PDA

View Full Version : What Phone.....

Craig
14th August 2008, 07:09 PM
OK, I am due to re-negotiate my mobile contract very soon and I will be due a new phone. Due to me being banned at work from my personal email and NMS, I want a phone that is good at Email and Web Access (speed and ease of use are important).

I am looking at about £30 to £35 per month and for that I am looking at about 600 minutes, unlimited texts and web browsing... ;)

The problem I am having is that I was nearly 90% sold on the iPhone 3G, but its been getting a bad name recently due to problems with 3G reception in known good areas... I don't really want to get a phone with known faults... If you have one - can you comment...

Other thought is to get a Blackberry as they are made for these applications..

I am also a Nokia fan, so I keep telling myself not to go for anything else but Nokia as I keep trying other makes and always come back to Nokia...

HELP ! ! ! !

stoney
14th August 2008, 07:13 PM
i have just got the lg touch screan one and its brill real easy to work

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAjQUVwdmag

Scottie
14th August 2008, 08:01 PM
So far I've not had a problem with reception using 3g

Since getting the phone I've had reception in

Stirling area
Falkirk
Dunblane
Oban
Perth
St Andrews

Craig
14th August 2008, 08:21 PM
thanks Stoney - I did look at that phone, but Marky already has it, and I didn't like the menu options... :blush:

Fi, interesting you say that as those areas are where I will be using most... maybe the reports on the net are not true in our areas and maybe only in other areas... ;)

Bazthemod
14th August 2008, 10:15 PM
no probs with iphone 3g connection for me :smilewinkgrin:

Gismo
15th August 2008, 03:49 AM
Craig, I'm interested to read where you say the bad press is coming from regarding bad areas for the iPhone 3g reception??
As i'll be using mine a lot in Montrose i want to make sure it isn't one of "those" areas :thumbs up:

Craig
15th August 2008, 07:37 AM
Craig, I'm interested to read where you say the bad press is coming from regarding bad areas for the iPhone 3g reception??
As i'll be using mine a lot in Montrose i want to make sure it isn't one of "those" areas :thumbs up:

I've read some articles on the net (just do a google search for iphone 3g bad reception) and they are pointing to a bad hardware design for the internal 3g antenna... I didn't know if this was all phones, or just a small batch but it seems that those on here have no problems at all...;)

Crombers
15th August 2008, 07:56 AM
I'm not gonna be of any use to you on this one mate,

Am I not meant to ask you Q's like this ............ :D

euan
15th August 2008, 09:59 AM
Well, I've got 600 mins, unlimited texts and unlimited data for 20 quid a month on Orange with a 3G Sony C902, which is a great wee phone.

Depends what you want it for - for me it's fine for browsing as I usually use the RSS feeds to get news and stuff. It's also perfectly usable on mobile versions of sites, though if a site isn't mobile enabled it's not as good as iPhone would be.

Mini Ecosse
15th August 2008, 12:55 PM
Fi, interesting you say that as those areas are where I will be using most...... ;)

OMG Oban area :eek: :eek::Whistle: :Whistle:;bigwave:

Stephen

ny152
16th August 2008, 12:55 AM
What about the Nokia E71 (http://shop.nokia.co.uk/nokia-uk/product.aspx?sku=3862813&culture=en-GB&cp=localbuynow&pp=homeShopTsr_E71) Craig? Especially if you keep going back to Nokia anyway...

Craig
16th August 2008, 10:16 AM
What about the Nokia E71 (http://shop.nokia.co.uk/nokia-uk/product.aspx?sku=3862813&culture=en-GB&cp=localbuynow&pp=homeShopTsr_E71) Craig? Especially if you keep going back to Nokia anyway...

Yeah Allen, thought about that one, but the buttons are quite small for my big thumbs, plus the guy at my work has one and he would just turn round and say " ah, so you bought it cos I told you about it"... cannae have that cos he is just a w*nk..... :shut up::moonie:

Will still give it a look...

Front runners at the moment are...

Nokia 6220
Nokia E66
Iphone

:thumbs up:

AndyP & Lenore
16th August 2008, 10:46 AM
Yeah Allen, thought about that one, but the buttons are quite small for my big thumbs, plus the guy at my work has one and he would just turn round and say " ah, so you bought it cos I told you about it"... cannae have that cos he is just a w*nk..... :shut up::moonie:

Will still give it a look...

Front runners at the moment are...

Nokia 6220
Nokia E66
Iphone

:thumbs up:

I told you about the E66. And I HAVE an E66. If you buy that would you say the same about me? Well? Eh? Eh?:laugh:

A.:D

Smitty
16th August 2008, 09:12 PM
No 3G problems from me either and that's ranging from Aviemore up in the North all the way to Leamington Spa down south.

Used the 3G, GPS and Google Maps to guide me down south and the connection was zip quick (for a phone anyway)!!

Craig
16th August 2008, 09:31 PM
Thanks young man - looks like it is still in the lead for me anyway... ;)

Smitty
16th August 2008, 10:15 PM
Seriously Craig, I really can't fault it. If you put in the work before hand to sync your contacts, music, photos, emails etc is just works like a dream.

Plus the App Store is an incredible time waster - so many good free apps that you just have to download and spend time playing about with!! :computer:

I can understand your 3G concern - but no problems from me or any of the other iPhone users on here so I think you can sleep easy on that one!! :yes nod:

Craig
16th August 2008, 10:31 PM
yeah fast internet access and email is my main need for this phone... I know it will work as a phone and text machine, so I don't need to worry about that. Also the good thing is that unlimited email and internet is included with the contract... :thumbs up:

Still keep thinking about Nokia, as I have never had one let me down yet... :confused:

Craig
16th August 2008, 10:37 PM
I told you about the E66. And I HAVE an E66. If you buy that would you say the same about me? Well? Eh? Eh?:laugh:

Well, I wouldn't describe you as a w@nk, so NAW !!

the E66 is a great looking phone and it will do all I want, BUT most normal contracts don't appear to have it available... It looks like I would have to buy the phone sim free and then use it with a new contract... :rolleyes:

AndyP & Lenore
17th August 2008, 12:22 AM
Well, I wouldn't describe you as a w@nk, so NAW !!

the E66 is a great looking phone and it will do all I want, BUT most normal contracts don't appear to have it available... It looks like I would have to buy the phone sim free and then use it with a new contract... :rolleyes:

That makes it virtually unworkable for you mate. TBH, I didn't realise no-one would be offering it for sale (on a contract). With it being a nice shiny new phone you would think the majors would want to offer it. But like I said by text earlier, it is classed as a business phone. You may get more luck if you went into an Orange store (Business certified) or a Vodafone store. Don't know if Vodafone have regular stores and business certified stores or just regular stores. I know some orange stores don't offer business phones and some do.

It looks like the iPhone is the easiest option for you. Least complicated anyway. And you can't argue with the rep it's getting from trusted members on here.:thumbs up:

AndyP & Lenore
27th August 2008, 09:12 AM
This BBC News article (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7582197.stm) states the iPhone doesn't have Flash or Java enabled. WTF?!? How can it surf the web without them? Are there Apple versions of these programs running on the phone? Or can you download them yourself? I can't see how any web browser can work properly without flash and java.:confused:

Just thought you should be aware of this Mr D.

A.:sad:

Gismo
27th August 2008, 09:54 AM
my 16gb iPhone has flash and java enabled and I posted from it and can view all sites no problem :computer:

Smitty
27th August 2008, 10:21 AM
They are correct - there is no Adobe Flash or Sun JVM (Java Virtual Machine) running on the iPhone. :frown:

But if you have a look at the websites you check regularly (i.e. web mails, forums, news sites, youtube etc) I very much doubt any of those will use Flash or Java based technologies.

These sites are more the one's you look at when your casualy surfing the net, which is not something you would do on your iPhone, more a desktop/laptop sort of thing.

Although, it would be damm nice if Apple could get their finger out and support them though, just for that added refinment. :yes nod:

Craig
29th August 2008, 09:53 AM
Well, the time is getting closer and the race is now between 2 phones...

The iPhone 3G and Nokia 6220 Classic.

2 reasons is that I have seen and used the iphone a wee bit and it is very easy to use and the Nokia because it looks a bit like the 6233 I had a year or so ago and I know the menus in and out. It also runs on symbian software so will be fairly easy to use on the net etc..

For those iphone 3g users out there - what is your battery life like ? how many days to you get on average?

just looked at some reports for the 6220 classic and it has REALLY bad battery life....:argh::argh:

The Dogfather
29th August 2008, 10:05 AM
Have you seen the Samsung Omnia on Orange?

http://www.product-reviews.net/wp-content/userimages/2008/06/samsung-launching-i900-omnia-smartphone-in-the-shadows-of-another-handset.jpg

16GB internal memory only on Orange
3G
4 x digital zoom
5 Megapixel camera
Bluetooth technology
conference calling
flash
FM Radio
HSDPA, 7.2Mbps
GPS and Wifi
MS email for exchange
Orange Music Player
quad band technology
Second camera
speaker phone
USB compatible
Video Calling
video capture
Video download
Video Messaging
Video playback
Video Streaming
Windows Mobile 6.1
You can also add Micro SDHC cards up to 32Gb. Smaller than the iphone and faster 3G speed.

This will also run sat nav software

Gismo
29th August 2008, 10:29 AM
Well, the time is getting closer and the race is now between 2 phones...

The iPhone 3G and Nokia 6220 Classic.
etc..

For those iphone 3g users out there - what is your battery life like ? how many days to you get on average?Craig, when i went down to Penrith to get the classic i used the iPhone more or less all the way from about Perth to Penrith with a stop for a coffee at Waverly :blush:
That was about 2-1/2 hours, it was on standby after that until around 7pm when i got home and had made 2 phone calls during the drive home.
I had about 1/3rd battery power left.
You aint gonna get great battery with any of these types of phones given that they are using a lot of power to access the net.
If i'm not really using it i can get 2 days standby, but, i'm probably gonna get into the habit of charging every night

The Dogfather
29th August 2008, 11:20 AM
There's also the Sony Xperia and the new Google Android phones on the way if you can wait.

Craig
29th August 2008, 12:08 PM
hate the Samsung menu system - had one for all of a few weeks before I got rid of it.... tried again a couple of years later and still hated it, so it went after a month...

as for the Sony or Google phone - I have had my fingers burnt by buying first editions of things before (R56S anyone ?:eyes up:) so at least the iphone is on it's 2nd edition... :computer:

Craig
29th August 2008, 12:10 PM
Craig, when i went down to Penrith to get the classic i used the iPhone more or less all the way from about Perth to Penrith with a stop for a coffee at Waverly :blush:
That was about 2-1/2 hours, it was on standby after that until around 7pm when i got home and had made 2 phone calls during the drive home.
I had about 1/3rd battery power left.
You aint gonna get great battery with any of these types of phones given that they are using a lot of power to access the net.
If i'm not really using it i can get 2 days standby, but, i'm probably gonna get into the habit of charging every night

yeah, I know, but I would like to get at least 2 days out of it... maybe unrealistic, but I would just hate to be caught out by no battery. Also I hear that you can't replace the battery in the iphone, is this right ?

The Dogfather
29th August 2008, 01:25 PM
Craig, the Omina is a Windows Mobile so it doesn't use the Samsung menu as is the Sony Xperia. You can't replace the battery in a iphone but if you get a power monkey (https://powertraveller.com/iwantsome/primatepower/powermonkey/)you can recharge without a plug. I use one of these to recharge my M700 whilst I'm out walking.

Scottie
29th August 2008, 06:07 PM
yeah, I know, but I would like to get at least 2 days out of it... maybe unrealistic, but I would just hate to be caught out by no battery. Also I hear that you can't replace the battery in the iphone, is this right ?

depending what you have the push settings set at will also effect your battery life.

Me I have it on manual at the moment or hourly.

I can easy get 2 days without charging my iphone even managed 3 days using the phone for texting and a couple phone calls and on the net a couple of times.

Craig
1st September 2008, 01:59 PM
Well, made the leap today and ordered my new phone.... Eventually went with the Nokia E66. This is classed as a business phone and is just out. Managed to convince the guy at vodafone to sell me one as it wasn't shown on their website.:smilewinkgrin:

I have always liked/used nokias and although I liked the iPhone, couldn't stretch at the moment to the £100 for the phone and the £35 per month for the contract.

I managed to get the phone for free, 200 mins and 1000 texts with unlimited web browsing for £27.50 per month. A great deal I think. Also if I find I don't use the net (which is pretty unlikely) I can "unbolt" that and save £5 per month. I might have got more minutes elsewhere, but I don't use it that much for talking, mostly texts and really wanted a phone for internet.

This phone came highly recommended by AndyP, so if it's nae use, it's his fault :Whistle::yes nod:

Getting delivered tomorrow to my work, so here's hoping I like it.:blush:

Thanks to all for their input - you helped me make the decision. :thumbs up:

smiler
3rd September 2008, 10:18 PM
So.... How's the new phone? Thought you were going to change network too?:argh: Did you decide to stay with what you know?

L.

Oops:eek: Need to remember to change my footer.

Craig
4th September 2008, 07:27 AM
New phone's great, but couldn't be bothered changing network and they gave me everything I wanted for less than I was expecting.... ;)

aye - and get yer sig changed..... VW owner...:eyes up: