PDA

View Full Version : R55 MINI Cooper S engine rebuild

The Dogfather
26th August 2008, 06:57 PM
Hi guys,

Some of you may already know this from NM, my car is in the workshop having what seems to be major work done on the engine. It's been in since last Wednesday and at the moment they are still unsure what is causing the problem.

I first noticed the problem under full power the engine would rev normally then suddenly cut out for a split second followed by the engine driving as normal. After a while the engine light came on (low power mode) and I was able to limp home.

The car went into the garage were the initial diagnosis was a turbo and wastegate problem causing over-boosting, I believe both have been replaced. However, the car is still miss-firing on cylinder 2 and they are now going a pressure test on the cylinder.

Any ideas on how much damage has been caused and how? Also what if anything can I expect if I try to push for a full replacement engine rather than a rebuild.

Any advice welcome, althought I've already spoken to Consumer Direct about what action to take. Not sure I want to go as far as sale of goods act etc.

AndyP & Lenore
26th August 2008, 07:28 PM
Paul, Sale Of Goods act is your fall-back if the dealer or MINI start messing you about.

I think I'd be pushing for a full engine. Or maybe even a replacement vehicle. How old is you MINI? You do fairly high mileage, but from a calendar point of view the car is fairly new from what I recall. The trouble is: "Reasonable period of time" is not defined.

Maybe it's too early to start going down the rejection route, but I'd be screaming for a new engine right now.

A:sad:

Craig
26th August 2008, 07:45 PM
I agree with Andy on this one Paul.... you really don't want an engine in there that is inherently faulty... :frown:

It may be that they will fix the problem, but how can they really be sure that nothing else has been damaged and will fail in the near future..

I would tell them that you want a new engine, especially as they are having a problem fixing it in the first place. :shut up:

Best of luck with it Paul, it seems increasingly that the R56 S engine has more problems (including the lack of fix for the diesel noise nearly 2 years down the line :thud::nag:)

Gismo
26th August 2008, 10:39 PM
But what if it isn't a mechanical fault :frown: it could be electrical and then there wouldn't be any need for an engine or a rebuild.

I don't see how you can demand anything, providing it's fixed it'll be all under warranty, besides, you never keep a car long enough for that to run out :Whistle:

The Dogfather
26th August 2008, 10:54 PM
They've already ruled out electrical and injector issues.

If its a worse case i.e. needs a rebuild then I'm going to push for a new engine as I don't want to be tracking back and forth to the dealership with other problems later, even if I don't keep the car very long. Demanding won't work but negotiation might.

I've already stated I won't be happy with a rebuild and will escalate it as far as needed.

Ferengo
26th August 2008, 11:07 PM
I'm probably wrong hre but you mentioned a problem with the turbo? I thought only the R56 S had a turbo and all others before had a supercharger? I know this dosn't help but if they don't know the difference it may be time to worry about what they are actually doing to your car:eek:.

Scottie
26th August 2008, 11:10 PM
Paul has the dealer mentioned an engine rebuild to you?

why do you think there will be damage already done to the engine the cause for a misfire is generally not mechanical is it:confused:.

you didn't put the wrong fuel in did you.??

Scottie
26th August 2008, 11:12 PM
they have tested the fuel???

sounds like the many complaints I've had in the past even though you think you put unleaded in there may have been cross contamination at the retail site.

Just an idea.

AndyP & Lenore
26th August 2008, 11:30 PM
I'm probably wrong hre but you mentioned a problem with the turbo? I thought only the R56 S had a turbo and all others before had a supercharger? I know this dosn't help but if they don't know the difference it may be time to worry about what they are actually doing to your car:eek:.

The Dogfather has an R56 Cooper S Clubman.

A.

Gismo
26th August 2008, 11:30 PM
I'm not so sure a misfire can be mechanical, that would be a partial sealing of the piston rings, or the valve stem and guides and then nothing.
I guess the rings could be broken and only seal in one direction though that doesn't add up.
My bet if the engine misfires on one cylinder it's likely to be electrical or fuel realated.
Obviously fingers crossed it's fixed to your satisfaction

The Dogfather
27th August 2008, 12:26 AM
Reading between the lines from whats been said, I think the turbo failure has caused too much heat and pressure until a valve seal or piston ring has given way on cylinder 2.

But this is just a bit of educated guess work based on a few bits and pieces gleaned from what MINI UK have told the garage to test. All electrical and injector problems have been ruled out.

Misfiring would be present on more than one cylinder if it was fuel.

ianking
27th August 2008, 08:37 AM
Surely if the valve seal or piston ring was worn then the engine would be pis$ing blue smoke out the exhaust.
Any miss firing I have experiened over the years (all with old crappy cars mind you) have either been electrical or lack of fuel. Could be lack of fuel just to the one cylinder.

Crombers
27th August 2008, 10:23 AM
Time to sink back to the safe sanctuary of the Fiesta TDCi :moonie: ;) :D

Sorry to hear this Paul, hope a fix is just around the corner.

Forbes
27th August 2008, 04:11 PM
So this is a R56 and not a R55 as in the title?

Hope it is a quick and stress free fix for you.

Big Gordy
27th August 2008, 04:17 PM
Could be wrong but I think the R55 refers to the clubman shape:Whistle:

Livi
27th August 2008, 04:25 PM
Could be wrong but I think the R55 refers to the clubman shape:Whistle:

Correct! :D

R52 is Convertible
R55 is Clubman

everyone else knows the rest :hand:

Forbes
27th August 2008, 04:50 PM
Ahhh so whats R51 and R54?

Livi
27th August 2008, 04:58 PM
Ahhh so whats R51 and R54?

Bikes? :laugh:

only Mini R numbers are:

R50 - One, Cooper (up to 06)
R53 - Cooper S (up to 06)

R52 - Convertible (from 04)

R56 - One, Cooper and Cooper S (from late 06)

R55 - Clubman ( from 08)

In that order.

Forbes
27th August 2008, 05:00 PM
Arite. So is the facelift still a R50 like 04-06?

Livi
27th August 2008, 05:06 PM
Arite. So is the facelift still a R50 like 04-06?

yep, but if my memory serves me right, i think it was late 04 the facelifts came out

*sorry for Hi-jack of topic :off topic: * :hand:

The Dogfather
27th August 2008, 07:00 PM
Its an exhaust valve, so a full rebuild is not required, should be back by the weekend, hopefully.

Gismo
27th August 2008, 07:15 PM
Its an exhaust valve, so a full rebuild is not required, should be back by the weekend, hopefully.Nice one :thumbs up:

AndyP & Lenore
27th August 2008, 07:33 PM
Thats good news mate.:thumbs up::thumbs up:

A.;)

Ferengo
27th August 2008, 10:25 PM
Ah. I just saw R55 and asumed that it was pre R56. My bad:rolleyes:.

The Dogfather has an R56 Cooper S Clubman.

A.

Crombers
28th August 2008, 07:23 AM
if my memory serves me right, i think it was late 04 the facelifts came out

It was the summer of 04 ;). Mine was one of the last of the originals, a May 04 build & I picked up the car 07/06/04.

illegalhunter
28th August 2008, 09:37 AM
atleast its fixed now