PDA

View Full Version : Service Pack 3

mini saltire
21st August 2008, 09:06 AM
A thread for those far more technical than me. I keep getting prompted to load service pack 3 (microsoft) onto my lap top. I have been advised against it by a collegue of mine as he said it is full of problems. Anyone else have an opinion on this please?

Gismo
21st August 2008, 09:42 AM
I'm guessing you don't have internet explorer 7 installed either??

In any case, i'm quite happy with service pack 3 on all my pc's, no bugs are slowness etc.
You can revert IE7 if you don't like it as well, or don't install it in the first place.

As like many other windows updates, they all carry some amount of bugs etc, but, they are generally released to make your PC run better and more efficient, i would install

Burple
21st August 2008, 10:14 AM
Umm.. do you mean IE8? Or 7? in that first sentence? 3 was quite a while ago ;)

I wasn't involved with that at our place this year, but juts helped roll out our latest incarnation of the XP desktop to several hundred PCs.. service pack 3 (at least most of it) is in there somewhere, and we've had no problems so far :D
Pretty much waht BS says security wise, and if you don't like IE7 (or 8), bin it and download Firefox!!!! :thumbs up:

I had a wee issue with a windows update a few weeks back, in that after the install it wouldn't let me connect to the web, but that was only cos whatever had updated was fighting the my firewall (incidentally it was Zonealarm). that's all sorted now tho...

I'm guessing you don't have internet explorer 3 installed either??

In any case, i'm quite happy with service pack 3 on all my pc's, no bugs are slowness etc.
You can revert IE7 if you don't like it as well, or don't install it in the first place.

As like many other windows updates, they all carry some amount of bugs etc, but, they are generally released to make your PC run better and more efficient, i would install

Gismo
21st August 2008, 10:25 AM
Umm.. do you mean IE8? Or 7? in that first sentence? 3 was quite a while ago ;)Fixed :blush: i did mean 7, cause you could select not to install that at service pack 2 and i think IE8 is still a beta

Craig
21st August 2008, 10:44 AM
The only caution I would give you is that I updated my laptop to SP3 last week and my wireless card stopped working. Something to do with 2 .dll files that had been overwritten by the SP3 upgrade. After much faffing about on the net, I found new drivers and got the card working, but without the monitor software... :eyes up:

that is the only problem I have had with it...

mini saltire
21st August 2008, 11:33 AM
Thanks guys, I know nothing about the technical side of computers (as Craig knows all to well) so thanks for your imput. I'll upgrade tonght. At best it will stop my good lady shopping online while I'm out playing football :laugh:

Big Gordy
21st August 2008, 11:44 AM
At best it will stop my good lady shopping online while I'm out playing football

They've not invented a firewall to stop that yet Mark unfortunately:frown:
However does will make more money on it than Bill Gates:eek::smilewinkgrin:

mini saltire
21st August 2008, 12:18 PM
They've not invented a firewall to stop that yet Mark unfortunately:frown:
However does will make more money on it than Bill Gates:eek::smilewinkgrin:

PMSL :laugh::laugh: