelling away from our "local" dealer for one.

A.

The Dogfather
8th November 2008, 09:19 AM
Andy, I've had similar experiences myself. It seems to me that most salespeople in 'posh' dealerships forget that they are they're to serve the customer. I think they get a little bit of an ego trip because they're a 'BMW' or 'Audi' salesman rather than just a car salesman.

I wouldn't worry too much they'll be looking for a new job if the current climate continues.

Scottie
8th November 2008, 09:31 AM
did you have your freelander with you could it be they are not interested because they know what your trading in.

Not much help but your thread was a good read first thing in the morning having my coffee:thumbs up:

Gismo
8th November 2008, 09:46 AM
That's shocking and i would have done the same.
I certainly would recommend JC's for sales service, i've never had a problem and often turn up in in tatty t shirt and shorts etc when thinking about changing and that's never put anyone off ;)
Meant to say, if you are looking for power steer away from the 1600 petrol engined ones

AndyP & Lenore
8th November 2008, 10:38 AM
did you have your freelander with you could it be they are not interested because they know what your trading in.

No didn't have the FL2 with us as we just wanted to test drive some cars, but I guess that wasn't meant to be.

AndyP & Lenore
8th November 2008, 10:42 AM
That's shocking and i would have done the same.
I certainly would recommend JC's for sales service, i've never had a problem and often turn up in in tatty t shirt and shorts etc when thinking about changing and that's never put anyone off ;)
Meant to say, if you are looking for power steer away from the 1600 petrol engined ones

Yeah, did think about JC's but we were going to Edinburgh anyway, will keep them in mind.

We are probably looking for a 120d M Sport or 120i M Sport if we ever get to drive one.:thud:

AndyP & Lenore
8th November 2008, 10:59 AM
Not much help but your thread was a good read first thing in the morning having my coffee:thumbs up:

You know me Fi, when I'm pi$$ed about something my posts more resemble a blog than a post.:frown:

A.:D

Mini Ecosse
8th November 2008, 07:21 PM
You know me Fi, when I'm pi$$ed about something my posts more resemble a blog than a post.:frown:

I suspect you like a moan, makes you happy:hand::hand:
Stephen

euan
10th November 2008, 10:34 AM
That's pretty bad, but I know the treatment you've had as I've had much the same.

VW bent over backwards for me when we were looking at GTi's, and when we went back to look at Polo (different salesman) got exactly the same treatment which bode well. In saying that, had a very different experience in another dealership (actually, that was in Edinburgh as well...)

I've always found BMW to be pretty good. Audi did say the same thing to me about test drives and traffic, but to be fair, in London it's just useless taking a test drive from 3:30 till gone 8, so I went back first thing on the Saturday and took the car out then when it's much quieter. Better for him and for me.

I think dealers like to block the time out to deal with customers, it's easier for them to block an hour for a test drive and then do the big sales pitch afterwards on how great their finance is. But your quite right, if they can't do it, they should pass you over to someone who can. The downside is they lose the sale and give it to someone else in the dealership to meet his target for the month, so a lot won't be keen on that.

ianking
10th November 2008, 10:54 AM
Andy

Some years ago I went into an Edinburgh VW dealership at the Forte. Was very keen on getting a golf GTtdi at the time. So keen that I was all prepared to trade in my blue mini one that day for one. Asked if I could test one and the saleswoman said no as she didnt have any slots for tests that day. I simply couldnt believe what she was saying. I even told her that I had brought a deposit with me. That put me right of.

I have been in to Dunedin several times and no-one would speak to me. I actually had to ask for their help. Once had a very cheeky female sales monkey speak to me after I asked for help. I was enquiring about getting a MINI (didnt tell her that I all ready had one). She looked at me and said 'they are quite expensive you know'. Granted I was only about 21 at the time but come on. You cant speak to customers like that. I asked for her card. Got it. Went to eastern, ordered another car then took the liberty of calling her to say that I had just ordered my 3rd MINI but thanks for her help anyway. Sarah and I went in there again a couple years ago when we were ordering her sparkling silver cooper. Nobody wanted to talk to us. I always go about the dealers and whoever gives the best price gets the deal. They were simply not interested. I have not been in since it has changed name so they may be better but I dont want to give them a chance anymore.

I have been into Edinburgh Audi a couple times. Once with my Dad to order his 2nd TT and got a great service from them. Another time just myself before I bought the 130 as I was looking at S3s. The folk recognised me and were more than helpfull, just couldnt afford the car. :sad:

When I was getting the 130 I went to Eastern and they got me the very car I wanted from the used network. It was painless.

AndyP & Lenore
10th November 2008, 11:14 AM
Ian, as you know in the past we've always had good service from Dunedin as it was a friend who was our salesman. He needed a bit of a push at times, but overall he was a great guy and over time we bought 3 MINI's and an X5 from him. However, he's moved on and we've now no contact in sales at all. And this was our first foray into used sales at Vardy anyway. The guy who tried to deal with us was just plane rude.

Euan, I know what you mean about trying to take a test drive at rush hour. But tbh, 10 minutes earlier we had just had a perfectly good test drive from the (almost) adjoining Audi dealership on Seafield road. The guy there knew a great wee route which takes you completely away from traffic and is so quiet and open you can actually give the car a good blast. It's only half a mile long, but for a quick test drive to check a car is absolutely fine.

I think what pi$$es me off more is that I know if our mate was still at the dealership he'd have just given us the keys and asked us to bring it back in a hour or so.

A.:sad:

euan
10th November 2008, 11:20 AM
Euan, I know what you mean about trying to take a test drive at rush hour. But tbh, 10 minutes earlier we had just had a perfectly good test drive from the (almost) adjoining Audi dealership on Seafield road. The guy there knew a great wee route which takes you completely away from traffic and is so quiet and open you can actually give the car a good blast. It's only half a mile long, but for a quick test drive to check a car is absolutely fine.

I think what pi$$es me off more is that I know if our mate was still at the dealership he'd have just given us the keys and asked us to bring it back in a hour or so.

A.:sad:

Agreed, he can suggest that it'll be busy but if you insist then it's up to you. Perhaps though he's had people say I just want to pop out in it, and then come back again for a proper test drive, so he's trying to save himself the hassle.

Personally, I think car dealers are usually pretty poor in terms of customer service though, considering the amount of money your about to spend there.

Scottie
12th November 2008, 12:34 AM
Hows the car hunting going.

What about the new XC60 I think it looks pretty good (not to old folks looking)

AndyP & Lenore
12th November 2008, 12:55 AM
Not really going anywhere Fi.

Absolutely gutted at some dealers attitude, so it makes it difficult to motivate yourself to get out and look any more:frown:. Too busy this week anyway. We're in no rush.

euan
12th November 2008, 10:29 AM
Hows the car hunting going.

I've not seen one in the flesh yet, but they look great in the pictures. I'm going to look to replace my 3 series in the new year if I can get enough on a trade in for it (not likely!) and that will be one of the options.

Big Gordy
12th November 2008, 11:36 AM

Yuk:frown: I honestly don't see the point in this kind of car:shut up: What exactly is it trying to be:confused: It looks like its got the old metro hydrolastic suspension on it:thud:

Forbes
12th November 2008, 12:50 PM
I have had many different experiences at dealers.
One of the worst was at Arnold Clark where i was looking at 02-04 small hatchbacks, Clios etc. before i bought the mini. I was looking by myself and the salesman thought i was a complete idiot. Trying to sell me a Kia and Chevrolets (Daewoo) and telling me how they were such great cars.
Then my dad came over speaking about a Mini One at the other end of the forecourt, he then starts trying to sell me a Civic Type-R and Fiesta ST. Amazing what a old face can do. I know i am young but i know alot more about cars than my Dad, and i know what i want. Dealers should treat everyone well, but they do act on age and how you look.

Will give Belmont Vauxhall credit, they saw me drive up in my Mini, 20mins later i was off in a test drive of a Corsa VXR on my own:D Don't like it anymore but it doesn't half shift.

mini saltire
12th November 2008, 03:05 PM
I am quite glad this thread has started as it is what urged me to go out on my own in the first place. :yes nod: I always try and treat all my customers the same regardless of what they are buying or where they come from etc. You can view my testimonials, they make me feel good when I read them :thumbs up:http://www.saltirevehicles.co.uk/Testimonials.html

Saying that though, the trade is currently under severe pressure as are most markets at the moment. This makes the salespeople operate in a very selfish fashion. They are mainly working for their basic salary and will try and shoe-horn most people into the vehicle 'they' can make the most out of.:frown: Also if you are not buying today, they aren't interested as they might not be there tomorrow!!

Mark

euan
12th November 2008, 04:21 PM
Mark, completely agree that is the cause of the the attitude, doesn't make it right! It's all down to training. If a dealer has the right attitude, you are more likely to go back there and spend your money. As it is, Andy won't now go to certain dealers.

So they've only got themselves to blame ;-)