PDA

View Full Version : What Air Induction Kit to buy???

Craig
5th April 2004, 03:27 AM
looking to buy an air induction kit for the Jude's birthday (and the mini's 1st Birthday!) but not sure what to buy. Looking at the Pipercross Induction kit or the good old K&N 57i. I want a good sound from it and a bit of horsepower gain. More important to have a good sound though..

Any suggestions/prices/where to buy greatfully received..:cool:

Craig

GAJ
5th April 2004, 05:54 AM
Both much of a muchness! The K& N sits a bit better in the engine bay and doesn't damage the bonnet lining as much as the Pipercross and it's pre-oiled so no need to muck about with aerosols. It also includes a rigid replacement for the pipe going into the throttle body so it doesn't move as much. Neither give a noticeable difference in horses at moderate speeds although the car sounds faster! It does seem to pull a bit better at ridiculously high speeds though (allegedly)!
I have tried the standard pipercross, the viper and the K&N 57i but have returned back to the standard airbox again. Cheryl prefers it quiter!
I have a boxed K&N which has only been used for a couple of thousand miles, if you are interested?

Burple
5th April 2004, 07:42 PM
As an alternative..
I've got the RamAir filter on...
Does exactly wot it says on the tin... - welll much of a muchness with the others..
Nice rigid pipe.. so it doesn't move about, and a cute wee breather filter for the wee breather pipe :D
Cost round about £80..
Sounds blinkin awesome too.... :cool::D:D:D

If you're up Aberdeen way... See Uncle John!! ;):D:D

ELFMAN
5th April 2004, 10:24 PM
I had the Pipercross (Cone) Kit on my COOPER for a couple of weeks, and it sounded pretty awesome. Only problem was that the car LOST power and felt a bit “flat”, so I took it back off again! Hey presto - ran like a dream. Also as Gaj mentioned, it messes up the bonnet lining too - the K&N is a much more “stable” piece of kit, not sure about the power though. My PX kit's still in the box in the garage... I reckon you should give the K&N a shot.

I've just bought a K&N replacement Panel Filter for the S, but I'm not expecting any power hikes, just flows a bit better than standard. The “West Tuning” S which is putting out 245BHP (and is reckoned to be one of the best conversions out) only uses a replacement Panel Filter, 'cos Ray West “doesn't rate” induction kits.

If you want great sounds AND some extra power, save up and fit a good exhaust. Had Magnex system on the Cooper and it worked a treat in both areas.

Craig
6th April 2004, 06:54 AM
thanks for all the info guys - got a bit carried away before reading all the info and have order the Pipercross kit from New Mini Sport. Not been told that it has shipped yet, so trying to cancel order. Gaj, email your details to me and how much you want for the K&N and if they manage to cancel my order, I'll be in touch.

thanks

Craig

craig@dennyscouts.worldonline.co.uk

Craig
7th April 2004, 02:46 AM
spoke with new mini sport today and managed to send the pipercross kit back, cos I don't want to cause any damage to the car and also don't want the garage to know that it has had this fitted, despite the guy in the garage saying "it's not a problem". When it comes to warranty, you can never be too sure.

John - I've sent you an email, please let me know if you can supply the Ramair kit - it has had the best reviews of the people I have spoken to, and if not GAJ, I will be in touch for a "wee deal"

signing off.......Arfur D

bloocoop
7th April 2004, 04:34 AM
Hi Craig

Hope you'll like the induction kit. I've fitted K&Ns (57i & typhoon)to previous normally aspirated cars I've had. They do sound good and if that is what you want then they don't disappoint. They tend to make an aftermarket exhaust better & louder as well! You usually gain top end horsepower but often lose a little low down torque (confirmed by in-gear times). So typically, above 4000 revs things really start to get a move on, whereas below that pick-up can be a bit more sluggish. Power curve seems to get squeezed and shifted up to the top end. Depends on how you like to drive really on whether you like that, but certainly good when dropping down a gear to overtake and going for a B road blast:D. I'll be fitting a K&N typhoon next weekend (with a bit of luck) to the Cooper S and hoping the supercharger will still keep its good mid-range pull - fingers crossed. Let us know how you get on.

macblob
7th April 2004, 06:06 AM
Ive got the same Ram air filter as LnL, if you have any probs getting one from John I can give you a link to the place I bought mine or you might beable to try ramair directly at
http://www.ramair-filters.com/