PDA

View Full Version : Fitting Lower Aero Grille

Gismo
28th August 2008, 09:52 PM
Ok, I have the upper grille fitted, piece of cake :Whistle: but, before i do the lower one i need some clarification from those who have done it recently :yes nod:

Did the effective thickness have to be reduced, i.e, removing the material from the back part.
I seem to remember some folks just fitting it and it sticks out a bit more than the original, this sounds fine to me if it can be done :thumbs up:

john
29th August 2008, 01:21 AM
Looks much better if thinned out;)

Gismo
29th August 2008, 10:35 AM
Looks much better if thinned out;)Yep, agreed, now that the bumpers off it's quite obvious that none of the tabs fit any of the existing holes, thanks BMW :rolleyes:
So, it's off to buy a dremel :Whistle:
I'm just gonna glue it into place, which, is the most used route anyway :yes nod:

ianking
29th August 2008, 11:25 AM
Does that mean you have to cut off the taps then just glue the face of the grill into the bumper.

Craig
29th August 2008, 12:13 PM
Does that mean you have to cut off the taps then just glue the face of the grill into the bumper.

I think when you use the dremel, you modify the tabs, so that they don't hold which I why you have to glue it also as it will just sit there and isn't really held in place. That was what I got from the instructions I found when I thought about an aero grill... ;)

Gismo
29th August 2008, 01:32 PM

I think when you use the dremel, you modify the tabs, so that they don't hold which I why you have to glue it also as it will just sit there and isn't really held in place. That was what I got from the instructions I found when I thought about an aero grill... ;)Only 2 of them actually get anywhere near close to lining up to a hole in the bumper, so, i'm gonna make some holes to match the grille and then dremel away the plastic to create new tabs, then i'm gonna drill a hole in them and wedge them in place behind the bumper.
That and the glue should hold everything in place :thumbs up: