PDA

View Full Version : Extending warranty

euan
8th September 2008, 01:15 PM
Well, my car is almost three years old and I've been asked about extending the warranty on it. So what's the view on this? Worth it?

I've been quoted three levels:

Comprehensive (basically, everything)
Named components (all the major stuff, inc electrics)
Driveline (just the engine, gearbox and drive train)

It varies depending on excess levels, but the prices work out at 427, 380, 322 respectively, including BMW assist. I can bump the excess up and it reduces the premium by about 60/70 quid.

Thoughts? I'd like to have some cover, they seem pretty good cover levels and you get BMW assist, who are very good and prompt.

mini saltire
8th September 2008, 01:19 PM
IMHO If you can afford the top cover I would go for it. Some electrical problems can be the bain of your life as diagnosis can take a while and at over £100 per hour it would be nice to not to worry about labour costs.

Craig
8th September 2008, 03:18 PM
I'm with Mark on this one... If you can afford the most comprehensive cover, I would go for it. :thumbs up:

labour costs alone looking for a small fault, could cover or go over most of the price. ;)

Gismo
8th September 2008, 04:08 PM
I opted against extending the warranty on the M3, after reading the really small print the excess was payable for each claim and though it may have been useful if the engine failed i wasn't about to blow approx £500 per claim in excess fee's.

I would advise to go with your gut feel, no one knows the car better than you.
In no way can i be held responsible in the future if something goes wrong though ;)

euan
8th September 2008, 05:24 PM
I opted against extending the warranty on the M3, after reading the really small print the excess was payable for each claim and though it may have been useful if the engine failed i wasn't about to blow approx £500 per claim in excess fee's.

I would advise to go with your gut feel, no one knows the car better than you.
In no way can i be held responsible in the future if something goes wrong though ;)

Your excess must have been massive! I get three options, none, 100 or 250 and obviously the price comes up and down with the excess, by the prices I quoted are for a £100 excess.

I think I'll for it with that, the cost of the cover is too much with no excess, but £250 is probably a big chunk of any repair so to get any use of it £100 seems about right.

The car runs well, but I think it hadn't been that well looked after before I got it and I do a fair amount of miles in it, so I would like some comfort that if it all goes horribly wrong I won't get a bill!