PDA

View Full Version : eBay increase fees.

AndyP & Lenore
22nd August 2008, 10:10 AM
Got an email from eBay today with their new fee structure.

Some fees have doubled! Insertion fees on lower priced auctions have increased significantly and Buy It Now final value fees for items from £30 to £50 have double to 9.9%.

Final value fees on auction listings have gone up also, but by a more sensible increase.

All added together, along with the high rates of receiving money through Pay Pal, it makes selling on eBay a very expensive business these days.

I sold my HTC phone through ebay for £150. After all the fees and charges for listing, final value selling and Pay Pal, I was left with about £110.

The statement: "ach, just fling it on eBay and get rid of it" Now needs a bit more thought than it used to.

A.:sad:

Ferengo
22nd August 2008, 10:40 AM
Mad. Everything is going up in price. People are tightening their pockets which means having to sell for less on ebay and pay more to do it.

I remember when I first started using ebay back in 2001, man it was sooooo good. Bargains, selling things for more than you thought, all the crap you have lying around selling and making you money. Those days are gone:frown:

Is there a reason why ebay are doing this?

There is a dodgy way around it though. Once you have completed the transaction and left feedback, use the option to not complete the transaction. If both parties agree, feedback still remains and fees are returned.

I might start listing to worldwide or even accept cheque only, though that might go the other way.

Is there a link to the increases they are demanding on their site?

Ferengo
22nd August 2008, 10:43 AM
Found it. Here for anyones ref:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/pricechange08/

GAJ
22nd August 2008, 01:39 PM
I've been using ebay since 1999 and it has totally changed since then. Back in those day's if you wanted to use paypal you had to transact in USD. There were also viable alternatives to eBay like QXL and alternatives to paypal like nochex. There are more and more businesses using eBay now, more users and you don't tend to get the bargains you once did. Apart from the fee increases, for certain categories they insist on paypal payment only, which means you can't use the dodge mentioned above.

The Dogfather
22nd August 2008, 02:06 PM
Has anyone tried buying from a shop. I've just bought a PS3 80Gb today, it was cheaper than buying from Ebay and I didn't have to pay for delivery and when I handed over my cash I knew the item was going to show up.

I'd recommend it to anyone, even my closest friends.

AndyP & Lenore
22nd August 2008, 06:34 PM
I know what you mean Paul. And tbh, there are a good few online retailers now who will beat most genuine prices on ebay.

If you've just bought a PS3, you'll be looking to get Call Of Duty 4 and join in the NMS madness.:thumbs up:

A.:D

illegalhunter
22nd August 2008, 09:44 PM
Ebay is full of fakes , its all washed up