PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Phone Scam

Craig
20th October 2008, 06:13 PM
Well, got my mobile bill in today and noticed a charge which I wasn't expecting... £1.702 plus VAT.... no biggy, but I phoned vodafone to find out as it only said "text information service" against the charge... After a bit of persuading they refunded me and told me to send STOP to a number and the texts should stop. They also gave me the details of the company.:ragin::ragin:

well it turns out to be on behalf of mblox.com They are a mobile media marketing company... Vodafone gave me their customer care line, which doesn't seem to work. The only other way to get in touch with them is to fill out a form with your mobile number in it (aye right - more charges I think not!!):argh:

so waiting to see if my bill is even higher next month and if so I might just have to change my mobile number....:argh:

what seems absolutely unbelievable is that these companies can put these "reverse charge" text messages thro to any old number and get the money for them... I never asked for anything or replied to any text that I didn't know where it was from..

Seems like fraud/theft to me.. :frown::frown:

Ferengo
20th October 2008, 06:25 PM
Offcom. That's all I can say. Get in touch with them, If you don't already know they are the media watchdog for things like telecommunication etc... You may be asked to write a letter, if you do then send it recorded delivery. Then after 7 days you can get Offcom to go official on their ASS :thumbs up:.

The Dogfather
20th October 2008, 06:43 PM
As advised Offcom would be the starting place.

Gismo
20th October 2008, 06:45 PM
I'm on a fixed rate tarriff and only ever check the bill if i'm over the fixed rates, which is very rarely, so, a handy tip and one i'll be keeping an eye out for on the next bill

Big Gordy
20th October 2008, 08:25 PM
I'm on 'pay as you go' so don't even get a bill so I've no idea if that's happened to me:eek::eek::ragin: