PDA

View Full Version : Stonechip

Steve74
3rd April 2004, 01:48 AM
Just got a new windscreen fitted and last Sunday on the Hadrians Wall run got a big stonechip right in the middle of the windscreen which is only 2 weeks old! There is no crack just a tiny pit on the glass. Does anyone have any experience of getting these repaired and if so does Autoglass do it?

john-apex
3rd April 2004, 03:29 AM
Steve
Try Steve at Budget Windscreens he should be able to help you mate.

Julz
3rd April 2004, 05:49 AM
Even try asking your dealer, I think they can repair chips that are smaller than a £1 coin for £40 or something like that!!:)

Steve74
4th April 2004, 03:32 AM
Cool, will try when I get back to Scotland:cool:

Big Gordy
4th April 2004, 04:31 PM
Steve, I've had the windscreen repaired on the Mondeo and its painless (and free if you have windscreen cover on your insurance;)) Takes about 1/2 hr. They attach a thingimybob to the screen and inject some form of see through resin into the crack then polish it smooth when its set. Makes quite a good job. You still see the chip but the glass is smooth to the touch. :p:D:approve:

Steve74
5th April 2004, 06:38 PM
Big Gordy - there's no crack, just a chip - would that fix work too for this prob?

Big Gordy
5th April 2004, 08:53 PM
Yeh it was a chip not a crack :I They attach a tripod contraption with suckers onto the screen and connect it to some form of pump (I think :blackeye:) It fills in the crack and they shave the extra off with a razor blade. You still see the chip but its as smoooooooth as a babys botty on the outside. Saves forking out 50 quid excess on a new screen. It all depends where on the screen the chip is I suppose ;) If it was right in you line of vision all the time I think I would get a new screen :p:D:approve:

Steve74
6th April 2004, 01:08 AM
Its just a wee chip so could live with it no prob I think. Its also free as I've got Mini Cover!!