PDA

View Full Version : Fault code reading... by post.

C.Noble
9th October 2008, 10:09 AM
I have just bought myself another couple of code readers (one being BMWs engineering tool cos my old GT1 has died :frown:) and re-invested in more diag equipment.

Anyway, as a result I have a very simple eOBD fault code reader that is surplus to requirements. I was wondering what to do with this (not worth much to sell) when I suddenly had an idea, since the nice people of NMS are such trustworthy souls :thumbs up:, I thought I would make available to any of you guys who ever have the engine fault light illuminate on your MINI (or anything else made after 2001) to "borrow" so you can read/erase your fault codes.

Anyone who would like to borrow this tool, just PM me your address and I will mail it out to you.

It is REALLY easy to use, no button pushing or "wire jumping" needed, just plug it in, record 4 numbers displayed, unplug it again, my 7 yr old nephew could use it (at a push, even Mark Dryden could use it!!! :smilewinkgrin:). It is IMPOSSIBLE to do damage to anything with this tool, and will not affect any warranties.

Once you have the code, you can either google it, or as I have said before, I would be happy to explain what the fault code means to anyone who asks.

When your done, just pop it back in the post to me.

On average, independants charge around £50-60 for a fault code read.

I am not looking for any payment for this, and I would hope no one else would think to make profit off of this service, although including an extra couple of stamps when returned would be nice to cover the cost of postage for its next use.

Craig.

Big Gordy
9th October 2008, 10:26 AM
Craig........you're the man:thumbs up: That's a great idea:yes nod:

Forbes
9th October 2008, 11:20 AM
Good to see the sharing spirit lives on...

Craig
9th October 2008, 11:30 AM
Craig,

Top Idea. What a Gent. :thumbs up::thumbs up:

<and you are right about that Dryden one with technology....:thud::Whistle:>

I would say that if some of you out there do use this service that has been very kindly offered by Craig - PLEASE be nice enough to return it in one piece and as soon as you can...:yes nod::yes nod:

euan
9th October 2008, 12:37 PM
Would you be able to use this to determine what settings your key car set? Such as holding the open button to open windows and the like? Or do you need the full diagnostic?

Gismo
9th October 2008, 12:39 PM
Very nice gesture :thumbs up:
I would highly recommend registered post as well :yes nod:

C.Noble
9th October 2008, 12:44 PM
Would you be able to use this to determine what settings your key car set? Such as holding the open button to open windows and the like? Or do you need the full diagnostic?

No, sorry.

Its just an engine managment fault code reader and eraser, cant do ABS, SRS, BC1, etc.

You would need GT1 or InPa for that. And I aint sending them in the post :smilewinkgrin:!

ianking
9th October 2008, 02:31 PM
This is a great offer and very kind indeed.

Well done that man. :D

Burple
9th October 2008, 02:46 PM
Top Job!
That's a great offer! Nice one that man! :thumbs up::cool:

Have yourself an internet Cookie!
http://i.affiliatebrand.com/i/cookie.jpg

:thumbs up:

lowrider
9th October 2008, 06:42 PM
Top marks. appreciated. I might just take you up on the offer to find out the fault code of my emissions light even though it has gone out.

Crombers
9th October 2008, 11:45 PM
Top idea & top bloke :thumbs up:, well done that man ;)

AndyP & Lenore
10th October 2008, 12:00 AM
What a gent.

Good on ya.

A.:thumbs up:

C.Noble
10th October 2008, 12:47 AM
Top marks. appreciated. I might just take you up on the offer to find out the fault code of my emissions light even though it has gone out.

Then you may be the first! Just PM me your address and I will fire the reader in a jiffy bag.

The majority of fault codes stay logged in the memory of the ECU even if the light is not on and the fault is no longer present.

audrey
11th October 2008, 12:03 AM
This is really good of you still having problems with my engine light only stayed off for four days this time booked back in for Monday cant seem to get rid of this at all :frown:

Colin
11th October 2008, 01:04 AM
Great idea Craig, very kind of you :thumbs up: