PDA

View Full Version : Discounting the Mini

illegalhunter
7th October 2008, 03:58 PM
With the car market in a hell of a slump do you think BMW will start to discount the list prices on new cars?

Big Gordy
7th October 2008, 04:03 PM
Can't see it happening:frown: but hey you never know:eyes up:

Big Gordy
7th October 2008, 04:08 PM
Our friends son works for Land Rover and he was telling me last week that there sales target for last month was 72 units:eek:
Guess how many they sold..................................16 and that included 2 being registered for two of the sales guys company cars so they really only sold 14 trucks:thud:

Craig
7th October 2008, 04:26 PM
nope, never going to happen, however they have decided to reduce trade-in values because of the current market etc.... :argh:

seems like a WIN WIN for MINI and LOSE LOSE for the customer... Just MINI getting to make bigger profits... :argh:

Scottie
7th October 2008, 07:12 PM
I have a hunch that you will see MINI Dealers introduce pre registered cars with discount.

I think you will already see a discount of up to £1000+ on news cars already built and sitting on the forecourt.

I think the sales of MINI are down and you will be able to spec and build a car that will arrive at the dealers with 3 weeks.

I think they introduce packages like free TLC and other typical"Citroen" type incentives like free insurance free petrol etc etc.

Finally I think they will have to start offering better and more realistic trade in values to get a new car sold in the past MINI Dealers have had it all their own way but not any longer.

N12 JLK
7th October 2008, 08:51 PM
Finally I think they will have to start offering better and more realistic trade in values to get a new car sold in the past MINI Dealers have had it all their own way but not any longer.

Going by the recent trade in value we were given they are getting much worse. :frown:

Will probably keep the car if the trade in does not improve so they will lose a sale. Vicious circle..

euan
8th October 2008, 09:43 AM
I think they introduce packages like free TLC and other typical"Citroen" type incentives like free insurance free petrol etc etc.

Really? I can't seem them do that kind of offers - it's not a BMW trick as it's seen as a premium product.

I can see them doing pre-registration, although it's likely to be dealer initiated, and the trade-in values will most definitely take a hiding.

mikeythemini
8th October 2008, 12:19 PM
It is possible to get discounts on the clubman as its not selling
Bmw's - you can get £2.5k off a 1 series

ianking
8th October 2008, 01:57 PM
Trade in values are all down to the individual dealer and what they think your car will sell for and how quickly it will sell, they dont want it sitting about on the fourcourt depreciating every month as they in turn need to drop its price plus they take into account what the reconditioning costs will be and then remember that there is VAT to go on top. Bearing in mind that is only if its a BMW or a MINI that they are able to retail on the fourcourt. Otherwise they get another trader to underwrite the car. My mate is a trader and underwrites cars for many of the big main dealers and he is getting them for way way behind book due to the current market trend. He is having to sell them for less than retail book though in order to get a deal. So sometimes its not the MINI dealers fault if they offer a crappy trade in price although they surely have a wee bit of room to over allow on the trade in price, particularly if they want to get sales up.

I have noticed several local dealers are offering the TLC for free now and on used MINIs ther are 0% finance deals.

Scottie
8th October 2008, 07:10 PM
Really? I can't seem them do that kind of offers - it's not a BMW trick as it's seen as a premium product.

I can see them doing pre-registration, although it's likely to be dealer initiated, and the trade-in values will most definitely take a hiding.

sorry should have said dealer. I know of one offering TLC for free and £250 free fuel.

Big Gordy
8th October 2008, 08:00 PM
I got my TLC free 5 years ago:Whistle:and rubber mats as well now I think about it.

The Dogfather
8th October 2008, 08:17 PM
My new Clubman which was fully spec'd was heavily discounted as it was a stock car. I get it on Friday :D

The Clubman is being discounted because they ran a whole months production as the Clubman only so the network is full of them. They've just done the same with the hatch to even things up but don't expect the Clubman to be discounted for long.

Craig
8th October 2008, 09:12 PM
new clubman ? I take it they are replacing yours due to the problems Paul?

Scottie
8th October 2008, 09:14 PM
My new Clubman which was fully spec'd was heavily discounted as it was a stock car. I get it on Friday :D

The Clubman is being discounted because they ran a whole months production as the Clubman only so the network is full of them. They've just done the same with the hatch to even things up but don't expect the Clubman to be discounted for long.

Colour? S~Dooper~Cooper???

The Dogfather
8th October 2008, 09:35 PM
PW/B with lounge leather, visibility pack, basic bluetooth, pace alloys, rear parking sensors and chili pack.

Yeah, they agreed to change the car but gave me my old one back, it had a new engine, until my new car was ready. However the problem came back last night. I'm just paying a mileage charge.

Craig
8th October 2008, 09:37 PM
why are MINI still unable to get the Cooper S engine reliable without these major faults ? :confused::confused:

N12 JLK
8th October 2008, 09:38 PM
PW/B with lounge leather, visibility pack, basic bluetooth, pace alloys, rear parking sensors and chili pack.

Yeah, they agreed to change the car but gave me my old one back, it had a new engine, until my new car was ready. However the problem came back last night. I'm just paying a mileage charge.

What was wrong with your engine?

Scottie
8th October 2008, 09:39 PM

So is it a S or Cooper or Dooper

The Dogfather
8th October 2008, 09:45 PM
Cooper S, I had a Cooper on loan and it was too slow for me ;)

They never really bottomed out was was causing the problem but the whole block was replaced as an injector had melted and fallen into the cylinder. They'd replaced the turbo wastegate, the injectors, all the valves, the vanos unit and the cylinder head.

I think it was pulling in water into the fuel system when it rained heavily as it only happened in very heavy rain. God knows if that's right though. BTW, the new 58 engines don't have the rattle, at least not in the first 1500 miles.

KenL
9th October 2008, 09:34 PM
Received an email and text from Eastern offering BIG discounts on Clubman MINIs.

I wonder if it is just the Clubman doing so poorly?

The Dogfather
9th October 2008, 09:57 PM
Ken, due to a production problem they did an entire month of the Clubman, rather than only a fraction (15%). A large number have ended as pre reg or stock cars. I would imagine that they be reverting back to built to order from now on.

If you're looking for a cheap MINI and would consider the bigger car then they're a bargain. The prices will firm up after a while as its purely down to short term over supply.

Having said that all new car sales are down by 25% on average.

N12 JLK
10th October 2008, 04:27 PM
i fancy a clubman for my next company car.

KenL
10th October 2008, 10:34 PM
i fancy a clubman for my next company car.

I don't, not a fan personally.

Can't get my golf clubs in there, can I?

Ivano
11th October 2008, 07:15 PM
I work for a BMW/MINI dealership and we are doing exceptionally well with BMW sales at the moment but MINI has really slowed up but this is common throughout the Country.... MINI have such strict guidelines in that they do not want to portray selling cheap cars hence why discounts or advertisng pre reg at discounted prices are a no go.... They need to wake up and smell the coffee though as they will need to change their ways given the current climate...

We are always getting our knuckles wrapped for advertising discounts at dealer level from the Big Chiefs at MINI... But we need to do it

euan
17th October 2008, 09:25 AM
Well Ivano, your dealership is the exception then! BMW down 24% and MINI down 19% against September last year. What is more interesting is why on earth have Audi managed to sell more - the only mainstream company to do so (granted, it's only a 1% increase!)

http://www.ukbusinessforums.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=82334

Stewart
17th October 2008, 01:05 PM
I got my car roughly £1000 cheaper, it was a cherished mini with 1200 miles on the clock, Back up service car apparently. Anyway the car price actually dropped £500 on the day I went to se the car and instead of saying we are giving you this price for your trade-in they had to move the figures around and make out the Mini was another £500 cheaper as BMW guidelines on prices for trade-in would not let them offer what I wanted for my old car…..

That’s the best I would expect the local dealer up here could not get enough of convertibles there they were selling like hot cakes. Audi were even more over priced than the mini in my View I looked at an A4 and A3 and they had the same BMW low options for what I felt silly prices.

If anything Mini sales might do better than most as I’ve been asked a good few times at petrol stations what I get MPG…..people are going to go for smaller cars.

Ivano
17th October 2008, 01:55 PM
Well Ivano, your dealership is the exception then! BMW down 24% and MINI down 19% against September last year. What is more interesting is why on earth have Audi managed to sell more - the only mainstream company to do so (granted, it's only a 1% increase!)

http://www.ukbusinessforums.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=82334

Yeah i know, it sounds bizarre... I won't mention where i work incase it comes under the Commercial posting rule... but on an individual basis it is to do with our huge Buying Power in that the more we buy ie (bulk) the better the prices/saving for the Customers, hence why we are still doing quite well on the BMW front. People are buying from us!

FergusM
18th October 2008, 11:13 AM
Well when I was selling mine several people were quoting £1k plus off new mini's with little haggling.

One guy was offered the new R56 JCW ex-demo with 1.7k miles on it for 4k off list price from a dealer.

...both of which knock the re-sale values on mini's big time, especially ones like I was selling...

Stewart
18th October 2008, 05:10 PM
Well I got my 57 plate with 1.2K on the clock and it was over 2k off the list price new and more off it you consider the trade-in I got and the fact they had to drop the Cars price rather than simply match my trade-in.

Older second car I wanted 1K and got it with £600 trade-in and another £400 off the car to keep in line with BMW guidelines.

ny152
19th October 2008, 02:47 PM
Had a cold call from my local dealer this afternoon saying they had some excellent clubman deals. Asked them to call me back tomorrow with some idea what they can do. Might be interesting :smilewinkgrin:.

ny152
20th October 2008, 07:35 PM
Had a cold call from my local dealer this afternoon saying they had some excellent clubman deals. Asked them to call me back tomorrow with some idea what they can do. Might be interesting :smilewinkgrin:.

Well just back from the dealers and it's the first time I've ever managed to get any movement from a MINI salesperson!

Eventually managed to get £27 a month off the original 36 month pcp plan I was interested in. Plus, a free upgrade to the Piano Black interior trim. Was looking for another £4 a month but they couldn't be swayed any further.

Ultimately though I decided to stick with my current car and HP finance. In just over 3.5 years the car will be mine outright. It was actually quite nice being able to walk away from the table despite the deal on offer!

But it just goes to show, that deals are there to be made (it was mentioned that BMW were contributing a £500 deposit to existing MINI owners).

ny152
21st October 2008, 06:53 PM
The dealer phoned me back today (I didn't call them) and after leaving it for a while I called back. Ended up with the exact price I wanted plus a set of bonnet stripes :smilewinkgrin:. Hopefully should have Dooper MK2 within 2 weeks.

illegalhunter
21st October 2008, 07:01 PM
well done

Craig
21st October 2008, 07:12 PM
The dealer phoned me back today (I didn't call them) and after leaving it for a while I called back. Ended up with the exact price I wanted plus a set of bonnet stripes :smilewinkgrin:. Hopefully should have Dooper MK2 within 2 weeks.

Deals to be had then.... :cool: That Mrs Scottiedoop doesn't know what she's saying about there never being any deals on MINI's :thud::Whistle::thumbs up:

Scottie
21st October 2008, 07:47 PM
Deals to be had then.... :cool: That Mrs Scottiedoop doesn't know what she's saying about there never being any deals on MINI's :thud::Whistle::thumbs up:

:hand:

I'm saying nothing. :Whistle:

and going on from that

so has one of our sponsors in other departments, you know who you are :thumbs up::thumbs up:

N12 JLK
21st October 2008, 08:44 PM
deals to be had:D

ny152
21st October 2008, 09:34 PM
deals to be had:D

Certainly seems to be a few folk on here changing MINI just now ;bigwave: