PDA

View Full Version : Scam or genuine....?

FergusM
28th August 2008, 08:03 AM
So... got the following email about my car....

Hi Fergus, thanks for your reply with this great news, however before I commit myself to such a purchase and decide to come over to view the car I would like to make sure that everything is OK with it, so please email me as many pictures as you have, the registration number, the chassis and engine numbers and a scanned copy of the V5 registration document by email or by fax at xxxxxxxxxxxx

So I supplied reg number so an HPI check could be carried out but refused to supply the rest. Maybe getting to suspicous in my old age.... I will of course supply pics of the car.

Ferengo
28th August 2008, 08:12 AM
Could be genuine. If I were coming a long distance then I'd want as much info as possible, but you're right not to supply a copy of the reg doc. Just give them what you have plus loads of pictures and let them know that you don't feel comfortable supply that information but you are happy to let them see it when they come to view and see how they react.

FergusM
28th August 2008, 08:27 AM
Think the number is a London one...so could be right, have sent on pics, offered that Iam happy for them to get someone to inspect etc...

...if genuine I hope they will understand my caution.

Gismo
28th August 2008, 08:38 AM
Offer a full RAC vehicle inspection as part of the deal

ianking
28th August 2008, 08:55 AM
I think it could be a scam Fergus

This happened to me with a Corsa I was selling about a year ago. The guy wanted photo copies of the V5 front and back, MOT and then take pics of the chassis plate. I was a bit suspicious so I sent him on his way. Especially as I had just printed out an HPI report 2 days before.

I think they were trying to clone cars.

illegalhunter
28th August 2008, 10:00 AM
I Would Be Might Sus Of This

C.Noble
28th August 2008, 10:07 AM
So... got the following email about my car....

Hi Fergus, thanks for your reply with this great news, however before I commit myself to such a purchase and decide to come over to view the car I would like to make sure that everything is OK with it, so please email me as many pictures as you have, the registration number, the chassis and engine numbers and a scanned copy of the V5 registration document by email or by fax at xxxxxxxxxxxx

So I supplied reg number so an HPI check could be carried out but refused to supply the rest. Maybe getting to suspicous in my old age.... I will of course supply pics of the car.

Oh, and while your at it, could you include two recent amenity bills, a copy of your passport and birth certificate! :rolleyes:

Sounds over the top to me.

rocker4500
28th August 2008, 10:54 AM
Deffinitly a sca, callled social engineering!

Just take pics of the chasis plate but blur the numbers out and send it off to him, that will sort the bugger out lol.

ianking
28th August 2008, 11:48 AM
Speaking to a mate who has a dealership and I was telling him about this.

He was told recently by one of the finance reps that this kind of thing has been happening alot. Teams of dodgy characters have been sourcing out cars of value that have no finance attached to them and then taking out finance via some dodgy broker. Getting the money for the car paid to them. Makng only 1 or 2 months payments then clearing off. The true owner of the vehicle knows nothing about it.

However anyone can get a chassis number just from the reg number by HPI ing the reg number. The result gives you all the numbers you need.

FergusM
28th August 2008, 12:40 PM
Apart from the V5 documents...which of course they cannot see.

FergusM
29th August 2008, 08:36 AM
Definitely a scam...still getting emails saying interested in coming to view this weekend....but not before I send the V5 document to him.....what a joke !

Gismo
29th August 2008, 08:46 AM
Time to string him along, i would make up a fake V5 and e-mail it to him and see what happens :thumbs up:

Smitty
29th August 2008, 09:23 AM
Time to string him along, i would make up a fake V5 and e-mail it to him and see what happens :thumbs up:

That could backfire......what if he then goes to the police for you making fake V5's!! :Whistle:

Tell him where to get to, or at least speak to him over the phone. Can tell much more from a phone call conversation than email.

ianking
29th August 2008, 09:34 AM
Yeah what Smitty says. Has the guy not called. Most folk when interested in a car are going to pnone. Infact I would phone in the 1st instance then perhaps email after confirming details etc.
I would speak to them on the phone saying that you would rather they came and viewed it.
However I still think its a scam.

Have you tried contacting dealers to see what price they would give you for it. Obviously wont be anywhere near the same as private but if you want to get shot of it you just drive it in and they will write you a cheque.

Craig
29th August 2008, 09:38 AM
I would be very careful about phoning, as these guys if they are scammers, are prob not in this country and have a number you call which they make a few quid per minute on.. :frown:

My advice is forget about him and don't do anything. ;)

Gismo
29th August 2008, 10:33 AM
That could backfire......what if he then goes to the police for you making fake V5's!! :Whistle:It's a scam, he aint going anywhere near the police, they'd probably be happy to see him :thumbs up:
Besides, it's only a doctored V5 with stupid details on it, a jpeg picture of one :rolleyes:

FergusM
29th August 2008, 11:49 AM
Told him where to go.....hopefully the last I'll hear of him, wonder how many other scammers will try before I sell the car...mmmm

Smitty
29th August 2008, 11:59 PM
Told him where to go.....hopefully the last I'll hear of him, wonder how many other scammers will try before I sell the car...mmmm

Unfortunately Fergus, I don't think they will be the last :argh: :frown: