PDA

View Full Version : Calling all computer geeks!!

N12 JLK
31st August 2008, 10:28 PM
Hi, hope you can help. I have been having problems with my PC for a few months now and finally decided that enough was enough and tried to fix it.
It is running very slow and I can only use it for the internet or something simple. As soon as I start to do anything too big a blue screen comes up saying BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER. It tells me there is a problem with hardware and to remove anything recently installed, but I have not installed anything.
A friend suggested I use something called Trend Micro - housecall. When I run it, it finds something called HKTL_PROCKILL.A, but with 5 mins to go the blue screen comes up (before it has a chance to fix it). ARGGHHHHHH
I have looked both up on the internet and got into some forums, but have not got a clue what they are blethering on about. Can someone tell me how to fix it with no jargon.

PRETTY PLEASE.:confused::confused:

Gismo
31st August 2008, 10:43 PM
Well, it would appear that your USB drivers are causing the problem, hence the error code.

Have you done a search on the internet for this?? i did and it brought up loads of options to try, too many for me to list.

Sounds to me like your machine could do with a format and reinstall of windows, probably jammed up with tmp files and old software installations etc

Possible problem areas are , memory faulty, graphics card faulty, the BIOS needs updated.

How old is your machine??

AndyP & Lenore
1st September 2008, 12:58 AM
Well, it would appear that your USB drivers are causing the problem, hence the error code.

Have you done a search on the internet for this?? i did and it brought up loads of options to try, too many for me to list.

Sounds to me like your machine could do with a format and reinstall of windows, probably jammed up with tmp files and old software installations etc
Possible problem areas are , memory faulty, graphics card faulty, the BIOS needs updated.

How old is your machine??

:thumbs up:

First thing I thought of too.

A.

Craig
1st September 2008, 09:01 AM
Jason/Lesley,

I would also be so bold as to say you may have a virus. I have seen this many times, the virus says that there is something wrong with your pc (ie USB), but it's really just slowing down your PC making it unusable.:frown:

The simpliest fix (if you have all the driver disks) is a reload of windows. I can do that for you if you like, just let me know. :thumbs up:

N12 JLK
1st September 2008, 10:09 AM
Might do that Craig, going to try and take off some of the USBs first.

Will let you know.

Thanks

rocker4500
1st September 2008, 10:16 AM
Yup, deff sounds like a driver error to me. Anything could of caused it. I would deff suggest remove USB device installed software, reinstall USB drivers - including USB 2.0 drivers in XP or VISTA (is you are using it) - and then reinstall your USB device sofware.

Gary

Burple
1st September 2008, 11:00 AM
Arg.. USB driver problems are never fun.. and never so easy to sort..
Like Craig says, it may also be a virus.., you could do worse than going here (http://vil.nai.com/VIL/stinger/) and downloading the stinger app and giving it a blast on the PC. It's just an executable file, you don't have to install it, and it's free from NAI. we've used it here at work a few times, and it's caught stuff other anti virus software hasn't. Follow the instructions on that page. it's dead simple.
Then you have the fun option of uninstalling all your USB devices and the applications that use them, and trying again...

You'd almost be as quick reinstalling Windows to be honest..

and remember to back up any stuff you don't wanna lose! Photos, Music etc..

rocker4500
1st September 2008, 12:14 PM
You'd almost be as quick reinstalling Windows to be honest..

Totaly agree....that way you can be sure you solved the problem and are free of any unwanted malware that might reside on your system!

Ferengo
3rd September 2008, 08:56 AM
Other option is a bit more extreme is to externally backup all of your files and wipe the thing. Then if it keeps happening after that then you know it's a hardware fault and not a driver fault, but this is coming from a Mac user :p

rocker4500
3rd September 2008, 12:15 PM
but this is coming from a Mac user :p

AHHHHHHHH :argh: MAC user :computer:....RUN :nag:

:D lol

Ferengo
3rd September 2008, 02:19 PM
AHHHHHHHH :argh: MAC user :computer:....RUN :nag:

:D lol

:p.

Still, my solution is valid on all platforms even linux :rolleyes: (Don't get me started on linux users :D)

rocker4500
3rd September 2008, 02:31 PM
Theres absaloutly nothing wrong with Linux!!!! HA! apart from its for super geeks! lol.
I actualy use it quite a lot when at uni and what not as its used alot in computer security etc...backtrack for example.

Never mind :p

Yup, it does stand for all platforms, backup your docs etc, format and reinstall....its always the best soloution....even with vista lolol

N12 JLK
3rd September 2008, 08:56 PM
Thanks for your advice folks. Will give most a try, but I do think I am going to have to re-install windows.

Will let you know how I get on.

Lesley

The Bull
3rd September 2008, 09:36 PM
I'm with Craig, that's a virus kidding on that you have a driver problem. I saw a very similar one yesterday in the line of work. What antivirus do you use?

I would recommend ESET NOD32 or Kaspersky.

You could try and clean it but I'll go with the majority and recommend a reformat to be sure there are no traces of it left.