PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering Pump Failure

AeroJonny
7th October 2008, 10:35 AM
the power steering pump on the mini one's now intermittently coming on and off...my gut feeling is that this is just it in the final throes.

I spoke to philthy and he gave me the name of the company he used when his pump gave out but I was wondering if anyone else had any advice, or even a power steering pump laying around ;)

Gismo
7th October 2008, 10:39 AM
Speak to Crombers, he got a very good deal with his scenario ;)

AeroJonny
7th October 2008, 11:15 AM
sounds intriguing ;)

Gismo
7th October 2008, 11:20 AM
Read this thread (http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=15264)

AeroJonny
7th October 2008, 11:31 AM
cheers alan, I'm currently waiting for a call back from my preferred dealer (read not the closest;)) and I'm going to see if they can cut me a similar deal. If they don't, then I'll be doing the job myself.

ianking
7th October 2008, 11:52 AM
Jonny

Powersteering pump is a fairly easy job if you are mechanically minded. There is a company advertised on eBay that will recondition your pump and return it to you with a 2 year guarantee. Cost about £180.
There are good instructions in the haynes manual but if you get the car up on a pair of drive up ramps its pretty obvious how the pump comes out.

AeroJonny
7th October 2008, 12:57 PM
that's a great help thanks ian :) I'm gonna try my luck with MINI customer services first. I had a look on mini matt's site and they're selling used pumps for £85 apparently. what do you make of that??

philthy
7th October 2008, 01:02 PM
Wouldnt go with a used pump as it will only fail quicker.

As said Il do it for you (mates rates ;) )if you dont have any luck with Mini, but dont hold your breath, they swiftly gave me a no.

AeroJonny
7th October 2008, 01:22 PM
yeah, I was thinking that too.

It can't hurt to give it a try, I'm in a similar situation as crombers in terms of having had 3 steering racks on the car.

ianking
8th October 2008, 02:02 PM
To be fair Jonny I think you are much better going down the recon unit route as it has a 2 year warranty. The only down side is that the car is off the road for about a week whilst the pump is away.

AeroJonny
8th October 2008, 02:06 PM
To be fair Jonny I think you are much better going down the recon unit route as it has a 2 year warranty. The only down side is that the car is off the road for about a week whilst the pump is away.

You and phil are right, I'll see how I get on with MINI and a recon unit's my fallback option. I don't mind the waiting time so much as my sister's driving the car and she's not strong enough to drive it without power steering anyway.

J444 JNY
9th October 2008, 08:29 AM
I had to replace my power steering pump and my hydraulic hose and it cost me 600 quid, but that was me been daft and not shopping about, because i just wanted it fixed.

Also i could only find the hose from BMW and it cost 157 quid, wasnt to happy but its done now!!

philthy
9th October 2008, 11:27 AM
why did you have to change the hose?

Crombers
9th October 2008, 11:52 PM
yeah, I was thinking that too.

It can't hurt to give it a try, I'm in a similar situation as crombers in terms of having had 3 steering racks on the car.

You've simply gotta give it a try after 3 racks mate, best of luck :thumbs up:

J444 JNY
10th October 2008, 01:30 PM
why did you have to change the hose?

Becasue it had three large holes in it, which caused my power steering pump to pack in and the hose wasnt repairable.

AeroJonny
10th October 2008, 02:14 PM
You've simply gotta give it a try after 3 racks mate, best of luck :thumbs up:
Cheers mate, it's in getting looked at as we speak ;)

AeroJonny
10th October 2008, 06:05 PM
Apparently there's nothing wrong with it...bizarre!

Craig
10th October 2008, 06:52 PM

If I had a pound for every time I have heard that....:argh::argh::argh:

as you say Jonny... Bizarre.. :thud::Whistle:

philthy
11th October 2008, 12:48 AM

remember lauras failed intermittantly (they said it was fine too) until 2 months later it failed mid corner. Laura couldnt get the wheel straight cause it went solid and completely wrote the wheel off (and scared the **** out of her...lucky no one was walking along the pavement!)

so it will fail again at some point just hope max isnt driving when it does.

AeroJonny
11th October 2008, 02:18 AM
precisely what I'm thinking phil...

Crombers
11th October 2008, 10:01 AM
If I had a pound for every time I have heard that....:argh::argh::argh:

........ you'd be feckin minted :thumbs up: