PDA

View Full Version : Another Fault, here we go again!

RyanK
19th October 2008, 07:47 PM
:ragin:

Recently my car has developed an annoying noise. Basically a rapid 'ticking' type noise that only occurs under acceleration and is only heard on the right side of the car. This happens through all gears and stops once the clutch is pressed in.

Any Ideas? I reckon it may be the fan belt, harmonic tensioner or something to do with the right suspension strut. i.e possibly the standard dampers aren't coping with the eibach springs.

Wouldn't think that the fault is gearbox related because it was just replaced in June this year along with the clutch. However who knows, they aint the most reliable cars going

I am going to get it booked into a garage this week, just thought id post this to get a better idea on the fault.

Thanks, feedback appreciated :thumbs up::thumbs up:

Gismo
19th October 2008, 08:14 PM
Sounds to me like the relese bearing.
The fact the noise disappears when you press the clutch rules out the suspension and tensioner

RyanK
19th October 2008, 08:22 PM
Thanks alan for the reply. I never thought of that...kind of dum of me seens I said the noise stops when the clutch is pressed in...doh!

Still seems overwhelming as the clutch was replaced in June, must be a crap driver!

Cheers :thumbs up:

Forbes
20th October 2008, 12:03 AM
must be a crap driver!
Nothing we didnt know before:rolleyes:
I can't speak though

Aberdeen Al
20th October 2008, 10:03 AM
Maybe there's a chuckie stuck in your tyre tread :rolleyes: .........................some may laugh - my wife complained to me about something similar...............and it was the afore mentioned chuckie - ha ha ha!

J444 JNY
20th October 2008, 12:52 PM
I have the exact same problem with mine just now on the right side from the back wheel, the noise disappears when clutch or brake is pressed.

Noise gets worse with speed as said and is really bad when coming to a stop ie say at set of lights

I have had mine looked at and couldn't figure out what it was, so it is going back in again to try and source the problem.

The noise is more annoying than anything else.

RyanK
20th October 2008, 01:55 PM
Haha could well be a chuckie!

I thought it would of been the wheel bearing although I jacked the car up and spun the rsf wheel on its own and no noise was heard :ragin:May even be the cable for the clutch or something, I honestly don't know. All will be revealed when it goes into garage on Wed, BMW have told me that all clutch/gearbox problems will be replaced under warranty so I can't complain. :smilewinkgrin:

Hoppe you get your car sorted Jan :thumbs up:

J444 JNY
20th October 2008, 06:16 PM

I thought it would of been the wheel bearing although I jacked the car up and spun the rsf wheel on its own and no noise was heard :ragin:May even be the cable for the clutch or something, I honestly don't know. All will be revealed when it goes into garage on Wed, BMW have told me that all clutch/gearbox problems will be replaced under warranty so I can't complain. :smilewinkgrin:

Yeah i thought of all the things that you have mentioned above aswell, let me know what BMW say when you get it back and then i may have a better of idea what to be looking for when mine is getting fixed.

I hope its nothing expensive as i have no warranty left on the mini now!!! :frown:

ripthejacker
21st October 2008, 04:35 PM
Im getting a similar rapid clicking sound when I start the engine and soon as I press the clutch it disappears and doesnt continue or get worse when driving thats the only thing concerning me regards to my new mini.

J444 JNY
27th October 2008, 10:50 AM

Did you ever find out what this was then???

Thanks

Jenny

bigcoyote
27th October 2008, 08:16 PM
My 04 S was making the "ticking" noise under acceleration - Took the local MINI dealer several days to find it -- it ended up being the harmonic balancer. It was separating from the pulley and causing the ticking noise.

Check your balancer - see if the "rubber" is separating from the steel.

I have a lot of background working on cars - I thought for sure it was a wheel bearing or something "driveline" related -- so did the dealer...... we were both wrong.....:argh:

Good luck & keep us posted

RyanK
27th October 2008, 11:19 PM
Thanks for the replys and advice! Got a call from jcs this morning, its the rocker arm in which has gone. Awaiting a part for the car at the moment but should hopefully have it back by the end of this week.

Its much better than the 1st phone call I got from them on Friday, I was told that the whole engine was completely gone & a new one was needed. Glad they have found the real fault though

Any updates on yours J444?

Cheers :thumbs up:

J444 JNY
28th October 2008, 01:34 PM
I couldn't get mine fitted in until a week on friday coming, so hopefully this time they can figure out what's wrong with it and will get it fixed.

Will keep you's updated with this, after i get the car back :thumbs up:

RyanK
30th October 2008, 08:11 PM
Got another call today, engine in my car has gone. LOL! :rolleyes::clap:

I don't find this funny, just trying to hid me anger. Don't know what to do, every solution to the problem is a problem itself. I can't really afford a new engine at this moment in time, can't afford someone to fit a engine If I source one second hand & I don't really want to do an insurance job as I'll loose my no claims bonus.

Awesome eh :frown::ragin:

Forbes
30th October 2008, 10:06 PM
That's crap. What you gonna do?

Craig
30th October 2008, 10:52 PM
<in south park voice> HOLY SH*T DUDE :frown::frown::frown:

not good news... Are they sure? maybe time for a second opinion?

RyanK
30th October 2008, 11:23 PM
I know, it honestly seems like a jinxed motor :thud:

They called me last Friday (before stripping engine) to tell me that the engine had gone, however on Monday they rang to confirm that it was only the rocker arm that had gone. Once they had fixed this they took the car out to Portlethen (5 mile drive) only to discover when they got back that the noise had returned. Back to square one again!

On Tueday they started with the stripping down of the engine in order to find the actual fault & today I got a call letting me know that its a new engine jobbie. The only good thing that could come out of the situation now is if they figure they can repair the existing engine, I'll need to wait and see if this is possible.

I phoned a local vehicle dismantlers and they currently have 2x One engines for R50/R52, both just touching 30,000 miles. Surprisingly they are quite cheap aswell, at least when comparing it to the price bmw are wantig. Just the cost of fitting is going to hammer me, may even have to flog and turn to the dark-side for a few months :frown:

Raging though as I was hoping to sell the car in Feb/March next year, now I won't have the funds to buy a new car:ragin::argh:

Forbes
30th October 2008, 11:29 PM
Really feel for you mate. Hope you get it all fixed. One of the best cars out there

RyanK
30th October 2008, 11:43 PM
Cheers, I'll keep you posted!

J444 JNY
31st October 2008, 09:14 AM
Gutted to here this :sad:

I hope you get things sorted out asap though