PDA

View Full Version : Noise!!!!

camjay
28th October 2008, 06:30 PM
Hi. Can someone help me before I'm driven insane. I finally got some nice alloys (17") and them on last night just for a week or so until it starts getting colder.

Anyway - this morning on the M8 going into Glasgow my car was making the most horrendous "droning" sound! It sounded so bad, I had to stop and phone my hubby. To cut a long story short, he checked the wheels, took a couple of them off to check them, inflated the tyres, etc and he says they're fine - but he says the tyres, although they have good tread, are budgets and he reckons that could be contributing to the noise!

He took my car for a quick spin and he couldn't hear anything! (he drives a Skyline which is as noisy as hell so I'm not surprised). Its been bugging me and the noise has been driving me crazy all day. Apart from investing in some decent tyres, does anyone have any ideas what else it could be? Thanks

Gismo
28th October 2008, 06:53 PM
Sounds like the tyres, what kind are they?

camjay
28th October 2008, 07:16 PM
Fullruns (cheap rubbish). The noise sounds like the drone from a wheel-bearing.

Craig
28th October 2008, 07:39 PM
yeah cheap tyres I think... :yes nod:

I have a set of run flats that are 17" that are lying in my garage that if you want you could borrow to see if they make the noise go away (before you have to fork out for new tyres) then your welcome. You will prob be about £20 to £40 to get them changed over. The only thing I would say is that if the tyres get damaged or a puncture you would have to cover the cost ;)

Gismo
28th October 2008, 07:41 PM
Fullruns (cheap rubbish). The noise sounds like the drone from a wheel-bearing.Does the drone sound change with different road surfaces?? go try it, if it's the same sound then it may be summat else

camjay
29th October 2008, 06:33 PM
Craig. Thank you so much for your offer that's really good of you! But its ok its definately the tyres. :thumbs up:

Gizmo man and my hubby are right - crappy tyres. The sound does change on different surfaces, noticed it today. Its new tyres for me ASAP. Thanks again guys. :thumbs up: