PDA

View Full Version : Intercooler

V3 NGS
12th October 2008, 08:17 PM
Hi everyone ... I am looking at getting a new intercooler for the 'S' but there are so may out there .... has anyone had one fitted did it make a big diffrence on the dyno :clap: and what make would you recommend { GT Tuning ect}.... what other mods make the biggest diffrence ...

Mods I have so far!!!!!:popcorn:

2003 ... R53 Mini cooper s ... engine w11

15% Pulley, K&N Filter, Areo kit, Alta rear led lights, Halo front side lights, 4 branch race manifold and decat, Full stainless steel shotgun twin box exhaust :shut up:, All leather front and rear seats with 6” lcd monitors in both head rests, Dvd player under passenger seat, Led interior light, Sprint booster, BMW Xenon headlight conversion, 5 spoke alloys, Pioneer 6” touch screen stereo with ipod interface, parrot hands free through stereo mobile phone, tinted windows,

Cheers For the help

AeroJonny
12th October 2008, 08:35 PM
What's your budget and do you have many further performance modding plans?

It might serve you better to think about an overall plan that you have for your car so that you get parts that are going to compliment each other...and more importantly that you don't have to redo things ;)

V3 NGS
12th October 2008, 09:12 PM
yes i would agree with that .. a very fast road car is the goal ... getting the best bang for your £ is the key .... but what else would compliments what i have already ... also getting good bits for the right money, ebay etc!!!... dont mind spending if its worth it for instance looking at a blue fin and you are only getting 10 bhp for £300 that is not worth the money ... dont you think???

AeroJonny
12th October 2008, 09:34 PM
Well I just spied a gtt intercooler on mini2, the guy's asking price is £300 but it's gotta be worth a haggle. the bluefin's got it's place as a fantastically cost effective mod for a mini one. However, for someone like yourself a custom remap would have to be the way to go especially when you consider your car's out of warranty and it also gets the most out of the various mods you have which generic remaps aren't able to do.

One of the best pieces of advice I've heard with regards to engine modding an R53 (or any car) came from one of my good friends who had one of the most powerful road minis in the world and he basically said that if a manufacturer can't show you a dyno sheet with documented improvements then the parts are pointless.

Aberdeen Al
13th October 2008, 11:51 AM
Well I just spied a gtt intercooler on mini2, the guy's asking price is £300 but it's gotta be worth a haggle. the bluefin's got it's place as a fantastically cost effective mod for a mini one. However, for someone like yourself a custom remap would have to be the way to go especially when you consider your car's out of warranty and it also gets the most out of the various mods you have which generic remaps aren't able to do.

One of the best pieces of advice I've heard with regards to engine modding an R53 (or any car) came from one of my good friends who had one of the most powerful road minis in the world and he basically said that if a manufacturer can't show you a dyno sheet with documented improvements then the parts are pointless.

I think the GTT item requires an adaptor plate for the coil pack as the intercooler is very big - if you're going this route make sure you get all the parts as Roland won't supply the missing parts!

The GRS intercooler is very good and so is the GP intercooler if you can get you're hands on one.

stoney
13th October 2008, 05:13 PM
grs intercooler is the one elf man has and seems to be the best around the now

V3 NGS
13th October 2008, 09:43 PM
well had a look around and have decided to get a cooler from Alta ... it is the Intercooler Version 2.0 looks good and in my mind should be more efficiant we will see ... what are your thought????????????????????????????????

stoney
14th October 2008, 07:17 AM
well had a look around and have decided to get a cooler from Alta ... it is the Intercooler Version 2.0 looks good and in my mind should be more efficiant we will see ... what are your thought????????????????????????????????

well the alta stuff is good but it is just 1 for all i know grs keeps updating his all the time to improve it :thumbs up:

Aberdeen Al
14th October 2008, 07:22 AM

The Alta 2.0's didn't get a good write up on NAM seemingly they were taking ages to cool the "charge" although I can't see it being too much of a problem in Scotland :p

ELFMAN
16th October 2008, 08:11 PM
I'm very happy with my GRS 'Cooler, the guys at LOHEN rate it, so I took their advice too. It's maybe worth about 8bhp, but that's not the be all and end all - I just wanted to make sure I was making the most of what I've got, and the standard 'cooler wasn't up to the state of tune I'm aiming for. So it's not a 'power mod', more of a common-sense upgrade.

V3 NGS
16th October 2008, 09:02 PM
after all that they havent got it in stock so i have gone for the GRS instaed after all the right ups from this site ... any advice on the fitting ... did anyone have any problems

Aberdeen Al
16th October 2008, 09:32 PM
after all that they havent got it in stock so i have gone for the GRS instaed after all the right ups from this site ... any advice on the fitting ... did anyone have any problems

Very simple indeed - just remove the rubber boot / connectors and unscrew the bolts holding the OEM one in place - slip in the GRS and Bob's your mothers brother :smilewinkgrin: !

Watch when you remove the OEM intercooler as it may have oil in it (in fact it 99.9% will !) - might be best to invest in an oil catch can - GTT have the best one on the market.

Gismo
16th October 2008, 11:39 PM
might be best to invest in an oil catch can - GTT have the best one on the market.I've had one installed for over a year and have never had any oil in it yet :frown:

Aberdeen Al
17th October 2008, 10:38 AM
I've had one installed for over a year and have never had any oil in it yet :frown:

I've got some in my catch can and the intercooler is as clean as a whistle ;)

V3 NGS
17th October 2008, 09:33 PM
its all fitted and air tight with No oil in the old one either it didnt take that long and it looks veeeeeery nice ... i am sure it has made a diffrence but i havent had chance to give it a good try maybe tomorrow if i am not working ........

Aberdeen Al
17th October 2008, 09:42 PM
its all fitted and air tight with No oil in the old one either it didnt take that long and it looks veeeeeery nice ... i am sure it has made a diffrence but i havent had chance to give it a good try maybe tomorrow if i am not working ........

Your inlet air temps will be so much lower - which gives you the benefit :cool:

V3 NGS
21st October 2008, 08:16 PM
has anyone fitted a boost gauge???

t18tav
21st October 2008, 10:36 PM
have you considered fitting a bigger throtle body it will complement your new intercooler very nicely?

V3 NGS
22nd October 2008, 07:35 PM
have you considered fitting a bigger throtle body it will complement your new intercooler very nicely?

No i havent .... I like the sound of that though :thumbs up: are there diffrent sizes out there .. what size would you recommend :confused:

t18tav
23rd October 2008, 09:06 PM
I am sure the one at GTT is 62mm instead of 58mm and you can also get the spindle made smaller or you can go to minimania.com and Lohen but he is out of stock at the min:cool:

ELFMAN
28th October 2008, 12:52 AM
Enjoy your new 'Cooler - welcome to the GRS Appreciation Society!

V3 NGS
28th October 2008, 01:00 PM
thanks i will will you guys be going on the run, lucking forward to it ..... got to start spending on the house now .... but i will may be get the inlet on the sly lol cheers