PDA

View Full Version : American Football

euan
27th October 2008, 07:47 AM
I've had no idea about American Football, but the guy I sit next to at work is from Florida and asked if I wanted to go to the NFL game at Wembley yesterday. So I trooped along and watched, knowing very little about the game other than it takes hours.

And so it proved! 3 hours! It's all TV ad breaks though. However, the bits when they did play were awesome. It's not hard to follow it live (helped by the Americans I was with telling me what was going on!) but once you suss the basics it's easy enough. All got exciting by the end though! Would I go again, probably, but will try on TV first now I know what's going on!

Downside - getting home from Wembley...I've been a couple of times when it's been about 50,000 people and never had any issues getting home - last night added 30 minutes to the journey. Not bad I guess for 83,000 people who ALL get the tube home, but still - game finished at 8:15 and I got home at 10:15...

Big Gordy
27th October 2008, 09:25 AM
Glad you enjoyed the experience Euan:thumbs up:
Back in the 80's I used to play...hard to believe I know:moonie: I was on the defence for the Forth Valley Generals:yes nod: Its such a great feeling when you 'sack' the quarterback:D Still have my old kit in the loft somewhere......handy for fancy dress parties:Whistle:

Craig
27th October 2008, 10:09 AM
I used to go and watch the Scottish Claymores when there was a European league... watched them at Murrayfield - superb.. :cool::thumbs up::thumbs up:

Gismo
27th October 2008, 10:29 AM
handy for cross dressing parties:Whistle: :blush:
I used to watch NFL a lot and always watch the superbowl, great stuff and as you say, once you get the basics of the rules it's quite easy :thumbs up:

Big Gordy
27th October 2008, 10:51 AM
I used to go and watch the Scottish Claymores when there was a European league... watched them at Murrayfield - superb.. :cool::thumbs up::thumbs up:

When Ross was in the scouts they all went to Murryfield to see the Claymores play some German bunch and as you say it was a great atmosphere:thumbs up:

Big Gordy
27th October 2008, 11:05 AM
:blush:
I used to watch NFL a lot and always watch the superbowl, great stuff and as you say, once you get the basics of the rules it's quite easy :thumbs up:

It used to be on channel 4 at about 4pm many moons ago and it was great:smilewinkgrin: Seems to have lost a bit of enthusiasm here in the UK tho:frown: Would be good if they brought it back with Gary Imlack at the helm as he was good. I was a big Giants fan back then with the likes of Walter Paton, Lawrence "LT" Taylor, Phil Simms etc

euan
27th October 2008, 11:10 AM
Part of the problem must be that it's all on Sky now? I think 5 have a highlights program hidden away somewhere too?

The problem is that it's designed for TV, with far too many ad breaks and European audiences are just not interested in that. Makes the sport a lot of money though.

Was amusing to watch the man with bright orange gloves to highlight to the ref when the ad breaks were finished!

mini saltire
27th October 2008, 12:07 PM
I started to watch when 'The Refridgerator' was playing for the Bears back in Superbowl XX which I think is 20 years ago now.....:eek:

The good thing about most American Sports is that they all take turns at being good. They do this by the crappiest teams at the end of the season gets first pick from the the College teams and so on. It stops a Manu Utd or a Rangers Celtic type domination....:yawn::yawn::yawn:

I also like the Family atmosphere at American games. Its more like a day out than a hatred match!:thumbs up:

Big Gordy
27th October 2008, 12:53 PM
The good thing about most American Sports is that they all take turns at being good. They do this by the crappiest teams at the end of the season gets first pick from the the College teams and so on. It stops a Manu Utd or a Rangers Celtic type domination

That's the way it should work anyway:rolleyes:
What happens tho is the crap teams trade there 1st round draftpick for more picks further down the list(draft). So instead of taking the guy whose first/best on the list they swap it for, say 3 guys that are not as good futher down the list. So just like football here in the UK those with the most money still get the best players:frown:

Big Gordy
27th October 2008, 01:01 PM
I started to watch when 'The Refridgerator' was playing for the Bears back in Superbowl XX which I think is 20 years ago now.....:eek:

Ahhhh William Perry....what a guy:smilewinkgrin:
That was the year of Jim McMahon, Walter Perry and Mike Singletary. Not forgetting the coach Mike Ditka:clap:

Big Gordy
27th October 2008, 01:15 PM
Some good quarterback back then....Dan Marino, Jim McMahon, Joe Montana, etc these guys would pass for some big yardage in a season:clap:
I remember seeing Lawrence Taylor breaking Joe Theismann leg live on TV:eek:.....you could hear the crack in the stands....ouch:thud:
Ended his playing career:sad:

mini saltire
27th October 2008, 02:56 PM
I was a big Emit Smith fan from the Troy Aikman years at Dallas Cowboys:thumbs up:. That guy could run through a wall of players and make it look easy.

Love the Budwieser adverts during the Super Bowl too!!

Big Gordy
27th October 2008, 03:26 PM
Never liked the Cowboys much......but there cheerleaders were something else:eek::smilewinkgrin::D

euan
27th October 2008, 05:10 PM
Yes, the cheerleaders were great yesterday too. Fairly beats the lot you get at Pittodrie anyway!

Ferengo
27th October 2008, 06:27 PM
NASN has the NFL and college football. I used to play to. for a initiation season, Basically you train for a season, play 2 full games against league teams then you qualify for the following season. Alas I got a job and couldn't make practice anymore, but I played the 2 games.

Now into NHL which is also on NASN. When I was a kid i loved watching ice hockey. Was at the stars game last night, big fight and a great game. Also training to play ice hockey now. So full of bumps and bruises. :off topic:

Still I always watch the superbowl and play a tag game every new years day with my band.