PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering

ianking
4th September 2008, 05:33 PM
I know there have been a couple threads of late regarding power steering issues but mine is slightly different.

Car is a 52 plate cooper. Sarah was using the car today and when she started it up steering was a wee bit heavier than normal. Drove from her work for only 1 min then no power steering. She pulled over, called me to come and swap cars then she started the mini back up to move it off the road and the power steering is working again. I drove it back home to try it and all seems fine. However a couple weeks ago when I started it up to move it out the garage it took a good 10 seconds for the power steering to kick in.
The car gets very little use. In fact today was the first time since the picnic run. We are using it this Sunday though and I dont want to risk the pump failing on a mini run, particularly if we are going brisk.

Does any one know if this is the early signs of pump failure? I have checked all the pipes and they look fine, plenty fluid in the reservoir and no sign of leaks under the car. Anything else to check? The noise of the electric pump is no noisier than any others in my opinion.

Gismo
4th September 2008, 07:00 PM
Shouldn't really have any effect, but, maybe the lack of use is some way to blame, when you start it up turn the wheel lock to lock and see if you can hear the pump straining

Scottie
4th September 2008, 07:45 PM
I've no idea but would want to get it checked out before taking the car on a Mini Run just to be safe.

ianking
4th September 2008, 09:06 PM
Had it up on the ramps tonight. No evidence of leaking.
Does not sound like it is straining when put on lock. No knocks from the rack either.

On a plus note the pump looks like a doddle to change and is prob only about a 1 and a half hour job so I will do it myself but I am reluctant to spend £450 on a new pump if the old one isnt actually broken yet. Although I wouldnt want it to fail when im gunning it round a sharp bend but then I suppose any pump could fail at any time as other folks have had no prior warning.

Crombers
5th September 2008, 08:47 AM
Mine was different to yours as when mine failed it was like switching the lights off, i.e. working then 'totally' not working :frown:

C.Noble
5th September 2008, 09:33 AM
This is gonna sound like a silly thing to do, but try just turning the ignition on, without starting the engine, wait ten to fifteen seconds and listen to hear if the PAS pump is running/whining, give the steering wheel a turn in either direction to see if there is assistance there WITHOUT the engine running.

Its a long shot but a couple of mine have started doing this and I traced the fault to broken wires.

ianking
5th September 2008, 09:41 AM
I tried a similar experiment last night. I had the engine running then I stalled it on purpose. The power steering pump kept running. Is it meant to do this?

I will try what you suggest tonight although im sure the power steering pump has not been kicking in until the engine is fired up.

philthy
5th September 2008, 01:26 PM
the power steering pump will get louder and harder to steer the more worn it gets or it will continue to run (more common on cooper S it seems), eventually it will just fail.

Took me about an hour to take out and refit a recon unit (£175 from BBA Reman)

Any questions just give me a shout.

ianking
5th September 2008, 02:40 PM
Cheers Philty.

I had a look last night and it appears a doddle to change. I reconed just over an hour for me to do the job including bleeding the system. I saw that company advertised on ebay that do the recon units. I think you send your one away and they exchange it for a recon one. They give a warranty as well.