PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a tyre fitter in Edinburgh?

colink
4th November 2008, 01:54 PM
Hello folks

Earlier this year, I moved back home to Scotland after 8 dark years in Liverpool - with only mikeythemini for semi-intelligent company. Now, mikeys neighbour happens to be a very competent tyre fitter and has been in sole charge of all matters rubbery over the past four years. Sadly, he is now 250 miles away and I've just discovered my fronts are very very close to illegal, plus have a gash in one from a recent kerbing incident (shut it, mikey). I am off on a wee jaunt to Yorkshire at the weekend so need them replaced ASAP.

I'm looking for a trustworthy and competent tyre fitter somewhere near Longniddry / East Lothian / Edinburgh. I say competent because I have Dare X4s which, I believe, can be a particular pain.

Can anyone make a recommendation?

AndyP & Lenore
4th November 2008, 04:20 PM
The only recommendation I could give is for a company called Ostles, but they are based in Galashiels. However, if you're on your way down to Yorkshire, you could go down the A7 and stop off on the way. If you do go to Ostles, ask for Stuart and tell him I sent ya!

Further info sent by PM.

A.:thumbs up:

ianking
4th November 2008, 04:23 PM
Hi

I live in Penicuik and I use Angle Park Hays tyre centre which is at the BP petrol station on the main street in Penicuik. The guys there appreciate a nice wheel and look after them. They also fit run flats no probs if thats what you use. They do good prices on tyres and can give advice accordingly.

I used to work in Galashiels and when I worked there I used to use Ostles Tyres. They are the same as Angle Park in Penicuik in that they are family run, very reasonable in price and look after your wheels.

I have no hesitation in recommending both places as I have used both many times.

ianking
4th November 2008, 04:24 PM
Ah
Just noticed now that Andy has also mentioned Ostles.

If I were you I would call both and check availability and price as apposed to just turning up. Both places have been able to get tyres next day delivery for me.

AndyP & Lenore
4th November 2008, 04:27 PM
Ah
Just noticed now that Andy has also mentioned Ostles.

If I were you I would call both and check availability and price as apposed to just turning up. Both places have been able to get tyres next day delivery for me.

Yeah. What he said.:thumbs up: Only that's what I should have said also. Call first, make an appointment and make sure they can get the tyres in for you, especially if you're making a trip southward.

A.:D

mikeythemini
4th November 2008, 05:26 PM
Dark years??? Don't be coming back south of the border then - there was you asking for Liverpool champions league tickets too

colink
4th November 2008, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the recommendations guys. Time is sadly too much of an issue this time around so will need somewhere a wee bit more local. Think the Penicuik guys could be one for the future.

Mikey - you will see the light when you get your ar*e in gear and come visit

Scottie
4th November 2008, 07:19 PM
I've used Kwik Fit next to Eastern Mini in the past without any problems if your in a hurry.

MINI William
4th November 2008, 08:22 PM
I use AutoImage across the road from Fountin park in edinburgh we have never had any problems with damage to wheels etc on our cars :smilewinkgrin:

colink
5th November 2008, 06:46 PM
I've ended up in London so the wife was left with the task of sorting the tyres :frown: She used National Tyres in Haddington (just by her work) and, although more expensive than I've paid in the past, they seem to have done a good job. Certainly no damage to the rims (they told her it was a tight fit and that they spent ages on it so that's a good sign). I still need to give it a good m'way blast to make sure the balance and everything is fine of course.

Thanks for all the advice though folks - much appreciated :D

KenL
6th November 2008, 12:36 AM
Do they handle runflats?

mikeythemini
6th November 2008, 12:31 PM
Do they handle runflats?

No - run flats don't handle:hand:

colink
7th November 2008, 04:02 PM
LOL Mikey :D

Yes, I believe they do supply and fit runflats (they certainly did about 5 years ago when I had my first MINI) Not sure how they compare on cost, but they seem to do a decent careful job.

Roadtested mine last night at speeds for 0 to ahem :Whistle: and all seems well. New front GTT Spiroslot disks and pads too so finally stopping properly again too :clap: