PDA

View Full Version : Squeeling Belt At Idle

Ivano
28th October 2008, 09:54 AM
Noticed in the last couple of days my Belt is really squeeling/screeching loudly at idle. Anybody know any simple cure???. I have only done 31,000 miles so wouldn't imagine it is worn? but i have no knowledge of Under the Bonnet stuff.

There was quite bad flooding on Saturday where i live and was wondering if perhaps it has got a bit wet or damp hence the noise which is quite annoying. It maybe just needs to dry out, although saying that it has been dry the last couple of days and i have been running the car quite a lot since Saturday.

Anyone else experienced this on their MINI? :confused::confused:

AndyP & Lenore
28th October 2008, 11:18 AM
The timing belt started whistling on our Hyper Blue R53 Cooper S a few months after we got it. I think we'd done about 3k miles. Took it to the dealer who said that was a wear and tear item and not covered under warranty. I gave him the evil eye, asked him in my excellent Andy Milman impression; "ar you avvin' a laff!?"

He checked with his boxx and it seems there was a problem batch of timing belts so it was replaced under warranty.

However, yours is a Cooper. So, I have no idea if they share the same timing belt or not.

If your car got wet a few days ago, I would have thought it would have dried out by now, and if that was what was causing the squealing, I would have thought it would have stopped.:confused: Unless it bu**ered.:frown:

A.

Gismo
28th October 2008, 11:43 AM
It may be the bearing has been slightly washed out.
A quick but not long lasting cure is to spray WD40 at the pulley bearings with the engine running, try not to get any on the belt as it will slip even more

Big Gordy
28th October 2008, 12:33 PM
The R50 variant has a chain timing belt so I feel confident in saying it won't be that that's slipping Andy :moonie: If it is, a queal will be the least of your worries as the valves will be hitting the pistons:eek:
Don't know about the arrangement on the new R56 engine tho.....it may have been changed to a belt:frown:
It's probably the belt that runs round the crankshaft pulley/alternator/water pump thats a bit slack allowing it to slip a bit:yes nod:

ianking
28th October 2008, 05:22 PM
All shapes of MINI have a timing chain.

Will be the belt that powers the alternator and air con pump that needs adjusted or replaced.
Even if an engine has a rubber timing belt it would be impossible for it to squeel as they are toothed.

Ivano
30th October 2008, 02:28 PM
Thanks guys for the Info/advice... :thumbs up::thumbs up:

The noise seems to have calmed down a bit and doesn't seem as loud now, but think i will get it in to dealership to be checked out...