PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox Advice

VFR-Ray
22nd September 2008, 11:04 AM
I used to own a Mini One D - 04 plate, had it from new. Loved the car, but the gear change was horrible when selecting reverse. Considering purchasing another Mini, the Cooper D. Can someone tell me if BMW/Mini have put an improved box in the current Cooper D?

Living on an island I can't call past my nearest dealership to ask/test drive. What one person calls acceptable, another calls horrible. But my car is my business - I work as a Driving Instructor. I purchased my One D "blind" having had a test drive in a Mini One which had a different box! I found the gear change okay, but for some smaller people they really struggled getting car into reverse - two hands on the gear lever sometimes!

Craig
22nd September 2008, 11:17 AM
I think I am right in saying that the 6 speed gearbox in the Cooper D is the same one as in the Cooper S.. :confused: If so, then Jude had problems getting both of my S's into reverse. She had to use two hands to get it into gear...

this may be down to her being a bit weak, or that the gearbox was a bit tight...

I am sure a Dooper owner will be along soon... (ScottieDoop, Ajamesj, Zimbo...) :thumbs up:

Big Gordy
22nd September 2008, 12:36 PM
having had a test drive in a Mini One which had a different box! I found the gear change okay

That's about the only thing I can complain about in our 03 'ONE':eek:
I don't think I've ever managed to get it into reverse first time:ragin: That's even after the garage changed the cable:argh:
It always seems to happen when your trying to do a 'speedy' 3 point turn and your left like a numpty in the middle of the manoeuvre searching for reverse:thud:
Of course this never happens when her indoors drives it....sheesh!

VFR-Ray
22nd September 2008, 07:58 PM
Thanks Craig. If someone else confirms my fears it appears that BMW have decided to use the same gearbox second time around. The original D certainly shared the box from the Cooper S.

Lot of rumours about 12 months after the Cooper S was launched, lots of Cooper S were returned to dealers in exchange for the Cooper as many women drivers couldn't select reverse!

Scottie
22nd September 2008, 08:08 PM
Hello,

I have the Cooper D and do not have a problem getting it into reverse.

I suffer with both my wrists and also Dequervains Tendonitis.(office worker) tapping a keyboard for 27 years I've paid the price.

To give you an idea I can not lift the kettle or teapot with water in them but I can get the Mini in to reverse no problem.

ny152
23rd September 2008, 08:23 PM
Hi
I've had both a One-D and a Cooper-D.

Never really had much of a problem putting the One into reverse (just gave it a good tug :blush:), but would say that the Cooper does seem to be a bit smoother and I've never missed reverse in it.

Ivano
25th September 2008, 01:40 PM
That's about the only thing I can complain about in our 03 'ONE':eek:
I don't think I've ever managed to get it into reverse first time

Yep know what you mean my current 05 Cooper is like this when trying to put into reverse... it very rarley goes in first time and always at times as you said that you don't want it too :frown:

pamelab21
26th September 2008, 12:32 PM
I have an 04 Cooper S and it can be a bu*ger to put into reverse, can't say its 'cause I can't find it, its just it takes some force.
I tend to find locking my arm straight and pushing myself almost against the drivers door does the trick....not a good look but does the trick! :blush: