PDA

View Full Version : Halo Sidelights and the Police

Jack678
25th August 2008, 09:49 PM
arite folks...just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem as me.

I've got the Ultraauto halo sidelights on my mini and the other night the police booked me for them as they said they were tinted blue? but according to Ultraauto they are 100% legal.

so has anyone else been booked for them? :(

Gismo
25th August 2008, 09:52 PM
I'm not sure if i have the same kind, but, i would take the info from the supplier to the police for more advice, if they reckon they are still illegal contact the supplier again

Jack678
25th August 2008, 10:03 PM
well i got them from Lohen, if thats the same as yours.

Gismo
25th August 2008, 10:08 PM
well i got them from Lohen, if thats the same as yours.Sorry, mine were supplied by mikeythemini, but they are e-marked, i think :blush:

Craig
25th August 2008, 10:20 PM
these units made by Ultra are e-marked and are NOT illegal.

I had them on one of my cars and I got questioned by said plod about them due to where I work..:Whistle:

I hope you haven't paid the fine yet, as I would contact the man in charge of the area who gave you the ticket with the information supplied by the manufacturer. Don't pay the ticket as they lights are legal. You have done nothing wrong. :smilewinkgrin:

Craig
25th August 2008, 10:23 PM
Info on mikeys site HERE (http://www.newministuff.com/new/shop.php?action=productshow&id=280) stating that they are e-marked and legal and I don't think Mikey would put any of this info on his site if it wasn't gospel... Also I think he has them on his Cooper S. :thumbs up:

Jack678
25th August 2008, 10:30 PM
what documentation would you need? i no longer have the box or anything that they came with? :S

Jack678
25th August 2008, 10:30 PM
oh and thanks very much for your help and advice! really didn't want to have to change my lights. :D

Craig
25th August 2008, 10:35 PM
what documentation would you need? i no longer have the box or anything that they came with? :S

I would contact the re-seller for the info, or I am sure if you ask Mikey, he could give you the info you need.

Best of luck and don't back down... ;)

Sheilz
25th August 2008, 10:35 PM
This sounds like a load of nonsense. How many times have I passed lorries with rows of blue lights across the front of them?! Surely if you take the bulb out when you go to the station it should have some kind of number on it? have they nothing better to do with their time :frown:

Jack678
25th August 2008, 10:43 PM
yeh i know....this past few weeks i feel i have been victimised purely because i am a young driver. i was parked in a car park speaking to my mates(i was even in a parking space) and they pulled up and started looking for things that weren't right. and that was all they could find. This isn't the only time this has happened. nearly every time i go back to turriff this happens. :@ what annoys me the most is the amount of cars i know that are going about with out insurance and drivers who are on drugs or drunk! just really gets on my nerves.

Jack678
25th August 2008, 10:45 PM
also most of us have probably noticed the blue tinge that xenons have. the officer told me that blue lights are for emergency vehicles only...i argued the fact that my lights were not neon blue or even that blue at all. :(

PASL
25th August 2008, 11:14 PM
Jack678 (http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/member.php?u=1872)

I had the same problem last year mate. you can get hold of the details from ultras web site

Hope this helps

Forbes
26th August 2008, 12:41 AM
There was a thing on by the police to catch young drivers and motorcyclists over the weekend there. You might of just been unlucky. I also have the same side lights and i havent had any problems what so ever for them, including sitting opposite a police car for 5 mins. Think you would just have been making up there "hits" for that night.

s-a-l-t-i-r-e
26th August 2008, 06:17 PM
arite folks...just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem as me.

I've got the Ultraauto halo sidelights on my mini and the other night the police booked me for them as they said they were tinted blue? but according to Ultraauto they are 100% legal.

so has anyone else been booked for them? :(

Whatever happened to "Innocent till proven Guilty...??"

Seems its the other way round with the police, they should have to prove you guilty not you prove you are innocent...!!!!

Just dont pay the fine and let them take you to court.... Judge will throw it out...!!! Then write to the papers about police wasting public money... :thumbs up:

Forbes
27th August 2008, 04:23 PM
^^^ Sounds like a plan.

MiniSnaps
27th August 2008, 05:08 PM
A lot of police have only a vague grasp of the law - when I was nowt but a lad I was done for speeding when bringing a car back from the mot station, so I had a hortie to take my docs down to the police station. When I explained to the plod on duty that the car didn't have an mot as it had failed and was been taken back to be repaired you would have thought I'd confessed to stealing the crown jewels. I was marched into a side office and read my rights and charged for not being able to produce the mot.

In the end I contacted the traffic division and a Chief Inspector came round to the house and personally appologised for the inconvenience. Last thing I heard he was away down to the local station to have "words" with the pc who booked me :laugh:

YngStvn
1st September 2008, 07:53 PM
I have these lights on my mini, Was pulled over and the police officer said 'just checking your lights he had one look at them and said there fine. Suppose it depends what police you get.

RyanK
1st September 2008, 08:59 PM
My theory is to avoid the beach, i have been fined for a couple of things in which were very petty. I was fined for my number plate as the font was 2mm off of the legal sizing & was issued 3 penalty points for front tinted windows when several people I know only received £30 fines. I was also stopped for allegedly wheelspinning away from traffic lights, when it was some twat in a clio who actually did.

With the number plate issue, I was driving down union street when the traffics drove past me and then did a U-turn and followed me straight after. How they can see a difference of 2mm from the other side of the road I do not know! Luckily with the points regarding window tints, I took the case to court and it was chucked out the door.

IMO as soon as they see a 'modded' car, they believe that there will be something illegal on the car :thumbs up: Of course, not all police are like this...but it seems that up in Aberdeen they are simply trying to get the young ones off the road

Sheilz
2nd September 2008, 10:13 PM
sIts the petty stuff that gives the coppers a bad press with folk and they wonder why they dont get respect. My eldest laddie was chatting to his mate down the beach a couple of weeks ago. Cops had pulled over one young moron who had undertaken the polis car (plonker!) and got pulled. Must have been a few of his mates were coming along behind him. When he got pulled the 'bad cop' was screaming in the lad's face (served him right) and generally reading the riot act while 'good cop' was indicating to the young lads passing (and jeering) to pull in so they could get a telling off too. Darren and his mate were just left laughing as the youngsters just ignored him and kept driving!
In this instance the laddie had been driving like an idiot and Darren thought he deserved everything coming to him but the contempt shown by the other drivers is perhaps reflective of the petty and at time indiscriminate hassling of young drivers common in Aberdeen rather than targeting those that do drive like idiots and endangering other people. Unfortunately I dont think the coppers know how to differentiate between a well cared for modified car and some of the clapped out corsas and such like with Mr Burberry at the wheel.
I detest folk driving dangerously in the city streets but I dont think oppressive and petty policing is the right way to go about stopping it.