PDA

View Full Version : ipod help???

ianking
20th August 2008, 08:58 AM
Ipod has packed up after many years of service.
It was the original nano so looking to buy one that has more capacity and is a bit better.

Either the 80gig classic or the 16gig touch. The 32gig touch is just too expensive.

Is the touch worth it. I noticed that it is wi-fi compatable. Does that mean it will work with my BT wireless hub thing? Are there many places I can take advanatage of the wi-fi?

Is the touch reliable or should I stick with the classic. All these types of products tend to get battered and scratched about with me.
Are there different versions of the touch. If I go for it I dont want old stock. i.e version 1 or 2.

thanks

euan
20th August 2008, 09:29 AM
I looked into this earlier in the year and went for a classic as I mainly use it for music and not videos, so there wasn't any point in me getting a touch, much as I love the interface!

I've also used it to store photos and have displayed them onto a TV as well which works well (bored the in-laws with the wedding pics this way!)

32GB is too expensive, it'll should come down before xmas but that's still 4 months away.

Wifi will work over your BT, you can add-on things to it like a DAB streamer if that's of interest (so if you dock it in your house you essentially have an ipod and radio).

I've had no issue with my classic at all.

ianking
20th August 2008, 09:38 AM
Thanks for the info

The touch does sound more advanced than the classic anyway.
Im not sure if a 16 gb would be enough for me as I want it to last a while.

Im away on hols in about 5 weeks so I want a new ipod this week hopefully so that I can start loading it with my music.
the wi-fi would be good if the hotel has it by the pool

Bazthemod
20th August 2008, 09:43 AM
I have an ipod touch and cant fault it, its the main reason i went for an iphone. There is a new range of ipods coming out later in the year so prices should dip soon but probably be more than 5 weeks away.

The wifi rocks, i hardly take my laptop anywhere now as the ipod is so handy for browsing the net.

euan
20th August 2008, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the info

The touch does sound more advanced than the classic anyway.
Im not sure if a 16 gb would be enough for me as I want it to last a while.

The capacity was the main thing for me, as my old ipod already had 20GB on it so I knew a 16GB touch was too small and couldn't justify the extra for a 32GB touch.

What phone do you have, as if you have a 3G/wi-fi enabled one your more likely to not use the most of touch functions.

If money was no object, I'd have had a 32GB touch as I think the interface is just superb.

ianking
20th August 2008, 10:58 AM
I dont have a fancy phone. Its a nokia 6500 clasic black.

The touch is tempting. Do any of the big electrical retailers have them out on display fired up so that i can see the interface etc.

Bazthemod
20th August 2008, 11:36 AM
We do... but its secured in a fixed case so you cant tilt it etc but you can play with the interface. Not sure if all branches are the same, we are one of the biggest stores so have fancy stuff that others dont :p

I struggled with the capacity thing on the touch and my iphone... way i got round it was to only sync my playlists and not my full library... i very seldom listen to most of my library and found myself listening to same tracks so was pointless storing the songs i only listen to once in a while.

ianking
20th August 2008, 12:12 PM
...way i got round it was to only sync my playlists and not my full library... i very seldom listen to most of my library and found myself listening to same tracks so was pointless storing the songs i only listen to once in a while.

????? How do I do this ????

Im no very good with ipods to be honest.

I do like the idea of the touch having wi-fi so that I can log into itunes and buy music and it goes straight onto the machine without having to connect it to the PC.

Bazthemod
20th August 2008, 12:25 PM
its in the menu of your ipod when you sync it with itunes, you basically just tick the box beside the playlists you want to transfer. Obviously it would just update each time you sync if your top 25 changes. Also any playlist you make up yourself can be transfered too.

Im thinking of selling my touch as i dont use it now with having an iphone, dont know if you would be interested but its mint, and i still have the box & everything. :smilewinkgrin:

euan
20th August 2008, 12:29 PM
its in the menu of your ipod when you sync it with itunes, you basically just tick the box beside the playlists you want to transfer. Obviously it would just update each time you sync if your top 25 changes. Also any playlist you make up yourself can be transfered too.

Im thinking of selling my touch as i dont use it now with having an iphone, dont know if you would be interested but its mint, and i still have the box & everything. :smilewinkgrin:

Smooth :D

Ian - here's a link to the Apple site telling you how to do this - LINK (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1351?viewlocale=en_US)

ianking
20th August 2008, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the help

Baz,
what capacity is your ipod touch?

ianking
20th August 2008, 03:12 PM
Just been on Amazon looking at prices for the touch.

It seems as though there is an earlier version without software upgrade that is a fair bit cheaper. Does any one know the difference and what I would easily distinguish the early and late versions in the shop.

Smitty
20th August 2008, 03:29 PM
It seems as though there is an earlier version without software upgrade that is a fair bit cheaper. Does any one know the difference and what I would easily distinguish the early and late versions in the shop.

Ian - there will be no difference. The first time you plug it into iTunes it will prompt you to download the new software (fixes bugs, adds new features, adds system stability etc). Then just let iTunes do it's work and it will update it all for you.

Obviously as these updates come available Apple will ship their new iPod's with them already installed, but the one's you are looking at are obviously just a bit older.

ianking
20th August 2008, 03:32 PM
Thanks

So a brand new 16 gig touch for £209 is a bargain then as it will sort its self when its plugged into the PC

Smitty
20th August 2008, 03:36 PM
Yeah, that seems like a very good deal :thumbs up:

Another option to consider could be an actual iPhone. Does everything an iPod Touch does plus more. All depends whether you need a new phone and if you are tied into a current contract etc., but could work out cheaper as you can pick up a 16GB iPhone from £159 to free depending on the contract.

ianking
20th August 2008, 03:59 PM
Yeah I wish I had thought about that but I just entered into a new contract only 2 months ago. I did get a free samsung 19' LCD HD TV though with the contract so its not all that bad.

Smitty
20th August 2008, 04:02 PM
I did get a free samsung 19' LCD HD TV though with the contract so its not all that bad.

Now that's a damm good offer!! :D

Your best bet then is that Touch from Amazon :thumbs up:

FergusM
20th August 2008, 06:58 PM
What happened to your old one ? My wifes came up with the sad face...dropped it from about waist height and it now works fine again :)

I would always go for flash based ones (as in the touch) rather than the classic with the hard disc...flash memory is much more reliable with no moving parts.

ianking
20th August 2008, 08:47 PM
The lock button on ours is knackered so it thinks its locked all the time.

There is a guy on detailingworld selling a brand new in wrapper touch 16 gig for £170. Do I buy it or do I go out whole hog and but a 32 gig touch new for £309. I have some pennies saved away but wouldnt mind buying the cheaper and some clothes.

Craig
20th August 2008, 09:56 PM
I've seen some of your shirts Ian, you could do with some new clothes... go for the cheaper option... ;)

Gismo
20th August 2008, 10:01 PM
I've seen some of your shirts Ian, you could do with some new clothes... go for the cheaper option... ;)Quality :D:moonie:

Bazthemod
20th August 2008, 10:19 PM
Mines is a 16GB and is on the older software version, to upgrade to 2.0 apple will charge you £5.99 for the pleasure, not a huge expense but it annoys me a great deal that i paid £279 then 4 months later they want to charge me for an upgrade :rolleyes:

Im looking for about £150 for mine, it has some scratches on the rear where the case i use has gaps for a belt loop but rest is perfect.

Let me kno if ur interested, if not ill probs just keep it for the car stereo lol :p

Scottie
20th August 2008, 10:32 PM
Mines is a 16GB and is on the older software version, to upgrade to 2.0 apple will charge you £5.99 for the pleasure, not a huge expense but it annoys me a great deal that i paid £279 then 4 months later they want to charge me for an upgrade :rolleyes:

Im looking for about £150 for mine, it has some scratches on the rear where the case i use has gaps for a belt loop but rest is perfect.

Let me kno if ur interested, if not ill probs just keep it for the car stereo lol :p

£150 h'mm:D:D and mines is already upgraded

Bazthemod
20th August 2008, 10:43 PM
Fair price, check ebay, not desperate to sell :hand:

Scottie
20th August 2008, 10:54 PM
Ian I have a Apple iPod Video 30GB White that I could sell you.

ianking
21st August 2008, 08:44 AM
Its OK folks I have bought the brand new touch 16gig that the fella on detailing world was selling.

Leaves me with some spare cash for more 'loud' holiday shirts.