PDA

View Full Version : ARG!!! White spots everywhere...

euan
19th September 2008, 05:22 PM
OK, so BMW had my car in for a service and I asked them to tidy up a couple of scratches on the bonnet for me as they have a new guy who's doing the smart repair stuff and he'd been recommended. So I get back to the car and it looks fine. Next day, there are white marks all over the bonnet and the bumper, the bumper is way worse!!

I think it's polish overrun and they must have polished the bonnet afterwards, but no matter what I've tried they aren't shifting - any ideas?!?

ianking
20th September 2008, 07:32 PM
If its polish compound then it should come off with the jet wash and a soapy wash mitt. If that doesnt shift it then maybe try a polish such as autoglym super resin. If not then take it back to the dealer that done the work and let them worry about it.

Doesnt sound like they have done a very good job to be honest if they are putting the car out like that. I would be looking for buffer trails as well if there is compound splaters all over it.

euan
21st September 2008, 01:44 PM
Yeah, I think they rushed it to be honest. It's going in on Tuesday as no amount of wash mitt action shifts it, nor does polishing.

Thing is, the car looked fine at the time, it was the next day that I spotted it. Maybe I just didn't look that closely when I picked it up (probably very likely!).

euan
23rd September 2008, 02:13 PM
Hmm. Turns out only some of it is polish...

The bonnet was mainly polish, with some of what comes next on it too. It's actually the equivalent of shot blasting, so something was on the road which was thrown up into the car and has pock marked the whole bumper. Needs a respray to repair it!
It's like thousands of little chips on the bumper, which would explain why it won't polish out! Gutted!

Stewart
27th September 2008, 11:33 AM
Hi so next year when my 57 plate goes in for a service I can ask for a smart repair on stone chips etc. did this cost you? As I’m on TLC for the next two services.

I’d love them to do s professional job but wary of it being amateur hour as I really look after my cars and polish, seal and wax them.

So You can ask for this service.

euan
27th September 2008, 01:06 PM
Yup, most dealers will do it, some better than others.

You have to pay for it, but the cost to do my car was pretty reasonable and they've done a job I'm happy with. I had Chips Away do some on my last car last year and they were also pretty good, but the guys at BMW did a better job.

Stewart
28th September 2008, 07:20 PM
Thanks I'll keep that in mind when I go in...... It came with a few chips and the car had only 1200 on the clock...:rolleyes:

euan
29th September 2008, 02:43 PM
Thanks I'll keep that in mind when I go in...... It came with a few chips and the car had only 1200 on the clock...:rolleyes:

That's a nightmare!