PDA

View Full Version : Headlight Levelling Motor

Crombers
29th September 2008, 03:23 PM
:hand:Last weekend on a night time M8 dash it came to my attention that the N/S front headlight was offering a fine pool of light right in front of the car. Nice to see lots of nearby tarmac but of feck all use when you wanna see where it is you are going when there are no streetlamps in assistance.

At a safe pit stop it bacame apparent that the headlamp leveller (the one that pops down & back up again in a cheeky kinda 'hello' manner when you switch on the dipped beam), was not working N/S front.

After consultation with the Head of Operations - NMS Pit Crew, I was told that the headlamp is a sealed unit & you cannot replace the levelling motor, BUGGER :frown:, & £££ to replace :eek:, cheers BMW.

I spoke to Mr Noble yersterday, & he kindly offered to check his fleet of race machines to see if a swop would be possible, good man :thumbs up:. I also checked ebay but not one mention was made on the units for sale that the levelling motor was working. Finally I logged onto 247 salvage/spares.com as per Mr Dryden's advice & logged a request for prices for N/S front units.

This morning I popped into MINI2 to see what info they had on the matter. As much as I'm not a fan of MINI2 forums (to big) it has a search engine that covers the globe & much information can be gleaned from it as I did do when the power steering pump gave up the goose a few months back.

The best information I got was this :

If you have halogen headlamps fitted, you can sort the problem by opening the bonnet, switching your dip beam lights on, you need another person to operate the level switch (0, 1 & 2, near the ingntion barrel) and slaming the bonnet shut at the same time, (not to hard) , this will jolt the motors as the adjuster sticks, you should find them to be okay then, i know its a bit extreme but it does work okay

Alternatively :

however a good whack (obviously not too hard ) on the lamp while twiddling the switch did the trick
This would you believe came from a BMW mechanic who uses/advises on MINI2.

& guess what, I asked my stepdaugher to be, Vikki ;), to twiddle the switch in the car whilst I gave the headlight unit a couple of slaps with the dipped lights on & the bonnet up.................& IT FLIPPIN WELL WORKS :D :thumbs up: :hand:

It may well be that the adjuster sticks again but a wee slap or thud on the bonnet could well just do the trick.

Just thought I'd share ;)

euan
29th September 2008, 03:26 PM
Nice ;-)

While working in a server room a while ago, we had a new server that failed to power on correctly. All the connections were fine, and in frustration we kicked it. It immediately came to life - turns out is had a dodgy connection on the inside!

stoney
29th September 2008, 03:29 PM
well thats the stragest fix i have herd of :rolleyes::thumbs up:

good to know tho :thumbs up:

Craig
29th September 2008, 03:39 PM
Glad you got it sorted mate - sounds like Smurfs advice was very close - just the movement of the adjuster missing. :thumbs up:

I still think you were just too tight to buy a new set of projector lamps... ;)

Crombers
29th September 2008, 03:47 PM
Glad you got it sorted mate - sounds like Smurfs advice was very close - just the movement of the adjuster missing. :thumbs up:

I still think you were just too tight to buy a new set of projector lamps... ;)

Yep, cheers Vaila :thumbs up:

I would'nt rule out the projectors in silver mate (as discussed yesterday), & you know that's quite something from someone who has thus far not been a fan of aftermarket lights :cool:

Smurf
29th September 2008, 04:41 PM
No worries!! :thumbs up:

Mine fixed themselves after just opening and shutting the bonnet a few times... but it's nice to know that if that doesn't work, then switching the lights on, twiddling the switch, and giving it a firm thump will work!

Sounds like Microsoft must have made the headlamp units... :smilewinkgrin:

Crombers
29th September 2008, 10:34 PM
Sounds like Microsoft must have made the headlamp units... :smilewinkgrin:

Microsoft / BMW , ........................... splitting hairs :rolleyes::eyes up:;)

AndyP & Lenore
30th September 2008, 01:24 AM
Crombers, glad you got your head light sorted. I know you're keeping your MINI for a long time, and you want to keep it in good nick, but the thought of spending the kind of money on replacing a whole headlamp unit must have been a real PITA.

While we're sharing....

The power amp which drives the centre channel in our big screen in the cinema occasionally goes on the blink. First time we noticed it, it was giving out a nasty buzz instead of proper speech (normally carried by the centre channel in a cinema). So I checked all the connections, at the amp and at the processor end. All seemed fine. Called my Dad in (our technical expert). Dad came across and re-checked all the connections - nothing wrong. So we started ripping out decoder cards from the processor. Didn't matter what we did this nasty buzzing sound would not go away from the center channel.

In my frustration, and resigning ourselves to having to buy a new £500 amp, I thumped the top of the amp with my fist.

Buzz stopped. All back to normal. Happens again once every 6 months or so. Each time we just give the top of the amp a wee knock and it disappears.:thumbs up:

A.:thumbs up:

AeroJonny
30th September 2008, 02:28 AM
ahhh, the joys of percussive maintenance :D