PDA

View Full Version : Which OS?

ripthejacker
22nd October 2008, 08:14 PM
Just wondering what Operating System that people use are?

Just to start off I use OSX.:computer:

Craig
22nd October 2008, 08:31 PM
aw naw... not another mac freak.... :rolleyes:;) (only joking)

use XP Pro SP3 on my PC and Vista Home Premium on my Laptop :cool:

Use Unix, Linux, XP Pro SP3 and Windows Server 2000 and 2003 at my work. :thumbs up:

Gismo
22nd October 2008, 08:43 PM
Vista on my desktop, XP on my laptop and Me Julie uses XP

rpn
22nd October 2008, 10:31 PM
Just wondering what Operating System that people use are?

Just to start off I use OSX.:computer:

Same here on my MB Pro but the desktop is Win XP Pro

AndyP & Lenore
23rd October 2008, 12:01 AM
Vista is the most evil thing in the world today:argh:. It's right up there with OBL.:yes nod:

XP at home on the desktop and the laptop. XP Pro and Win 2000 Pro at work.;)

A.:D

Mini Ecosse
23rd October 2008, 06:04 AM
XP Pro on desktop & laptop

euan
23rd October 2008, 09:20 AM
XP Pro at work on the laptop (work "PC" is really a massive AIX pSeries, but that's another story...), home I use XP Home Edition, though not sure how much longer as it's driving me mental.

mini saltire
23rd October 2008, 09:24 AM
My operating system is flawless... I use my 'index finger' (finger next to thumb to the non technicals out there) to push the power button then my computer magically bursts into life.:idea:;):moonie:

Burple
23rd October 2008, 10:12 AM
XP Pro, home and work... :thumbs up:

Wouldn't touch Vista with yours! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Gismo
23rd October 2008, 10:32 AM
Wouldn't touch Vista with yours! :laugh::laugh::laugh:Since moving to Vista my PC has not suffered one BSOD that i can recall, is far more stable and atually works far better than my old XP Pro.
What is so wrong with Vista?

MINI William
23rd October 2008, 11:25 AM
XP on the home computer and Vista on the laptops.

Ferengo
23rd October 2008, 11:31 AM
OSX 10.4.11. Tried using leopard but I got Kernal errors running torrents over my airport, so I went back. Great OS, will maybe use the next OSX after leopard, wonder what it will be called, Kitten perhaps...

I did run XP on the Mac with bootcamp. Runs really well for those of you thinking on it. Got rid as felt dirty running microsoft on Mac. Lol.

ripthejacker
23rd October 2008, 12:03 PM
aw naw... not another mac freak.... (only joking)

You know what they say, "once you go mac, you never go back" lol :laugh:

Great OS, will maybe use the next OSX after leopard, wonder what it will be called, Kitten perhaps...

Yeah, I believe the new OS is a variation of Leopard called Snow Leopard so no variation from all there cat names they have had for so long no, is getting a bit much :blush:.

GAJ
23rd October 2008, 12:07 PM
OSX 10.4.11. Tried using leopard but I got Kernal errors running torrents over my airport, so I went back. Great OS, will maybe use the next OSX after leopard, wonder what it will be called, Kitten perhaps...

I did run XP on the Mac with bootcamp. Runs really well for those of you thinking on it. Got rid as felt dirty running microsoft on Mac. Lol.

Next OS X version will be Snow Leopard -' scheduled to ship in about a year — builds on Leopard’s enormous innovations by delivering a new generation of core software technologies that will streamline Mac OS X, enhance its performance, and set new standards for quality. Snow Leopard dramatically reduces the footprint of Mac OS X, making it even more efficient for users, and giving them back valuable hard drive space for their music and photos.'

I run OS X 10.5.5 and Vista Ultimate SP2 under Bootcamp on my MBP. Was using Parallels but didn't find it was everything it was cracked up to be so resorted to a dual boot setup, I only use Windows to download BBC iPlayer programmes occasionaly anyway so it's no biggy. Official BBC cross platform support is due soon for iPlayer anyway. Vista runs great on my machine, gets a Windows Experience Index of 5.4 or 5.6, can't remember which. Weakest thing is 'gaming graphics' apparently.

I've not encountered any problems streaming torrents, or anything else over airport.

Burple
23rd October 2008, 12:10 PM
Since moving to Vista my PC has not suffered one BSOD that i can recall, is far more stable and atually works far better than my old XP Pro.

Probably nothing, but from our work point of view, it's a nightmare. All sorts of driver issues with lots of our work apps, and from what I've heard it doesn't play nice with our Novell networking software... or Wireless setup! :D

Never tried it in a home setup tho.. and you were the first to bite :p:D

Gismo
23rd October 2008, 12:20 PM
Never tried it in a home setup tho.. and you were the first to bite :p:DNae biting, just setting you up for a heated debate :rolleyes: :D
If you've never used it how can you even comment on it :Whistle: :moonie:

Mini MoJo
23rd October 2008, 01:22 PM
OSX Leopard at work and XP at home although i don't use the PC at home much as i prefer the MAC - MACs are the best! :computer::thumbs up:

AndyP & Lenore
23rd October 2008, 11:06 PM
Since moving to Vista my PC has not suffered one BSOD that i can recall, is far more stable and atually works far better than my old XP Pro.

No doubt you wanted a reasond debate, siting factual reasons why I don't like Vista. Actually drawing on experience of using Vista in a multitude of operating environments.

Allow me to sum up my experience of Vista.

It's sh!te.:moonie:

A:thumbs up:

Gismo
24th October 2008, 12:10 AM
No doubt you wanted a reasond debate, siting factual reasons why I don't like Vista. Actually drawing on experience of using Vista in a multitude of operating environments.

Allow me to sum up my experience of Vista.

It's sh!te.:moonie:

A:thumbs up:
:hand:

Ferengo
24th October 2008, 03:04 PM
Snow Leopard? They should release it at Christmas :laugh:.

Slightly :off topic: but has anyone seen the new Macbooks? Apple are really struggling to make any improvements. They have updated the case to a carved aliminium case. So it won't split like mine has done (TWICE!!! :ragin:), and the graphics card is a little better. So what are Apple asking for this? £949!!! I got one the same spec 2 years ago for £999 in the old style. They have also down spec'd the old Macbook to make the new one look even better. Apple used to be so good at making it's products different and good :frown:.

rocker4500
24th October 2008, 09:06 PM
Vista ultimate 64bit and XP Pro (dual boot) on PC, Vista ultamate on laptop, Server 2003 and server 2008 (i think its still their) on other PC which sometimes gets used as a server...not to sound geeky or anything! :computer:

Vista is a good in some ways and a nightmare in others, I think im possibly the only person that likes it more than hates it! It deffinitly more secure, it does have some issues with drivers etc...esp the 64bit version.