PDA

View Full Version : Paint removal

Sheilz
2nd November 2008, 01:44 AM
Was down in Fife today and on returning to my car discovered that some kindly, well-meaning infant had tried to jazz up my car by adding a coat of gold paint to one of the windows, down a side panel with a finishing swirl on the wheel trim. As much as I like to encourage kiddies develop their art skills, I told the wee lad (through gritted teeth) gold just doesn't work with blue and silver and that unfortunately I would need to remove it.

As his mother was unable to focus on a solution as to how the car could be restored to its original condition due to being in a state of extreme embarrassment ( I tracked the culprit, oops, artist, down - some social work skills are very, very useful ;)) so I have no choice but to throw myself at the mercy of the site to find out if anyone has any idea as to how I can safely remove this spray paint without causing damage. to specy's coat.

Sweeney
2nd November 2008, 09:36 AM
Recently had a bad incident with a yard next door to us, all our vehicles and machines were covered in thick spots of blue and green paint/overspray, including my car :argh:.

It was on the windows, plastic, rubber, lights, wheels etc etc etc. Just used our washer, which is just an indsutrial pressure washer. Heats the water to around about 70~ degrees celcius, obviously incredibly powerful and can have a detergent etc in it.

Came off nae bother after a couple goes around them, so i'd suggest maybe a bucket of very very warm but not quite boiling soapy water and an old wash mitt.

Sheilz
2nd November 2008, 09:24 PM
Thanks,

Used a bit of paint thinner - a tiny drop. Paint just slipped off the side panel but took a bit of elbow grease to get it off the window. Think there are still flecks on my roof decal but M thinks these will come off in the course of general washing. I've repolished the paint work and all seems to be as it was :clap:

The Dogfather
2nd November 2008, 10:15 PM
I would have used the blood of the child, might not have removed the paint but :D