PDA

View Full Version : Handling problems

Ferengo
3rd September 2008, 08:07 PM
Hi there.

Recently fitted some new alloys to my R56 cooper. Same Alloys anf tyres as before just a different colour. Problem is I don't seem to have as much grip as before even though I have more tread. Any idea what the problem may be?

Cheers.

AndyP & Lenore
3rd September 2008, 09:23 PM
Ferengo, I think I'm right in saying you're on 17" run flats. So they'll probably be Dunlop Sport SP01.

We found they take a fair bit of running in. Thousand miles or so before you really feel like your getting the best out of them.

A.:D

Craig
3rd September 2008, 09:24 PM
are they the exact same make of tyre ? there is HUGE differences between makes of tyres for grip levels in different conditions.... :smilewinkgrin:

are the tyres pressures right? this can cause serious problems with handling...

other than that nothing else I can think off.... :thumbs up:

Big Gordy
3rd September 2008, 09:44 PM
and if there brand spanking new it will take a few hundred miles to scrub them in:thumbs up:

Gismo
3rd September 2008, 09:48 PM
As others have said, if new they need scrubbed in and also, if you got them delivered to you, are the grooves facing the right way :blush: tread only goes one way :thumbs up:

Ferengo
3rd September 2008, 10:42 PM
Ferengo, I think I'm right in saying you're on 17" run flats. So they'll probably be Dunlop Sport SP01.

We found they take a fair bit of running in. Thousand miles or so before you really feel like your getting the best out of them.

A.:D

They're 15" on michelin and have around 6000 miles on them already. Also they are just standard not run flats (Wish I had 17s though).

Nearly caused and accident the other day when I lost control. Put it down to the rain but last couple of days it feels light and like it wants to slip all over the road. Especially the front tyres.

Ferengo
3rd September 2008, 10:46 PM
As others have said, if new they need scrubbed in and also, if you got them delivered to you, are the grooves facing the right way :blush: tread only goes one way :thumbs up:

Did not know this about the tread. Which way should it face or does it tell you?

Also anyone know how to use the electric tyre pump on the R56 :blush:? I'm gonna check the preasure again tomorrow but it was ok when they were fitted.

Cheers all.

Oh, and it's 15" spoolers http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=15414

:thumbs up:

Gismo
3rd September 2008, 10:48 PM
They're 15" on michelin and have around 6000 miles on them already. Also they are just standard not run flats.Then i would check that you have put them on so they are facing the right way.
Is it more noticeable in the wet??

Big Gordy
4th September 2008, 08:42 AM
If they are directional it will have an arrow somewhere on the sidewall of the tyre showing their rotation when fitted:thumbs up:

stella
4th September 2008, 06:38 PM
thanx for all your advice ;)
he is trying to sort them out just now

Ferengo
4th September 2008, 06:48 PM
Ok. Had a look and they're not directional. The preasures were high, between 28 & 30 PSI when should be 26 PSI. Fixed that now.

If this doesn't work any other suggestions? Would it be worth having the allignment looked at? Whats the difference between balancing and aligning?

Cheers guys. :thumbs up:

Gismo
4th September 2008, 07:03 PM
Ok, Whats the difference between balancing and aligning?

Cheers guys. :thumbs up:Balancing adjust the wheel and tyre together to ensure the wheel runs true and without any wobble.
Alignment is basically making sure that the wheels are all pointing in the right direction when aiming straight ahead.

Is the car under warranty?? if so, take it in for a check

Ferengo
4th September 2008, 07:23 PM
It is still under warenty. I'll call JC's tomorrow and see what they say. Cheers.

Scottie
4th September 2008, 07:44 PM
is it just me or did you say you only got this problem after changing the wheels.:confused::confused:

to me it wold make sense to swap back to the original wheels take it for a test drive if handling is ok then nothing wrong with car.

Ferengo
4th September 2008, 08:25 PM
I may do that but that car was due in at JC's end of last month:confused:. So I'll call them tomorrow and see if they can spot the problem, if not then I'll swap back.

Big Gordy
5th September 2008, 09:10 AM
26psi seems a bit low to me:eek: but hey I've been wrong before:Whistle:

Ferengo
5th September 2008, 12:05 PM
26psi seems a bit low to me:eek: but hey I've been wrong before:Whistle:

:blush:. You may be right. I was going by the PSI/Bar on the pump that comes with the R56. Have jusy checked the manual and it says 2.2 bar and not 1.8 like the pump says.

Will sort later today and then I'll retry. Fingers crossed.

P.s. That's some new toy you have :thumbs up:.

Big Gordy
5th September 2008, 01:00 PM
P.s. That's some new toy you have :thumbs up:.

Ferengo
5th September 2008, 02:26 PM
Went out to sort the tyre pressure and some little :ragin: has stolen all my valve caps!!!

Anyway. Have fixed the pressure and will give it a run tonight. All this and it's my birthday... :sad:

Big Gordy
5th September 2008, 02:48 PM
Wayhay..........happy birthday;bigwave:
Maybe someone will give you new valve caps as a pressie:moonie:

Ferengo
6th September 2008, 03:33 PM
Maybe someone will give you new valve caps as a pressie:moonie:

:p

Sorted the tyre preasure so it's at 2.2 bar like the inside of the door says it should. It's worse than ever now. Anytime I go over a bump the front wheels lose any grip they have. Steering feels very light too. When I'm going round a corner it feels like it's gonna over steer.

Is booked into Grassicks for a week on wednesday to get that and the idle problem sorted.

Since the preasure is ok and so is the thread, what else could it be? Tracking, balance?

Ferengo.

Gismo
6th September 2008, 05:14 PM
sounds strange for a new car to be so bad only other thing I can think of is the dampers are shot

Ferengo
6th September 2008, 08:37 PM
sounds strange for a new car to be so bad only other thing I can think of is the dampers are shot

You don't know the half of it.

Gear box parts replaced,
Runners on front seats replaced 3 times
In for rattles over 20 times (Fixed via a 3rd party auto electrician fitting spotlights)
Speedo cluster replaced
Door trims replaced
Footwell plate replaced

I bought it new 1 year ago.

What are dampers? Also can anyone suggest a good set of tyres to get? Just incase I decide to go that route. I may try putting on my old alloys if Grassicks can't do anything for it. Could i have damaged the dampers changing the alloys?

Ferengo

Big Gordy
7th September 2008, 08:23 AM
Since the preasure is ok and so is the thread, what else could it be? Tracking, balance?

Tracking may make a difference. Too much toe out will make it turn into corners quicker but be prone to wandering when traveling in a straight line.....too much toe out gives the opposite affect, stable in a straight line but not so keen to turn into corners:idea: Most cars are set up with a little toe in as standard:Whistle: Am I right in saying that all this happened after you changed your alloys over:confused: Seems really weird:eek: Changing alloys wouldn't normally result in any change to your steering.............unless one of the alloys was corroded on and you had to resort to forcing it off:eyes up: If the alloy and the steel hub have 'welded' themselves together then a fair bit of brute force is required to part them:thud:If that was the case then your tracking could well be off and the issues your having may be the result. Hope you get to the bottom:moonie: of it:thumbs up:

Ferengo
7th September 2008, 09:06 AM
The old alloys came off really easy. It is fine in a straight line unless I hit a pot hole or something then the front wheels want to jump around the road for a second.

It's like the wheels want to turn faster than the car does without any grip. From what you say it sounds about right for what's happening to me. I'll le tthe experts deal with it then take it from there. I'll just need to be carefull until then. Need to get it sorted before the next run, thought there's plenty of time.

Would 17's give me mroe stability and grip? Or am I just clutching at straws now?

Cheers for all your help everyone. :thumbs up:

C.Noble
8th September 2008, 09:45 AM
What was the difference between the alloys you had before, and the ones you have now?
And I dont mean looks, do they have a different off-set, width, or diameter?

If the front toe has moved (to give you the feeling your are explaining, I would suspect they are mega toe in) the steering wheel will most likely be sitting off centre, unless both front wheels have been knocked/moved by the same amount, is this the case?

Ferengo
8th September 2008, 10:38 AM
Exactly the same alloys and tyres just a colour difference. They are 15" spoolers running on Michelin energy non runflats. They have a lot of tread left too.

The handling feels fine until you get to about 20/25 Mph then it feels very very light. My wife did Kerb our old alloy quite bad but we ran on them for about 3 months after without problems.

Would it be worth rotating the alloys round at all?

Oh and the steering is off centre.

C.Noble
8th September 2008, 10:53 AM
When did you first notice the wheel was off centre, after the kerb clipping incident or after the wheels were changed?

Ferengo
8th September 2008, 12:42 PM
I first noticed it after the alloy change but that was because I was unsure of they handling, I never noticed it before but then again I wasn't looking for it. So it could have happened before, but it's interesting that you mentioned that and my car is sitting like that. I'll be sure to mention it to Grassicks :thumbs up:. Cheers.

Ferengo
18th September 2008, 09:26 AM
Got it back last night. The idle problem is fixed, they just up'd the idle revs. They couldn't find anything wrong with the handling. They took it out for a test drive, check the alloys for warp/buckling and checked alignment and they say it's all fine.

I had a mini one as a replacement and that handled brilliantly. Hugged the corners and never once felt like it was gonna slip on the road. Compared to my cooper which the steering feels light and it feels as though it is slipping on the road (Has done seriously once).

I don't know what to do as I feel It may just be all in my head now. Any advice as to what else it could be? Any of you mini drivers in or near Dundee and want to see what you maybe think of it in the flesh?

Big Gordy
18th September 2008, 09:55 AM
What your explaining still sounds like your tyres are over inflated to me:confused: If they're set at 2.2 bar/32psi which is the correct pressure then I don't understand it:ragin: Try dropping the pressure down to 2.1bar/30psi and see how it feels is the only thing left I can suggest:Whistle:
I've got a set of 15" steelies I use in the winter and they have those Michelin energy non runflats you have and I don't have any of issues your experiencing...........weird:frown:

Big Gordy
18th September 2008, 09:58 AM
Any advice as to what else it could be? Any of you mini drivers in or near Dundee and want to see what you maybe think of it in the flesh?

Maybe Burple(Euan) or Zimbo(Ali) can have a shot and see what they thing as they're both Dundonians (well they stay there anyway:moonie:)

Ferengo
18th September 2008, 10:08 AM
They checked the preasure and said it was all fine. Will ask both Burple and Zimbo, but I know Zimbo is moving soon so he may be busy. Cheers.

Gismo
18th September 2008, 10:34 AM
Might be worth someone else driving it, make sure the insurance side is covered :thumbs up:

Big Gordy
18th September 2008, 11:07 AM
make sure the insurance side is covered :thumbs up:

If the handlings as bad as he says it is thats a VERY good idea:smilewinkgrin::moonie:

C.Noble
18th September 2008, 11:46 AM
Can you get the car to me some evening next week? I will have a look at the set up if you like, can even check the geometry if needed.

Ferengo
19th September 2008, 10:12 PM
Burple took a look at it tonight (Cheers again dude :D). He drove it and he thought it was ok. It did slip a bit but that was going round and round a roundabout so it's a given. Guess I will jsut have to put it down to difference in tread, preasure and maybe component rubber from my last set. I may have to deflate the tyres slightly until it feels the same.

Am looking at getting some white 17 bullets soon, so will see if that makes a difference. Also ordered a JCW strut brace to see if it makes any change to the way it corners.

Thanks for your help guys. At least I know I had the tyres way too flat to begin with and it has improved since pumping them up to the right preasure, will let them down slightly and see how it feels, possibly even inflate hogher and see how that is.

Cheers

:thumbs up: