PDA

View Full Version : Hypermiler ~ I've turned into one

Scottie
23rd September 2008, 07:17 PM
Ok I do have a Dooper so it might be a bit cheeky hypermilling but I thought what the hell give it ago.

3 weeks have passed since I've changed my driving style.

Previous on my daily drive (20 miles round trip) my average was between 47 to 48.5 via OBC mainly A road driving followed by stop start driving round Stirling to BofA.

My average now via OBC is 53.6mpg

What I have changed is simply watching my revs while making sure my speed is always well within the national speed limit and keeping with the flow of traffic now I make sure I keep the rpm as low as possible always between 1000 and 3000 rpm and trying to maintain 1500 to 2000 rpm. I can sit happy in 6th gear @ 30mph with no problems ok maybe easier at low revs in a diesel. I was surprised with a bit of attention just how much I increased my mpg.

With todays increase in the $ ppb for oil the biggest increase in the last decade I think I will keep being a hypermiler most days.

ny152
23rd September 2008, 08:36 PM
Greetings fellow Dooper Fiona ;bigwave:

In the last 6000 miles my OBC is showing 70.9 mpg.
Most of the time I get that doing the same as Fi, and keep my speed to about 55.
When I drive it the way you are meant to drive a MINI ;), it drops to about 68mpg. In financial terms £20 must be getting me about 300 or so miles.

I did notice quite a (positive) jump in the economy figures after my first service.

And did we mention the £35 a year road tax?!!

Scottie
23rd September 2008, 10:29 PM
I've not had the mpg you are getting best is about 65 to 70 on motorway driving slow

average motor way driving :smilewinkgrin: 55mpg

Scottie
23rd September 2008, 10:37 PM
Oh I should add that my car is pre Oct 2007 so I should have the wee switch arrows on my display that will indicate when best to change gear I just need to figure out how to turn on this display.:blush:

Gismo
24th September 2008, 04:22 AM
Nice one Fi, of course it doesn't upset me that it's only £35 a year tax :ragin:
I managed 11mpg at Knockhill recently :Whistle:

Big Gordy
24th September 2008, 10:53 AM
Like you Fi, with a bit of restraint, I've managed to eek out about 750 miles from the Audi's tank:thumbs up: I was only managing about 660 miles when I first got it:Whistle: It still costs me about 65 quid to fill it tho and 135 quid for road tax:ragin:

The Dogfather
24th September 2008, 12:47 PM
I tried a similar experiment in my Clubman S got my consumption up to 48mpg over a typical 35 mile trip to work, mind you the temptation to use the power means I'd rather enjoy the drive and get 38pmg

mini saltire
24th September 2008, 03:59 PM
Have you thought about putting a sail on top of the car for when you are driving down wind...:Whistle:;)

I do try and hypermile but then there is always a good reason to go slightly faster than everyone else, I just wish I knew what that reason was!!:laugh:

ianking
24th September 2008, 06:36 PM
Think your selves lucky. My average on the 130 at the moment is 24mpg due to the short trips to and from work.

illegalhunter
24th September 2008, 08:55 PM
I managed to get 38.7mpg doing 78mph on a 540 mile round trip to Crewe

Scottie
23rd February 2009, 08:54 PM
best average mpg achieved in my R56 Cooper (petrol) tonight .

56.7 MPG:yes nod::yes nod::yes nod:

on a 15 mile trip from BofA to home

starting Town driving for 1 mile then A road then motorway then B road and back on an A road with 5 roundabouts involved finishing with 1/2 mile town driving.

although I was as low as 38.9mpg during the cold spell and not bothering about things.

Big variance but if driving careful it's amazing what these wee Coopers can do.:smilewinkgrin:

AeroJonny
24th February 2009, 12:36 AM
I got 45mpgout of the S on my way back over the border at chrimbo...pretty good when you consider it's an auto (eek!) too