PDA

View Full Version : Fitting 4 spotlights

Ferengo
13th August 2008, 09:42 AM
Anyone know how to fit 2 additional spotlights to your existing 2 on an R56 mini cooper?

rocker4500
13th August 2008, 09:47 AM
hmmmmmm, i have 4 on mine but then mine came like that! I did have to replace two with wipac ones cos one got smashed! But i didnt need to go changing the brackets or anything.
Are they offical BMW ones or others such as wipac?

Ferengo
13th August 2008, 10:08 AM
Official BMW ones. Does each of your lights have it's own bracket?

Ferengo
13th August 2008, 10:11 AM
Just had a look and your's isn't the R56. Think the wiring is different. I got Modern mini but it showed me how to wire 4 up like on yours and it is different I think. Thanks anyway.

Craig
13th August 2008, 05:08 PM
best speak to Weefossy. Malcolm has 4 wired and fitted to his R56 Clubby. He did the second set himself, so he should be able to provide some assistance. :thumbs up:

Ferengo
13th August 2008, 05:51 PM
Cheers Craig. Have sent him a PM to see if he can help.

weefossy
14th August 2008, 10:34 PM
The wiring part is easy if you have 2 already fitted. When you buy the next pair they will come with wiring connections. It was fairly easy to bi-wire them. I did it so that I could easily take off 2 or 4 when I sell the car. There was no need to fit extra fuses / resistors and you don't need to get BMW to do anything.

The harder part was the bracket. I made a stencil in MDF and got a friend to make a proper one out of metal which we painted black. Got the metal "flat bar" in B&Q and it was cheap. He then did some cutting and welding. It bolts onto the same place as where the original spots are fixed and runs behind the grill, so it is neatly out of sight. It's nowhere near as professional a finish as the one Colin's Dad has produced, but as it is out of sight, it doesn't matter.

I think I may still have the stencil, so I wil look it out. Are you on the Picnic run? Hope that is of some help

Ferengo
15th August 2008, 12:33 PM
Cheers man.

I am on the picnic run (It's our first run) so I will see you there.

Getting the first set fitted today with any luck. All I will need to do is find someone to cut it, would your friend be interested in a paid job for making another metal one?

Thanks again. Ferengo

weefossy
31st August 2008, 10:28 PM
Sorry for taking so long to come back to you. Big problem, I can't find the template I made....Doh!
I would need to take everything off the car, to make a copy. Sincere apologies. If it does need to come off for any reason (like getting a Works) I will do it then.

Ferengo
31st August 2008, 11:02 PM
Sorry for taking so long to come back to you. Big problem, I can't find the template I made....Doh!
I would need to take everything off the car, to make a copy. Sincere apologies. If it does need to come off for any reason (like getting a Works) I will do it then.

Cheers. Was gonna speak to you about it on Stoneys picnic run but I was a bit stuck in my shell being my first run and all :blush:. Am gonna have a look on sat to see if I can mod my existing brackets as I have 2 sets. If I figure it out or not I'll post my findings here as this seems to be a big problem on the R56. I did however find compatible ones over the pond but I realy want the OEM ones.