PDA

View Full Version : newbie what typical faults/flaws to look for

lowrider
29th August 2008, 11:00 PM
Hello

I am looking for a new car, with a mini at the top of my list (wise choice I'm sure you will agree) having a mk1 mx5 just now I am looking for something funky and the mini fits the bill ! I am looking for a mini one '02/'03 plate and thought I would ask the experts (you guys) for the typical flaws/faults to look out for.

Thanks in advance, Ag.

Gismo
29th August 2008, 11:47 PM
:welcome:
Really depends on what year of car you're going for, hopefully you'll manage to get a face lift version, being a bit newer it probably has all the bugs ironed out.
I would advise a mini cherished variant so that you get decent warranty

Give us an idea of what your budget is :thumbs up:

lowrider
1st September 2008, 06:43 PM
where is all the advice ?

I am looking at 2001/2002 plates

Ferengo
1st September 2008, 07:50 PM
Depends on your budget. I agree with Gismo, Face lift would be the best. Optional packs like salt and pepper are always a bonus. These are just packages that include things like alloys, AC, Trip computer etc... Pepper being better than salt as it has more in it.

Dash rattles are notorious on most models but the ones you'll be looking at should either be fixed or dealer fixable. They released a felt pack which the dealer will add on free and this solves the rattle. I got my Cooper new on a 57 plate. I thad rattles but mini dealers are nearly always great to deal with and it sorted now.

Really what you should look out for is the same on most cars. HPI clear, do a check to make sure it's not been written off, Service history is always a bonus and due to the mini TLC it's easy to find one with a FSH. Take one out for a spin and I'm sure you'll be hooked. I have to admit I wasn't a big fan until I got behind the wheel and now I'm looking at getting a 2nd one.
Anymore questions just post or PM. :thumbs up:

Craig
1st September 2008, 08:42 PM
My advice would be save up a wee bit more money and get a facelift car.

much less problems with gearboxes, steering racks, steering columns, bc1 units, headlamps etc etc.

as for problems with Mk1 R50 cars are as above. clutch and gearbox is the biggest cost, so check they are working fine...

any other info you need ?

Crombers
2nd September 2008, 10:22 AM
Owning one of the last Mk1 MINI's (May 04 build) born June 04 & having now covered 57000 miles, I would first of all check to see what warranty work (if any :laugh:) has been done on the car.

Thus far I have had the steering rack, steering column & power steering pump replaced (first two under warranty, last one courtesy of BMW goodwill gesture :thumbs up:)

To date I have suffered nowt else (why oh why have I said this!!! :confused:) apart from replacing the obvious tyres & front brake pads (at 54000 miles ;))

Hope this helps & be prepared for a never ending moification list once purchased :thumbs up:

ianking
2nd September 2008, 11:12 AM
If you are looking at 2001/2002 plate cars on a mini one then the only package option at that time was a salt pack. This is a must have really as it contains the bare essentials such as rev counter, fog lamps, interior lighting.

If budget permits only an earlier car then I would not worry too much if the car has a low mileage, (say less than 60k if its got full mini history).

Gearboxes are a problem on early ones but if it engages all gears smootly and no drooning noises then would seem fine.
My old man has a garage and is starting to see quite alot of earlier minis (pre 04) comming in for work. Wheel bearings are common he said as well as corroded brake pipes, brake discs and exhaust back boxes like to corrode as well although the back boxes are double skinned so it might look worse than it actually is.

You will be able to find a decent private sale 2001-2002 mini one for £5k now.

lowrider
2nd September 2008, 10:46 PM
Thanks everyone !

My budget is 5500 tops and I am going for a cooper with fsh only.I should get a decent 2001 plate for that. I have only driven a one so far and walked away because it was a heap and the independent dealer had faked the service history.
Are high mileage cars ok if backed up with fsh ? Being an ex vw golf gti enthusiast (still would like to get another mk 1 some day)I had some gti's that I put serious miles on but ran very well being well serviced. Is this the same for the mini/bmw engine ?

Thanks again for all your advice,it's appreciated.
Ag

Gismo
2nd September 2008, 10:52 PM
If you're going for a 2001 plate, make sure, as Crombers has already mentioned, that all the warranty work has been carried out.
The Cooper's suffered from a left pull, was down to a suspension bushing if i remember rightly.
It certainly won't be a face lifted car

You could always get a ONE and have it remapped, that'll bring it up to Cooper BHP, but, you will lose out on other things like, probably 15" wheels, unless already changed.
Body coloured roof, not a problem as such, but that's the way they came in 2001.

Contact Saltire Vehicles (site sponsor) he can help you track down any type of car you want :thumbs up:

ianking
3rd September 2008, 12:00 PM
Monkimagic on here is selling a cheap car.
Have a look at this

http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=15136

Forbes
3rd September 2008, 12:30 PM
John Clark still got that trade Cooper? Go to the JC section

lowrider
5th September 2008, 09:50 PM
Thanks, had a look but don't like red cars ! 1st choice would be black then silver,green,blue.Cooper is first on the list but the economy of the 1.4D appeals the 75bhp does not !

monkimagic
6th September 2008, 11:13 PM
Monkimagic on here is selling a cheap car.
Have a look at this

http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=15136

And a fine car it is aswell, thanks for the referral mate.

lowrider
15th September 2008, 07:20 PM
No joy so far. I went to look at one in Renfrew and walked away when I noticed that the guy had taken the service book away and came back with it (suspicious) I think he faked some history stamps :ragin: waste of my time.

I have seen a few with high miles backed up with fsh. Does anyone think they are worth a look ? I would rather hold off for one with lower miles but they don't seem to be within my budget.