PDA

View Full Version : Plumbers

GAJ
6th April 2004, 04:29 AM
Sorry this isn't a funny!:(

Can anyone recommend a trustworthy reliable and cheap plumber in Edinburgh. What started off as a drippy tap on my bath is now a leaky tap. It is really awkward to get into and I give up! The tap needs a new washer and tightened up on to the hot water pipe.

Monsta Mo Mini
6th April 2004, 07:50 AM
There is no such thing as a cheap plumber. Have tried several in Edinburgh and would never recommend any of them...crooks one and all!
Will ask about though!

Big Gordy
6th April 2004, 04:14 PM
One of my mates is a plumber but I don't think it would be worth his while (cost wise to you anyway 8)) going to Edinburger just for a leaky tap. I could ask him if you want :question: He's not toooooooo dodgy :) He's an honest bloke and a good plumber IMHO :p:D:approve:

Wul
6th April 2004, 04:52 PM
Making no promises here GAJ - as with all tradesmen - a good guy can start a company, but as soon as he starts employing others to assist then the lying starts.

However try Colin Campbell on 0131 319 1944 - havn't had any personal experience but he was at school with my big brother!

Things to watch out for are their call out costs and how they charge ie per hour, per half hour and try and get a cost over the phone first.

Or get the spanners out - it's not that difficult compared to fitting an induction kit! :D

GAJ
6th April 2004, 05:03 PM
I was lying on my back wedged between the toilet and the side of the bath for a good half hour last night but my basin wrench doesn't fit very easily so I had to resort to mole grips and I am too big and fat to get two arms up to the bottom of the taps so it was a nightmare. I tightened it enough to stop the leak but don't fancy totally removing both taps and replacing them. The tap seems totally knackered, not just the washer, as a bit of metal came shooting out of it when I was testing it later on!

Fitting an induction kit is a piece of proverbial in comparison!

3GGG
6th April 2004, 07:04 PM
GAJ, I have a local guy who is very good and reasonably priced, but I am sure he wouldn't go to darkest Edinburgh for a leaky tap. Seeing the difficulty you are having, you now understand why they charge what they do.

Wul
6th April 2004, 07:08 PM
GAJ - phone your local plumbers merchant (Graham @ Newhailes Ind Est?) and ask them if they can recommend a good local plumber.

Wul
6th April 2004, 07:09 PM
quote:Originally posted by GAJ

I was lying on my back wedged between the toilet and the side of the bath for a good half hour last night

Too many pints of guiness again GAJ?:p

3GGG
6th April 2004, 07:30 PM
quote:Originally posted by Wul

quote:Originally posted by GAJ

I was lying on my back wedged between the toilet and the side of the bath for a good half hour last night

Too many pints of guiness again GAJ?:p

:dead::D:D

Starky
6th April 2004, 07:44 PM
GAJ can u not change the washer from the top, i suppose it may depend on what kind of fittings u have, it could save u a few quid.