PDA

View Full Version : Spotty Beemer

Gismo
26th August 2008, 08:47 AM
Last place i thought i'd need to be :eek:
Anyway's, Me Julie's beemer was parked at her work where a lot of construction is being carried out.
She was advised by a colleague that her car had been covered in paint spots :ragin:
Initially she thought it was indeed paint, but, i reckon it's more likely to be dried plaster.
I can get the spots off with a finger nail but am wary of doing this on the M3, so, i was thinking, ok, they should pay to have the spots removed, but, i simply don't trust them.
So, what can i do??
I have a clay bar, will this work and how do i use it :blush: assuming this will work, what do i need from there to get the car back to having a coat of something on it.
I have Meguiars car wash and the gold class liquid car wax, is this enough for Julie's standard of protection :Whistle: which is higher than mine :blush:

The Dogfather
26th August 2008, 08:59 AM
I'd get a quote from a quality detailer and get them to pay for it. I'm sure Ian King would oblige :D

Gismo
26th August 2008, 09:26 AM
I'd get a quote from a quality detailer and get them to pay for it. I'm sure Ian King would oblige :DExactly my thoughts :computer:

ianking
26th August 2008, 09:32 AM
Yes clay will remove the plaster or cement spots but it will scratch the paint to buggery in the process as the cement will be getting moved over the paint surface. The car will most definately need a machine polish afterwards.
Can you post up a pic close up of the spots?
How much of the car is covered?

Gismo
26th August 2008, 09:59 AM
Hmm, car is away at the moment, but from memory, all the rear quarter and screen and most probably the whole of one side.
I obviously am quite concerned that after the removal of the spots that a virtually brand new car will need a machine polish :eek:
Is this ok and won't invalidate the paint warranty

ianking
26th August 2008, 10:19 AM
Machine polish wont invalidate any paint warranty.

Most new cars need a machine polish after the dealers have valeted them anyway.

With the machine polish you are just removing a tiny micron of top coat. So little that you would never be able to measure it without the use of a paint thickness quage. Dealerships dont even have these machines.

If you want any info on removal and costs involved then send me a pm.

Scottie
26th August 2008, 10:56 AM
I would try with a jet wash first then give the car a good soak with hot water plus solution as you can stand see if that lifts the cement/plaster of the car.