PDA

View Full Version : Super Swirl

ianking
15th September 2008, 09:52 PM
Thought you guys might like to see an example of bad car washing and why you should be very careful when washing a car, particularly if its black as the car will show up even more swirls.

However if you buy a used car that is covered in swirls then a bit of hard work with the right tools will sort it out.

This was a real tough one. It took 2 of us each 9 hours so a total of 18 man hours and we didnt even have to do the inside.

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=85824

Gismo
15th September 2008, 09:57 PM
Nice work Ian, shame one of the guys thinks your Mini is a Calibra :blush:

The Dogfather
15th September 2008, 09:59 PM
There's a MINI and a Calibra. My loan car (150 miles when I picked it up) has a really bad mark on the bonnet. Just goes to show how easy it is to get them :(

Gismo
15th September 2008, 11:10 PM
There's a MINI and a Calibra(Oops :blush:

Forbes
16th September 2008, 12:26 AM
Looks like my roof. I will need to speak to you on one of the runs about detailing
Glad you didnt see the guy at the Jetwash before the Dundee Cruise Ian, dragged a cloth in a muddy puddle. We left before we saw what he did with it.

ianking
16th September 2008, 08:56 AM
My god. I dare not think what he was about to do with that cloth.

Bumble
16th September 2008, 10:36 PM
My god. I dare not think what he was about to do with that cloth.

big time heebie geebies!

N12 JLK
17th September 2008, 06:04 PM
still full of swirls:moonie:

binnie
18th September 2008, 12:20 AM
18 man hours? thats a lot of effort for an old beemer IMO, was this done prior to putting on sale? or for the craic? :P

18 man hours can be totally f**ked by an old biddie and a shopping trolley in asda, don't flame me, but i don't see the point in show 'n' shine, a car is a machine, and should be treated as one :lol:

ianking
18th September 2008, 08:44 AM
18 man hours? thats a lot of effort for an old beemer IMO, was this done prior to putting on sale? or for the craic? :P

18 man hours can be totally f**ked by an old biddie and a shopping trolley in asda, don't flame me, but i don't see the point in show 'n' shine, a car is a machine, and should be treated as one :lol:

We done it for a chap that had just bought it. We did think that he had paid quite alot for it as it had a huge mileage on it and as you can see the condition wasnt that bad. We completely under charged though as I didnt think it would take as long as that. BMW paint is rock solid and that particular car seemed worse than most.
Im not going to argue with the customer though if they want to spend the money.

Scottie
22nd September 2008, 09:10 PM
wet sanding yikes you'd need to brave and well insured for that stuff.:smilewinkgrin::smilewinkgrin:

Needs to get his alloys fixed up a bit

ianking
23rd September 2008, 08:42 AM
wet sanding yikes you'd need to brave and well insured for that stuff.:smilewinkgrin::smilewinkgrin:

Needs to get his alloys fixed up a bit

Yes he has since had his alloys done by a guy that I recommended to him.

to be honesrt Fi wet sanding is not all that bad. I was shown how to do it at the garage some years ago and you just get a feal for these things. Worst case scenario if I went through the clear coat but to be honest he would have needed a respray anyway if I couldnt have fixed those heavy scratches so nothing to loose.

You can cause more damage with a compounding head than using 4000 grit anyway.