PDA

View Full Version : Winterising and bringing back to life in spring.

AndyP & Lenore
28th October 2008, 09:50 PM
Thinking of winterising our red MINI. Giving it a good clean down, waxing it up and throwing a cover over it for a winter hibernation. We'll bring it back out again in spring next year.

What would folks advice be on this? Can we expect a dead battery by March? Should we start it up for an hour once a month to avoid dead batteries? What about the rest of the mechanics, will they stand up to a 5 month shutdown?

Any advice happily received.

A.

Gismo
28th October 2008, 09:58 PM
Plenty folks do this sort of thing.
One thing i would say is that don't put the handbrake on.
It's not ideal to start the car up and just leave running, that will induce condensation inside the engine and exhaust, if you're starting it up take it for a run.
The brake disks will rust.
If you go for it, don't be tempted to cover it up, again this will induce condensation no matter how much the manufacturer claims it won't.
Disconnect the battery altogether and trickle charge it a week before you intend to start it up again

AndyP & Lenore
28th October 2008, 10:15 PM
Cheers Alan.

Very similar to advice just received from Mr D on the phone.:yes nod:

A.:D

Scottie
28th October 2008, 10:19 PM
I've done this with a Mini we had before I joined this site although our car was also kept in a building well barn actually but under a breathable cover that only went down and covered part of the wheels.

I would 100% take your good alloys of the car I didn't and it ruined my alloys with the temperatures going from anything below zero and warming up to say 3C is enough to cause condensation and as I said it ruined my wheels, from memory you have diamond finished alloys they would just pit, get them off.

tyres could also flat spot if stood in the same position for a period of time.

I left mines with very little fuel.

I had a trickle charge set up on the car mines lay from the October to the March started it up no problem and took straight for an oil change and service in the march.

Scottie
28th October 2008, 10:25 PM
Oh forgot to say I left the hand brake off but the brakes scored terrible on it's first run in march actually I had to replace the discs and pads not using the car for 6 months seemed to ruin them.

Also I think another thing I done wrong was to wash the car on the day I put it away. I would avoid washing unless I was to get a good drying day a few days prior to putting the car away.

ianking
28th October 2008, 10:30 PM
Why not rent a storage space for it. There is a place in Penicuik that rents out storage and I was chatting to the guy about putting a car in there to free up room in the garage. He said that he has several classics stored away in the individual units within one big unit. Only you have access to it.

The Dogfather
28th October 2008, 11:08 PM
Sounds like it would be better to use the car through winter :eek:

AndyP & Lenore
28th October 2008, 11:14 PM
Sounds like it would be better to use the car through winter :eek:

Starting to agree with you.:blush:

A.:D

AndyP & Lenore
28th October 2008, 11:16 PM
Thanks for the responses folks.:thumbs up: It's pretty much as I had thought. I was worried about what would happen with the discs and pads etc., and I knew there would be battery problems.

I think we may just park it up and just use it once a month for a short trip or something. No covers, and no worrying about battery charging etc.

A.

Colin
28th October 2008, 11:29 PM
I do this to my kit car every year and have had no problems. Just getting it ready this week in fact, for its 6 month snooze.

1. Handbrake off, (the discs do rust a bit but it's only surface rust nothing to worry about, as long as you don't get them wet).
2. Small amount of fuel and I add fuel stabiliser (cos unleaded goes all gummy)
3. I use tyre protectors to stop flat spots forming
4. I use a breathable car cover, more expensive but worth it.
5. Remove battery and place on trickle charge.

Starts first time no probs, go for it I say :thumbs up:

Scottie
28th October 2008, 11:43 PM
I do this to my kit car every year and have had no problems. Just getting it ready this week in fact, for its 6 month snooze.

1. Handbrake off, (the discs do rust a bit but it's only surface rust nothing to worry about, as long as you don't get them wet).
2. Small amount of fuel and I add fuel stabiliser (cos unleaded goes all gummy)
3. I use tyre protectors to stop flat spots forming
4. I use a breathable car cover, more expensive but worth it.
5. Remove battery and place on trickle charge.

Starts first time no probs, go for it I say :thumbs up:

from memory is there not a problem with R53 brakes and that's why you see the dealers taking the ones on the forecourt a run ever week.????
I know for fact they used to do this at Menzies for the brakes.

Colin
28th October 2008, 11:47 PM
from memory is there not a problem with R53 brakes and that's why you see the dealers taking the ones on the forecourt a run ever week.????
I know for fact they used to do this at Menzies for the brakes.

Not sure about that Fi :confused:

Might just be because they are sitting outside getting wet all the time, that would certainly knacker any brakes :yes nod:

ianking
29th October 2008, 10:28 AM
Forgot to say Andy that I have the Calibra sitting not doing very much for most of the year. In fact only 201 miles in 2 years and some of that was to go and get MOTd.

I keep it in the garage though and there are no issues with it. The discs were starting to get ever so slightly yellow with sitting for a while due to condensation in the air. I hadnt started it since April so I went out last week and fired it up and took it 1 mile round the block to clean off the discs. I had to charge up the battery overnight first.
The car is well lubricated and we put a small amount of fuel additive in it to stop the unleaded going off. I always park it up with the handbrake off.

After charging the battery it fired up first turn.

Big Gordy
29th October 2008, 12:46 PM
When storing a motocycle over the winter they recommend you fill the tank to the brim as it leaves little or no room for condensation to form inside the tank....would think the same applies to car but but don't quote me on that:Whistle: