PDA

View Full Version : 1.5%

AndyP & Lenore
6th November 2008, 05:40 PM
Holy SH!T:eek:

Didn't expect that cut.:Whistle:

And it comes just as our current fixed rate ends and we're due to take out another fixed rate. I'm of a mind to try and fix it for the last 10 years of our mortgage if we can.

A.:yes nod:

Gismo
6th November 2008, 05:55 PM
Nice one :thumbs up:

euan
6th November 2008, 06:03 PM
No, I thought they'd be doing well to drop it by 1%, I think 1.5% took everyone by surprise.

Our fixed rate ran out in January. We took a risk and went for a tracker, so our mortgage has dropped considerably in recent months which is a welcome relief.

We were talking about this today in the car to work, but if I'd stopped listening to the news in January, would I actually have noticed the credit crunch? Think about it - What's changed? not a lot other than petrol fluctuations (same as every year), cost of living hasn't changed vastly that we've noticed yet as we have a very efficient boiler so our energy bills aren't massive anyway, and our mortgage has gone down considerably! Shopping is much the same as ever as we pay it our of a joint account and the amount that is left every months is the same as it was before.

Would you have noticed?

(BTW - sorry if you see this as a hijack, if so please move to a new thread!)

Craig
6th November 2008, 06:16 PM
yeah, I think this surprised everyone... :thud:

I always do a fixed rate as I like to know what is going out every month.. I got a good deal back in March when our 5 year deal was up, so can't complain. I would have hated to have taken a gamble and then been left paying £150 per month more for my mortgage.

At least I know I can afford my mortgage and it will not go up for the next 5 years. The downside is it won't go back down, but that's the only downside. ;)

The Dogfather
6th November 2008, 06:37 PM
Erm, most lenders won't pass this on as the interbank rate is still sky high.

Scottie
6th November 2008, 07:20 PM
a drop in interest rates is not good for us savers.:ragin:

KenL
6th November 2008, 09:35 PM

I know, but at least you have money to save ;)

AndyP & Lenore
6th November 2008, 09:44 PM
Erm, most lenders won't pass this on as the interbank rate is still sky high.

Our mortgage providers (Lloyds TSB) have already said they will pass this on:thumbs up:. But I've no doubt they'll sting us with an "arrangement fee" when we renew.:ragin:

A.:D

AndyP & Lenore
6th November 2008, 09:45 PM

Sadly Fi, for the majority of "Joe Bloggs" (including L & I), we borrow waaaaay more than we save.:hand:

Scottie
6th November 2008, 10:08 PM
Sadly Fi, for the majority of "Joe Bloggs" (including L & I), we borrow waaaaay more than we save.:hand:

It's good if the banks pass it on to lenders,bad for exchange rates.
It's a step in the right direction I suppose for business.

It will help towards people trying to get a mortgage and start house buying again, but thats where half of todays problems stem from:confused:

I know plenty people now retired who have savings and rely on the income from their savings to prop up their pension.

illegalhunter
6th November 2008, 10:26 PM
I managed to get my rate @.34% of BOE base rate for the full term of loan . So mine will go down £27 a month. Only 7 years 8 months to go

Craig
6th November 2008, 11:16 PM
I managed to get my rate @.34% of BOE base rate for the full term of loan . So mine will go down £27 a month. Only 7 years 8 months to go

christ John, you must be REALLLLY old :moonie::thud::Whistle:;bigwave: