PDA

View Full Version : Italian Job remake

minidriver#1
16th April 2003, 05:26 PM
on the way to work this morning, i was followed by 2 other new minis. hehe, made me smile all the way to work. Then it occured to me, how cool would it be for everyone to go see the film when it is released together and we can park in a big row and everything? like seperate or one big social meet up to go see the movie?

Julz
16th April 2003, 08:34 PM
I'd be game for that!! (finally got internet connection at work, do they realise I'll do even less now, if it's possible to do less!!):cool:

minidriver#1
16th April 2003, 11:00 PM
i just need to get spots before we go though! need to look like we're straight out of the movie. haha. you should work here, we have 100mb connection... i'm running out of things to dload.

lightbody
17th April 2003, 12:08 AM
I'm still in a huff about them attempting to remake such a classic film... while removing the key elements!

Linda M
17th April 2003, 12:32 AM
Here's me a HUGE movie buff and I never knew they were doing a remake of the Italian Job :clown::I Mindyou it was a pretty crap movie, in my opinion of course :p The only good thing about it was the mini's :D Are they using new MINI's for the remake ??? I'm sure Daisy could make a trip to Turin if they needed her :D:D:D

Wul
17th April 2003, 01:23 AM
quote:Originally posted by Linda M

Here's me a HUGE movie buff and I never knew they were doing a remake of the Italian Job :clown::I Mindyou it was a pretty crap movie, in my opinion of course :p The only good thing about it was the mini's :D Are they using new MINI's for the remake ??? I'm sure Daisy could make a trip to Turin if they needed her :D:D:D

Linda how can you say that about my all time favourite film:eek: In fact today i went and bought a corgi set of three minis brought out to commerorate the re-launch of the original film last year http://www.collectiques.net/shop/catalogue/tvfilm/italianjob.html . Sad or what:I

I was very sceptical about the remake too - but having watched the trailer yesterday http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/the_italian_job/ it looks like it could be at least worth the watching for the car chases! Both mini are featured in the film - Mark Wahlberg has an original mini but the "caper" invloves three MINI's at least one of which is an S!

So i may be iterested in a group view/ meet but as ever with me the date could be a problem!:I:clown:

Linda M
17th April 2003, 03:30 AM
I LIKE the models :cool:
I really don't know how I missed this remake as I buy every movie magazine on sale :clown: Remake looks 'much' better than original (sorry Wul) plus it has Ed Norton in it :D:D:D
It would be quite cool to have a group cinema meet for the release, there's the big cinema on the motorway at Dunfermline which would be a pretty central venue. Looks like it'll be a Summer release.

Monsta Mo Mini
17th April 2003, 05:00 AM
quote:Originally posted by Linda M

I LIKE the models :cool:
I really don't know how I missed this remake as I buy every movie magazine on sale :clown: Remake looks 'much' better than original (sorry Wul) plus it has Ed Norton in it :D:D:D
It would be quite cool to have a group cinema meet for the release, there's the big cinema on the motorway at Dunfermline which would be a pretty central venue. Looks like it'll be a Summer release.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

The remake will be sh!t - without a shadow of a doubt!

The whole attraction of the original film and why it remains so popular today was the Brittishness of it all, the humour, the innocence of the characters and of course the dialogue. Then you have the car chase which is brilliant!!!! Do you honestly believ Hollywood will leave them hanging on a cliff edge at the end of the film???

The yank remake will be devoid of humour, have a crap script and will rely heavily on big explosions and special effects. I hope it bombs. Get Carter remake....I rest my case!!!!!

There.... I'm glad I've got that off my chest:D (Sorry Linda8))

I didn't say I'm not going to see it though;)

Willie M
17th April 2003, 03:50 PM
Okay, I realise I'm probably going to be branded a heretic now but here goes 8)
Apart from the mini's and some great car chase scenes I have never understood what all the fuss is about The Italian Job (original version). I've watched the film twice and really couldn't rate it more than about 4/10 :(

And I absolutely 'HATE' that self preservation society song :evil::dead:

As for the new version, will probably go and see it (mainly for the cars). Probably in the mould of 'Fast & the furious', a no-brainer special effects fest... Can't be that bad then ;):D

minidriver#1
17th April 2003, 05:37 PM
we could stage our own car chases in the car park afterwards.... or maybe not.

Wul
17th April 2003, 05:41 PM
quote:Originally posted by Willie M

Willie - I bet the reason you hate the self preservation society song is because of it's links with English Football Fans etc (sorry to all the southeners reading this!) but i've lost count how many times i've watched the film and i loved it before the tune was hijacked by the English fans - just like the great escape tune - a classic un-mistakeable tune now ruined by it's association with the English team - (sorry again!)

But the Italian Job like bullet and french connection all paved the way for the standard of car chase scenes in the likes of ronin etc.

I'm going to see the new film to enjoy the cars not the script! as that's the real reason i love the original too!:D:cool:

john
17th April 2003, 05:54 PM
quote:Originally posted by lightbody

I'm still in a huff about them attempting to remake such a classic film... while removing the key elements!

I too think the film is a classic and should have been left alone.

BUT life is too short to huff about it Rob.

I will go and see the new film when it comes out:)

lightbody
17th April 2003, 06:00 PM
I don't think the original is actually a particularly good film in terms of film making, but it is a classic of its age. Michael Caine is fantastic in it (despite terrible acting!) and if you get into the whole frame of mind of GREAT Britain poking fun at the Italians all set in the fantastic 60s it really works.
The DVD re-release is superb with lots of nice extras. That opening sequence with the Muira climbing up through the Alps(?) is stunning and always makes me want to go for a drive!

Linda M
17th April 2003, 08:13 PM
Just to wind everyone up......I can't wait for the YANKEE HOLLYWOOD BLOCKBUSTER version :evil::approve:

Julz
17th April 2003, 08:42 PM
Well, I hate the Italian Job cause it cost me a fortune!!! My dad made me watch it when I was little, and since then I've dreamt of owning a cooper s, the rest is history!!:D

Willie M
18th April 2003, 03:38 PM
quote:Originally posted by Wul

Willie - I bet the reason you hate the self preservation society song is because of it's links with English Football Fans etc (sorry to all the southeners reading this!)
No, nothing like that Wul. To be honest I didn't know the English football fans used the 'SPS' song, certainly aware of 'Great Escape' though.

I'm afraid, for me, it's just one of those songs that crawl right under my skin and make me cringe :dead: A bit like S Club 7 if you like ;) Sorry Satelite :D

Wul
18th April 2003, 04:13 PM
I'm afraid, for me, it's just one of those songs that crawl right under my skin and make me cringe :dead: A bit like S Club 7 if you like ;) Sorry Satelite :D

For me the song that does that is Suvivor - Eye of the Tiger!

Anyway - we'd better get this thread back on track - anyone know when the UK release of TIJ is?

duncan
18th April 2003, 06:30 PM
[I'm afraid, for me, it's just one of those songs that crawl right under my skin and make me cringe :dead: A bit like S Club 7 if you like ;) Sorry Satelite :D

What do they're songs sound like? I just watch the videos!:p