PDA

View Full Version : Driveshaft problem on my Cooper S

Colint
6th November 2008, 02:56 PM
I noticed my mini was leaving a few spots of oil on the driveway recently. I took it back to the garage where I bought it as I have a warranty of sorts.
They noticed it was leaking from the driveshaft where it enters the diff and they replaced the seal for me.
After a road test they noticed it was still leaking and the problem being is the driveshaft is'nt locking into the diff, it moves back and forth about an inch!
Has anybody heard of anything like this happening before as the garage hasnt and either has the local BMW dealers. Its now in the hands of BMW technical and I am awaiting a phone call with the verdict.
Car is a 2004 Cooper S with only 22k on the clock.

Colin.

AndyP & Lenore
6th November 2008, 05:13 PM
Never heard of anything like that Colin.:sad:

You'd like to think if it is an unusual fault, BMW will not hold you to the 3 year warranty, and offer some form of assistance, once the fault is found.

A.

Colint
6th November 2008, 06:03 PM
Well it seems the circlip from the end of the driveshaft has gone AWOL!
The part is coming tomorrow so hopefully it will be back up and running tomorrow night. Hoping to get shot of the car early next year, hope this isnt the start of it falling to bits!

Gismo
6th November 2008, 06:57 PM
Often a driveshaft circlip falls off when removing the driveshaft from the diff.
Sometimes it drops into the diff itself :eek: but mostly pings away when removed.
It really depends on how honest the garage is by reporting the problem ;)