PDA

View Full Version : exhaust emissions

lowrider
23rd September 2008, 05:41 PM
My yellow engine light stayed on today. I looked the book and it says its the exhaust emissions. Should this be looked at immediately, and would it be best to get it diagnostic checked @ the dealers or can a regular garage do the same ?

Thanks in advance, Ag.

Craig
23rd September 2008, 06:05 PM
I would say not immeditately, but certainly within a week. Could be a faulty lamba sensor

most independants will be able to diagnose it by plugging it into a diagnostic machine. :thumbs up:

best of luck... ;)

Burple
23rd September 2008, 10:23 PM
Mine did this a couple of months back, got a shot of a handheld diagnostic thingy (technical term ;)) and looked the code up on Google / Mini2..

It said the same thing... emissions..
I booked it into our friendly dealer, turns out it was a dodgy Lambda sensor. Thankfully still under warranty, got the sensor swapped, and no more light! :cool::thumbs up:

I dunno if that's something that can be done easily DIY, but it might be worth investigating if you can find out if that's what's at fault :thumbs up:

Craig
23rd September 2008, 10:48 PM
any garage should be able to change the lamda sensor....:yes nod:

as for the resetting of the error code - maybe our helpful Craig Noble could tell us if an independant could do this ;):thumbs up:

audrey
24th September 2008, 12:14 AM
Lowrider I've had this problem for ages managed to get it fixed yesterday:smilewinkgrin: read my post engine light on C Noble and Elfman gave me lots of advice hope it helps you too:thumbs up:

ELFMAN
24th September 2008, 11:03 AM
Craig's going to have a look at my light this weekend when he's with the MINI Challenge cars at Doune Hillclimb - what a nice man.

C.Noble
24th September 2008, 11:07 AM
Sorry, missed this thread yesterday :blush:.

Any garage should be able to change something as simple as a oxygen sensor if it does turn out to be the fault.

The vast majority of independants now will have at least a simple code reader that will read EOBD fault codes on any car that is EOBD compliant (pretty much everything since 1998... and ALL MINIs) these code readers are usually capable of erasing the codes too.

These simple code readers are available on the net for under £20 these days and are VERY simple to use, just plug and read, leave plugged in to clear. A simple search on google will usually give you an indication of the fault detected.

Testing the offending system, and ultimately fixing it is the difficult bit!! :argh:

As I said on Audreys thread, if any one wants to have a fault code explained, I would be happy to help.

Cheers, sorry for ther delayed response.

lowrider
24th September 2008, 02:13 PM
Anyone with a fault reading machine who would be willing to have a look at it for me. I would really appreciate it as I have just bought the car and don't want to take any chances.

ps. I was driving quite "sporty" the day the light came on. Would this make a difference ?

C.Noble
24th September 2008, 02:58 PM
Where are you based?

lowrider
24th September 2008, 05:27 PM
Glasgow,but will travel !!

lowrider
26th September 2008, 08:31 PM
After 3 runs light has gone out.relief! Thanks for the advice everyone