PDA

View Full Version : 2006 spec Rear light upgrade

Gaz B
17th September 2008, 04:36 PM
Here is a step by step guide to upgrading your 2002 spec rear light clusters to 2006 spec.

Tools.

1. a 10mm spanner or ratchet.
2. a flat bladed terminal screwdriver.
3. a soldering iron or 3 pieces of terminal block.
4. a length of cable long enough to streach neatly between your two rear lights. You only need 1 core!
5. snips.
6. Phillips/star srewdriver.

Equipment.

1. 2006 spec rear light clusters.
2. rear fog light to replace reverse light.

Method.

1. Open boot and remove the two plastic covers at either side of the boot behind each light.
2. Using your 10mm ratchet or spanner remove the 1 nut that holds the light in place.
3. To remove light fully, put your hand through behind the light cluster to the very outside edge of the car where you will find two clips. push these clips in while pushing the light outwards to remove the light. (you can refer to your new light clusters for the positioning of the two clips that you are trying to locate)
4. Unplug the light.
5. Repeat process for the other side.
6. Run your length of cable between your two lights under the plastic covers around the boot so as it is hidden.
7. Starting at the left hand light as you face the rear of the car look for the yellow/brown cable that goes into the plug for the light.
8. Cut this cable 2-3" back from the plug tape up the end that comes from inside the car. this is no longer used.
9. Attach your newly run in cable to the yellow/brown that comes from the plug. The left light is now complete but do not refit until you have tested.
10. Moving to the right hand side light. Cut the yellow/black cable that goes to the light plug.
11. Cut the blue/yellow cable that goes through a grommet in the floor near the rear light.
12. Join the blue/yellow that comes from inside the car, the yellow/black that comes from the rear light plug and your new cable that comes from the left hand light together. This wires up your new reverse lights!
13. Join together the remaining two wires which will be a blue/yellow which goes through the floor of the boot and a yellow/black from inside the car. This wires up your new fog light in the bumper.
14. I made all of the connections at the right hand light in the area behind the plastic cover removed in step 1. It as a bit fiddly but it you take your time it makes for a neater job.
15. To replace your reverse light with your new fog light you must gain access from under the car and using a screwdriver simply push in the clips at either side while pushing the light out. refer to your new fog light for position of clips.
16. Test all light functions and make sure all of your connections are solid. Replace rear lightsby reversing how they were removed and fog light just pushes in.

I did this job in under an hour and have tried to explain as best as I can. I found it easy probably because I'm an electrician so If you are not confident please ask or get some assistance. This is done at your own risk and I am only passing on my method of installation.

Any questions please feel free to ask.

Cheers. G:thumbs up:

Gismo
17th September 2008, 04:44 PM
Cheers Gaz, hope we can entice more folks to add to the "How To" forum :thumbs up:

Gaz B
18th September 2008, 07:59 PM
No probs Alan,:thumbs up: Tried to explain it as best I can.:computer: Not as easy as I thought!:confused:

Done now tho...........:Whistle:

cpearson
30th December 2008, 01:57 PM
great "how to" chap....finally finished them yesterday and only took me just over half an hour.

thanks again!

Gaz B
7th January 2009, 09:04 PM
Well done Chris,Nice one! It's more satisfying if you fit them yourself!!;) Glad you are happy with them.:thumbs up: